[Rant] Why are tourney quitters even allowed to participate?

Seriously.The 20 wins in tournament are made to get people to play the mode, correct?

So little story.5 people, meeting through LFG because you know, we're the audience for "getting to play that mode".4 of us get on discord, actually it goes pretty well. Maybe it could have led to some casual pvp team or guild or whatever? Who knows.

First match against a team of very good players. We lose 350/500. Not bad given the guys.Well, now the 4 of us can't play anymore because that 5th guy decides to insult the whole team in another language and quit.So after having to deal with last second decliner / leavers ( aka trolls), you gotta get with egocentric garbage in tourneys.I usually don't care. It's like ranked, some people are awful and you move on. Except tourneys are a large time commitment, and for once, we were all but one on discord, all with similar mentality, and actually having fun. It's the kind of thing that can really make you like a mode and want to keep going.

Nope, because one guy that should not be allowed in tourney decided to ruin it.I get that Anet is not responsible for people's awful behavior. What they are responsible for however is making sure this behavior is discouraged. Just like you see the same win traders / bots day after day in ranked and reports do nothing, this kind of behavior, especially in tourneys, is discouraging honest players to try it more than they need to. Meanwhile the one guy is still on, just doing other things after they ruined other players fun. I doubt they get much punishment for it, certainly not a month ban from tournament so it's going to affect other people.

And that's the problem, if tourneys are only going to be a nice experience for pvp guilds, if you're not going to be more punitive with people who do not understand the concept of a team, you're basically forcing the more casual pvpers to go through something that is just plain awful experience and then you can be sure they will never touch it again.

Seems like a problem with the tournament system. And the way it is set up. I can't imagine them banning leavers from tournaments. Would reduce the population even more. There should be an option for the team leave as well - but get rewards as if you stayed and ranked last. (So you won't need to waste your time staying and losing.)

And of course not too many matches (so it can be fast paced and people with not that much time can join).

I have never tried tournaments except back then 2012/13. I wonder if it is possible as low skill tier player. (Is there some kind of matchmaking or do just low skilled player teams get machted against plats and roflstomped? Would mean less interesting for lower tiered players = less population.)

Frpom the 350/500 it seems pretty good. I don't know why anyone would rage quit here. Considering it was the first match and you can learn from it - I think same team playing more matches together could "get used to each other" and getting better. (And maybe later opponents are less strong.)

I'd love a tournament queue instead of using LfG. Queuing as 1 player when a team of 4 might queue (like back then in ranked and nowadays only in unranked) and the system combines those players into teams. Could get more players to play tournaments. I see the solution only in higher population overall. More people playing and more "good" (= not quitting) might play. Might also bring more leavers in as well. But if people play more overall ... they might get used to the losing on tournaments and not quitting too fast.

The reason I'm not doing tournaments is because I don't have a static group for it(and I don't care for the rewards, but mainly the former). As with every gamemode where the whole team needs to commit time and effort, taking pugs along is meant to be a huge risk. GW2 over the years shifted towards casual gamers with general participation rewards, but with tournament gameplay this is absolutely impossible.Thing is, tournaments are only for organised teams. Not "we met 5 minutes ago, let's get on discord" kind of teams, but for actual online friends/frenemies. The option to form a team with randos is only there so that these organised teams have someone to stomp before they fight eachother. And for those getting stomped to recognise how this won't work, and they need to form real teams aswell.

@"Bazsi.2734" said:Thing is, tournaments are only for organised teams. Not "we met 5 minutes ago, let's get on discord" kind of teams, but for actual online friends/frenemies. The option to form a team with randos is only there so that these organised teams have someone to stomp before they fight eachother. And for those getting stomped to recognise how this won't work, and they need to form real teams aswell.Well actually these days "quickly formed" teams can grab a few wins because there are many pugs teams. Sure you won't win against a discord team but it's a good stepping stone.However yes I do agree that it's mainly for organized team.But then, again, the decision to lock legendary behind tournament was a pretty bad idea. There's already an entire set of armor so it's not like there's nothing.It can't go both ways, either you want to get more people to the mode and you make it attractive, or you keep it to its core audience.

@Luthan.5236 said:Seems like a problem with the tournament system. And the way it is set up. I can't imagine them banning leavers from tournaments. Would reduce the population even more. There should be an option for the team leave as well - but get rewards as if you stayed and ranked last. (So you won't need to waste your time staying and losing.)Quite honestly. Do you want this type of population in tourneys?

@Luthan.5236 said:I'd love a tournament queue instead of using LfG. Queuing as 1 player when a team of 4 might queue (like back then in ranked and nowadays only in unranked) and the system combines those players into teams. Could get more players to play tournaments. I see the solution only in higher population overall. More people playing and more "good" (= not quitting) might play. Might also bring more leavers in as well. But if people play more overall ... they might get used to the losing on tournaments and not quitting too fast.I mean anything that wouldn't just disqualifies a team for having a leaver is worth trying...There's 5 minutes to join a match, that's enough time to get someone else to join so I don't even know why they're punishing the whole team and their opponent.

@"Deihnyx.6318" said:Seriously.The 20 wins in tournament are made to get people to play the mode, correct?

So little story.5 people, meeting through LFG because you know, we're the audience for "getting to play that mode".4 of us get on discord, actually it goes pretty well. Maybe it could have led to some casual pvp team or guild or whatever? Who knows.

First match against a team of very good players. We lose 350/500. Not bad given the guys.Well, now the 4 of us can't play anymore because that 5th guy decides to insult the whole team in another language and quit.So after having to deal with last second decliner / leavers ( aka trolls), you gotta get with egocentric garbage in tourneys.I usually don't care. It's like ranked, some people are awful and you move on. Except tourneys are a large time commitment, and for once, we were all but one on discord, all with similar mentality, and actually having fun. It's the kind of thing that can really make you like a mode and want to keep going.

Nope, because one guy that should not be allowed in tourney decided to ruin it.I get that Anet is not responsible for people's awful behavior. What they are responsible for however is making sure this behavior is discouraged. Just like you see the same win traders / bots day after day in ranked and reports do nothing, this kind of behavior, especially in tourneys, is discouraging honest players to try it more than they need to. Meanwhile the one guy is still on, just doing other things after they ruined other players fun. I doubt they get much punishment for it, certainly not a month ban from tournament so it's going to affect other people.

And that's the problem, if tourneys are only going to be a nice experience for pvp guilds, if you're not going to be more punitive with people who do not understand the concept of a team, you're basically forcing the more casual pvpers to go through something that is just plain awful experience and then you can be sure they will never touch it again.

how about the environment? doesn't the environment help contribute to Toxic behavior and its encouragement?

In other word, does PvP environment encourage and promote Toxic behaviors?

Not more than other modes.However in PVP is where the minority of toxic people have the biggest impact.Raid is PvE, one person can also ruin the fun for everyone else.However WvW, which is also competitive, doesn't really have that issue. If there's one person trying to troll, they ultimately don't really matter.

I will say that it looks to me (I may be lucky?) that tourneys -in general- have been less toxic than ranked.

Anyhow. It's not the point. Toxic people will always be there. We just need better safeguards against them.

• 2 years later...

Longer punishments. Dishonour. Whatever. We don't need that in AT PVP. Terrible waste of everyone's time and spoilts the competition. Repeat offenders should be served warning or have game suspended for the common community good. 

Suggested ban time is 2 hrs, 2 days, followed by 2 weeks from AT PVP

Edited by medivh.4725

When i was crafting transcendence i just started adding those ppl to friends and nickname them AT afker/troll/treb player

If they joined same team as me i would quickly tell my team and get them kicked, it worked pretty well cuz all the ppl there want to get their stuff done.

Edited by Khalisto.5780