MMOs should drop PvP and focus only on group content.

Supreme.3164

@Supreme.3164 said:

@"Master Ketsu.4569" said:"PvP hurts my fweelings so it shouldn't exist"

Just don't play it?

I mean this complaint makes sense in MMOs that have free open world PvP where anyone can be flagged and attacked without permission.

But those who whine about MMOs having
optional
PvP need to get over themselves. If you don't care for it, just don't queue for it. If you are just a casual then stick to open world PvE it's legit a massive themepark designed with your playstyle in mind.

What you are basically saying is this:

" Waaaaaah delete -gamemode I don't like- waaaaaaah screw everyone who likes it waaaaaaaah devs should pander all their time to me and what I like waaaaaah".

Imagine someone saying the same thing, but replace the gamemode with something you like and you will be on your way to realizing how immature and entitled this kind of thinking is.

This thread still going....and like sheep, individuals would rather drop their pointless and childish comment rather than accurately read the OP where I specifically mention "New World" as a possible template for PvP gameplay in the future. You try to tell me what?...Look at this forum, majority are unable to conduct themselves in a reasonable and civil manner during a discussion.

A PvP environment with limited number of players on each side only exacerbate this anti-social behavior...already aggravated by the freedom of animosity , should have clarified the title maybe..but at least one of you lot got the message

ye 1v1 type pvp content is doomed to fail imo since mmos are designed with themed based classes which hard counter each other

However New world ALSO ABANDONED their PvP structure to draw in more PvE players and has killed its initial hype. So no you're completely wrong as the development has completely shifted due to them just not wanting to hear anymore whining. So no its not an acceptable template, because clearly the template failed or its something modern dev's behind games are unable and unwilling to accept. But it doesn't surprise me given a good chunk of the people who left A-net have gone there, and given their track record Id say its safe to assume that it was inevitable for them to Infuse another game with potential with Soy which will need to be fixed later on down the line in order for it to survive.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

@"Supreme.3164" said:Gone are the days where PvP were about sportsmanship, love for competition and fairness ...these days it's all about : toxicity , egotism, elitism..you mention. I am very glad that upcoming MMO are dropping the idea of "competitive" PvP and I hope future MMOs will follow the example of
New World
and limit themselves to faction vs faction gameplay, if not entirely at least that should limit the level of toxicity.

Raids, dungeons, mythic+, Greater rifts or whatever you want to call the end game pve is just as bad. In fact here? PvE is more toxic than PvP, Ranked so far has been nice outside of the few trolls but even then they are kinda funny. Raids are full of gate-keeping try-hards, and often people get cussed out because X doesn't go their way in the PvE setting. Maybe GONE should be the days of raiding and forced end-game pve and a more PVP-centric MMO should emerge.

RvR was a bomb, instanced PvP was a bomb and any game that had both always had at least a moderately good community. Every portion of the game has its bad apples, saying one is worse than the other is splitting hairs. Perhaps... you're one of the things you're complaining about?

I think most of it comes from PVP community. There is some bad hombre in this game. I think part of it is the elitism of one being better because they raided and there aren't as many repercussions. In Everquest, for instance, a guild or people in a guild gain a bad rep, the repercussions are everyone hates them, like seal team in Everquest and TMO and azure guard. These guys have a bad rep for being really nasty bullying other guilds and just otherwise being toxic.

Unfortunately some of this is impossible. I don-t know if it's possible, because of human nature. The only thing I can advise is to ignore the toxic people write them down on your list of people to ignore and who are toxic report them if they are really nasty. I mean what can you really do about someone saying they won't take mesmer or necro to their speedruns? All classes should, in my opinion, be equally balanced for all pve content. The problem is that in SPVP each class has a different role and balancing that might be a headache. I can't imagine trying to properly balance necro mesmers and thieves in SPVP, it's rough since thieves have so much mobility.

Ill be honest if this game was strictly PvE like it was in years prior, I might not ever of picked it up again. I find the PvE in guild wars outside of the story and the occasional fractal to be exceedingly boring. And I find you asking for them to remove my two game modes of choice (WvW and PvP) Essentially from the game because you can't, won't, and maybe never have tried to play it is childish. As I said by your logic PvE shouldn't exist, and if you're changing it so the block button is the answer to the toxicity in pve then the same can be said about PvP. I've never had a good experience with the side of the community that is PvE centric, so by your logic, it shouldn't exist "Reeeeeee" Grow up mate. Every part of the game doesn't need to be made and catered around you...

It's because of the design of PVE in guild wars 2. There are other games that are focused on PVE that have better PVE and there are PVP games with better PVP.

I think this game has stuff that's better than wow for instance, but that's because enough time hasn't passed and yes most pve content is boring for me too.

Also I mentioned PVE balancing and I talked about SPVP Balancing classes. Not once did I mention removing SPVP: You are being pretty toxic yourself sir.

So I'll be completely real, I thought for a moment you were the OP because I wasn't paying much attention to my posts as I am into a lot of conversations. So the points were made based on the original post; However, I feel like both being here are fine and that you can balance the game in both settings by splitting the balance and making classes and skills function differently based on the game mode. Yes, this means you gotta learn your class again, but that would also mean they could be built better in respective game modes to be competitive and not have to worry about falling behind. But that takes dedication and work, both of which Im unsure A-net is willing to support or give at this time.

They kind of have to, in order to have proper balance.

It would be nice also to know they have people dedicated to playing a couple of classes each in order to balance things correctly and get info from that rather than just the whiners because whiners exaggerate and ask for ludicrous nerfs like putting unholy martyr on 5 min CD which is maddening or nerfing dmg to the ground on ranger pets without taking into consideration about the modifiers from the beastmastery and how it affects dmg.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

Just don't play it?

I mean this complaint makes sense in MMOs that have free open world PvP where anyone can be flagged and attacked without permission.

optional
PvP need to get over themselves. If you don't care for it, just don't queue for it. If you are just a casual then stick to open world PvE it's legit a massive themepark designed with your playstyle in mind.

" Waaaaaah delete -gamemode I don't like- waaaaaaah screw everyone who likes it waaaaaaaah devs should pander all their time to me and what I like waaaaaah".

Imagine someone saying the same thing, but replace the gamemode with something you like and you will be on your way to realizing how immature and entitled this kind of thinking is.

This thread still going....and like sheep, individuals would rather drop their pointless and childish comment rather than accurately read the OP where I specifically mention "New World" as a possible template for PvP gameplay in the future. You try to tell me what?...Look at this forum, majority are unable to conduct themselves in a reasonable and civil manner during a discussion.

A PvP environment with limited number of players on each side only exacerbate this anti-social behavior...already aggravated by the freedom of animosity , should have clarified the title maybe..but at least one of you lot got the message

ye 1v1 type pvp content is doomed to fail imo since mmos are designed with themed based classes which hard counter each otherBut it doesn't surprise me given a good chunk of the people who left A-net have gone there, and given their track record Id say its safe to assume that it was inevitable for them to Infuse another game with potential with Soy which will need to be fixed later on down the line in order for it to survive.

I dont think many/any of the anet devs work on new world.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

Just don't play it?

optional

ye 1v1 type pvp content is doomed to fail imo since mmos are designed with themed based classes which hard counter each other

However New world ALSO ABANDONED their PvP structure to draw in more PvE players and has killed its initial hype. So no you're completely wrong as the development has completely shifted due to them just not wanting to hear anymore whining. So no its not an acceptable template, because clearly the template failed or its something modern dev's behind games are unable and unwilling to accept. But it doesn't surprise me given a good chunk of the people who left A-net have gone there, and given their track record Id say its safe to assume that it was inevitable for them to Infuse another game with potential with Soy which will need to be fixed later on down the line in order for it to survive.

no they dropped non consensual pvp (which is good thing) PVP is an incredibly important part of a mmo, as it gives you new ways to play your character.

'AGS clarifies that it’s not “[moving] away from PvP” and still wants it to have a “significant role” in New World, meaning “fair fights that are organized, skill based, and opted into by all participants” rather than “predatory behavior that relies on exploiting another player’s lack of experience, progress, readiness, or willingness”'

@"mindcircus.1506" said:If you want to see real toxicity in GW2:

1. One-burn your lane at Octovine.
  2. Capture Amber before Indigo.
  3. Open doors "out of order" in a Lab farm.
  4. Ask for a form of KP for your strike team.

This meme that PvE-centric players in this game are somehow nicer is straight up fake news.You want to see the real ugly side of this community?Just do something that makes it take longer for an OW focused player to get their two blues and a green.

That's not even close to instanced content toxic people. Open world people can gripe all day, who cares. Instanced world, we will gripe, then kick you.Major difference between the "toxic" people in game modes. And isn't #4 still instanced anyway?

@ArlAlt.1630 said:

@"Supreme.3164" said:Gone are the days where PvP were about sportsmanship, love for competition and fairness ...these days it's all about : toxicity , egotism,
elitism
..you mention. I am very glad that upcoming MMO are dropping the idea of "competitive" PvP and I hope future MMOs will follow the example of New World and limit themselves to faction vs faction gameplay, if not entirely at least that should limit the level of toxicity.

Elitism in PvP ? I can always play any PvP content by pressing the matchmaking button. Where the true elitism is found is in PvE, where people asks for 10000 KP/LI to join any raid group.

What is LI? As someone that hasn't touched PvE in this game, has not done fractals or raids, has a total of 1 strike mission completed (the LWS one with the tank cuz it was part of the story), I gotta ask: Is LI some new and improved version of the old DKP system or what? I have played with the DKP system and it heavily punished new raid/guild members and it was essentially a selfish way for the vets doing the weekly runs to gear up before everyone else. And I understand why it was incorporated, no one wants to get a first timer and them getting something than another raid member has been raiding for 2 months and still hasn't gotten. But in a game with horizontal gear progression, I don't understand the point. Please enlighten me.

Everytime you succeed a raid, you loot Legendary Insight (LI). It's a component used for crafting the PvE legendary armor, but it's used as a KP for raid. Whenever you're searching for a raid in the LFG, you'll see people asking for at least 250 or 500 LI in order to be invited.

@"kratan.4619" said:Major difference between the "toxic" people in game modes.

You can keep saying this, but the fact is every time I have seen people be truly toxic, spewing hate, homophobia and racial slurs it was always in PvE...failed Octovines, Palawadan champ farm (before the changes), Lab farms.I play tons of WvW and while I certainly see salt in Team and Map chat, nothing approaches the level of vitriol that spikes the moment you threaten the speed at which PvE players collect their loot.And isn't #4 still instanced anyway?The point was none were PVP. I would have thought that to be clear.

@vesica tempestas.1563 said:

Just don't play it?

optional

no they dropped non consensual pvp (which is good thing) PVP is an incredibly important part of a mmo, as it gives you new ways to play your character.

'AGS clarifies that it’s not “[moving] away from PvP” and still wants it to have a “significant role” in New World, meaning “fair fights that are organized, skill based, and opted into by all participants” rather than “predatory behavior that relies on exploiting another player’s lack of experience, progress, readiness, or willingness”'

Its a survival base MMO-RPG, So in reality it abandoned a core feature of "Survival" in the game. It is like conan exiles, sure there is non-consensual PVP but thats why its a survival game and it is not meant to be a normal mmo-rpg in that respect. In abandoning that aspect they abandoned what would of made the game unique, and has catered to a crowd that alienated its original crowd. The isle has non-consensual PvP, as does Ark, as does Conan exiles and almost every other Survival game as they are literally designed for you to do as you please with the goal of survival first. ( Survival games are designed in such a way that its an intended aspect of gameplay, to be semi-realistic and new world was aiming for this as best it could but caved. Now it has lost the soul of the genre it was trying to make an mmo out of..)

In the real world when it comes to survival there is no right, no wrong or fair play in a fight. Its about you living another day and if that means someone is gonna get griefed and die thats how it goes. So new world is not a new world, its another theme park mmo-rpg without raids or dungeons and a sand-box world so take a good look at the game for what it is.

@Axl.8924 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

@"Supreme.3164" said:Gone are the days where PvP were about sportsmanship, love for competition and fairness ...these days it's all about : toxicity , egotism, elitism..you mention. I am very glad that upcoming MMO are dropping the idea of "competitive" PvP and I hope future MMOs will follow the example of
New World
and limit themselves to faction vs faction gameplay, if not entirely at least that should limit the level of toxicity.

Raids, dungeons, mythic+, Greater rifts or whatever you want to call the end game pve is just as bad. In fact here? PvE is more toxic than PvP, Ranked so far has been nice outside of the few trolls but even then they are kinda funny. Raids are full of gate-keeping try-hards, and often people get cussed out because X doesn't go their way in the PvE setting. Maybe GONE should be the days of raiding and forced end-game pve and a more PVP-centric MMO should emerge.

RvR was a bomb, instanced PvP was a bomb and any game that had both always had at least a moderately good community. Every portion of the game has its bad apples, saying one is worse than the other is splitting hairs. Perhaps... you're one of the things you're complaining about?

I think most of it comes from PVP community. There is some bad hombre in this game. I think part of it is the elitism of one being better because they raided and there aren't as many repercussions. In Everquest, for instance, a guild or people in a guild gain a bad rep, the repercussions are everyone hates them, like seal team in Everquest and TMO and azure guard. These guys have a bad rep for being really nasty bullying other guilds and just otherwise being toxic.

Unfortunately some of this is impossible. I don-t know if it's possible, because of human nature. The only thing I can advise is to ignore the toxic people write them down on your list of people to ignore and who are toxic report them if they are really nasty. I mean what can you really do about someone saying they won't take mesmer or necro to their speedruns? All classes should, in my opinion, be equally balanced for all pve content. The problem is that in SPVP each class has a different role and balancing that might be a headache. I can't imagine trying to properly balance necro mesmers and thieves in SPVP, it's rough since thieves have so much mobility.

Ill be honest if this game was strictly PvE like it was in years prior, I might not ever of picked it up again. I find the PvE in guild wars outside of the story and the occasional fractal to be exceedingly boring. And I find you asking for them to remove my two game modes of choice (WvW and PvP) Essentially from the game because you can't, won't, and maybe never have tried to play it is childish. As I said by your logic PvE shouldn't exist, and if you're changing it so the block button is the answer to the toxicity in pve then the same can be said about PvP. I've never had a good experience with the side of the community that is PvE centric, so by your logic, it shouldn't exist "Reeeeeee" Grow up mate. Every part of the game doesn't need to be made and catered around you...

It's because of the design of PVE in guild wars 2. There are other games that are focused on PVE that have better PVE and there are PVP games with better PVP.

I think this game has stuff that's better than wow for instance, but that's because enough time hasn't passed and yes most pve content is boring for me too.

Also I mentioned PVE balancing and I talked about SPVP Balancing classes. Not once did I mention removing SPVP: You are being pretty toxic yourself sir.

So I'll be completely real, I thought for a moment you were the OP because I wasn't paying much attention to my posts as I am into a lot of conversations. So the points were made based on the original post; However, I feel like both being here are fine and that you can balance the game in both settings by splitting the balance and making classes and skills function differently based on the game mode. Yes, this means you gotta learn your class again, but that would also mean they could be built better in respective game modes to be competitive and not have to worry about falling behind. But that takes dedication and work, both of which Im unsure A-net is willing to support or give at this time.

It would be nice also to know they have people dedicated to playing a couple of classes each in order to balance things correctly and get info from that rather than just the whiners because whiners exaggerate and ask for ludicrous nerfs like putting unholy martyr on 5 min CD which is maddening or nerfing dmg to the ground on ranger pets without taking into consideration about the modifiers from the beastmastery and how it affects dmg.

I know they do, but they wont and haven't. Its more their style to do knee jerk reaction/Over-arching broad strokes and if a class is unplayable or becomes complete garbo then who cares? Re-roll and play the hot shiny of the month. Has been this way for a long time and its how most mmo-rpgs function it seems like now a days. Which is why typically new classes are exciting because YOU KNOW it will be strong in its first year, but then it gets nerfed into oblivion and left to rot. Elite specs are our version of that, but unless we get some in the saga it will be like another year or more till we get something new and will deal with watered down classes/specs that have been streamlined and stripped of unique depth.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

New World

I know they do, but they wont and haven't. Its more their style to do knee jerk reaction/Over-arching broad strokes and if a class is unplayable or becomes complete garbo then who cares? Re-roll and play the hot shiny of the month. Has been this way for a long time and its how most mmo-rpgs function it seems like now a days. Which is why typically new classes are exciting because YOU KNOW it will be strong in its first year, but then it gets nerfed into oblivion and left to rot. Elite specs are our version of that, but unless we get some in the saga it will be like another year or more till we get something new and will deal with watered down classes/specs that have been streamlined and stripped of unique depth.

It's better if they don't though, because of the long term health of the MMORPG.

Nerfing will only anger the long time fans. Just look at the MMO: world of warcraft, and how angry people are about the current content due to the watering down all classes by nerfing to give into the Q_Q so that they can defeat X class. Sure nerfs/Buffs are in order sometimes, but I would love if they could revamp maps instead focus on adding new modes for people to play on their favorite classes that maybe are better for certain things, besides you will never be able to satisfy everyone all the time, only some of the time and you might have to sacrifice the happiness of everyone. The only way I see this, is to have something where certain types of playstyle and maybe modes available to keep the game going.

I came back to GW2 because it's the best online ARPG right now, hands down. Good PvP ARPGs don't actually exist. Battlerite was better than GW2's pvp in every way, but the game didn't have a good progression or metagame and now it's ded.

MMOs are great because when you're bored of the trashfire PvP mode, you can chill in PvE and grind some fashion skins.

So no, we won't be getting rid PvP. That would be entirely pointless. It's flawed but a bunch of us like it.

@Supreme.3164 said:design the game in a way that egomaniacs are not enticed to buy the game

Impossible. Use the block button.

@Supreme.3164 said:PvP were about sportsmanship, love for competition and fairness

It's never been only about that at the core. It's also about hard work, losing to cheese, and getting salty at 2AM. Every PvP community will have its share of elitists and generally unsavory people, and it isn't the game's fault for not actively weeding them out if they are not breaking rules.

@"Bazsi.2734" said:Whether the space around you turns into toxic/elitist/ego driven, it's entirely up to you and the people you closely associate with. If your "friends" start acting out, move on. It's entirely possible to be in a nice PvP community, and it's also possible to have a toxic/elitist PvE community. I would know because I was part of it for a while. The raids dont speedclear themselves!

^This. If someone has a pigheaded mentality, block and find other people. There's a ton of people in pvp daily that have level heads, they're just not advertising.