Motherboard suggestion for i5 4690k

@"ancafr.9274" said:Need suggestion on which motherboard is compatible(good) for i5 4690k I should buy?

It depends on what kind of chipset (how late those mainboard came out as some older chipset only needed a BIOS/UEFI update to recognise that version of CPU).

The high end version of chipset that can be used are named Z87 or Z97 main boards. In the low end B85 and mid range H87. You can see from the list I linked those names and you should try look up producers documentation from their Support site where often can find PDF to download and see also which version of BIOS that where supporting i5 4690K. I5 4670K, which I have myself with a Z87 mainboard, is the generation before so they a technically the same for some small change in speed on CPU core.

With 4690K I would concentrate to buy a Z97 as it is the last version of that chipset that came out around the same time as 4690K.

As for the difference between Z87/Z97 vs H81/87 and B85 (where B indicate designed to be cheaper for business, meaning less features and for more large scale mass production compared to the more gaming type Z87/Z97 chipset where there where more option to control your CPU from BIOS/UEFI and other features like more options for network card, better tool for control of air cooling etc.).

https://www.pc-specs.com/cpu/Intel/Core_i5_4th_Gen/Core_i5-4690K_3.5GHz/2104/Compatible_Motherboards

What you need to make sure is also that your mainboard have all the connection you need. Some mainboard cut down on price through removing support of integrated GPU (which is onboard your CPU) or have very tight space for a discrete video card (business type mainboards). You would be best off with a mainboard that can support iGPU when needed (meaning that there is HDMI or DVI ports). This is useful even if you use a discrete video card as a fail safe, when video card would not be working correctly.

Here is a link to my mainboard to show you what to look for independent of mainboard.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87M%20Extreme4/

Look at Rear Panel I/O section and you will see that external ports that this mainboard had support for. (There is also a picture where you can see the backside that is Rear Panel I/O).

Don't pay an over price to replace your old mainboard with this CPU. If it is cheaper just to buy a newer version of CPU/RAM and mainboard package then replace it.

@ShadowCatz.8437 said:

@"ancafr.9274" said:Need suggestion on which motherboard is compatible(good) for i5 4690k I should buy?

It depends on what kind of chipset (how late those mainboard came out as some older chipset only needed a BIOS/UEFI update to recognise that version of CPU).

The high end version of chipset that can be used are named Z87 or Z97 main boards. In the low end B85 and mid range H87. You can see from the list I linked those names and you should try look up producers documentation from their Support site where often can find PDF to download and see also which version of BIOS that where supporting i5 4690K. I5 4670K, which I have myself with a Z87 mainboard, is the generation before so they a technically the same for some small change in speed on CPU core.

With 4690K I would concentrate to buy a Z97 as it is the last version of that chipset that came out around the same time as 4690K.

As for the difference between Z87/Z97 vs H81/87 and B85 (where B indicate designed to be cheaper for business, meaning less features and for more large scale mass production compared to the more gaming type Z87/Z97 chipset where there where more option to control your CPU from BIOS/UEFI and other features like more options for network card, better tool for control of air cooling etc.).

What you need to make sure is also that your mainboard have all the connection you need. Some mainboard cut down on price through removing support of integrated GPU (which is onboard your CPU) or have very tight space for a discrete video card (business type mainboards). You would be best off with a mainboard that can support iGPU when needed (meaning that there is HDMI or DVI ports). This is useful even if you use a discrete video card as a fail safe, when video card would not be working correctly.

Here is a link to my mainboard to show you what to look for independent of mainboard.

Look at Rear Panel I/O section and you will see that external ports that this mainboard had support for. (There is also a picture where you can see the backside that is Rear Panel I/O).

Don't pay an over price to replace your old mainboard with this CPU. If it is cheaper just to buy a newer version of CPU/RAM and mainboard package then replace it.

One second thought it is better if I save and upgrade my CPU from i5 4690k ddr3 to ryzen 5 1600 ddr4, I also considered change to i5 6th gen but the ryzen 5 1600 is still better and cheaper I guess. Ty for the help.

@ancafr.9274 said:

@ancafr.9274 said:Need suggestion on which motherboard is compatible(good) for i5 4690k I should buy?

One second thought it is better if I save and upgrade my CPU from i5 4690k ddr3 to ryzen 5 1600 ddr4, I also considered change to i5 6th gen but the ryzen 5 1600 is still better and cheaper I guess. Ty for the help.

YW

@ancafr.9274 said:

@ancafr.9274 said:Need suggestion on which motherboard is compatible(good) for i5 4690k I should buy?

One second thought it is better if I save and upgrade my CPU from i5 4690k ddr3 to ryzen 5 1600 ddr4, I also considered change to i5 6th gen but the ryzen 5 1600 is still better and cheaper I guess. Ty for the help.Don't do that! This would only be a useless sidegrade. Zen1 (Ryzen 1600) has the same IPC like Haswell (your i5 4590K). You won't get any better performance with that CPU.

At best your frametimes will be a tad better (this means the game will stutter a bit less) as you have more cores. But the game is still limited by its mainthread which needs IPC and clock speed. So your average fps won't improve.

If you buy a Ryzen then buy a Zen2 (the 3000 desktop series) which can keep up with the modern Intels (Skylake and Coffee Lake). The 3600 is the budget option and if you want to be prepared for the future, the 3700X will be able to handle next gen (PS5, XBox Series X) console ports as well.

@KrHome.1920 said:

One second thought it is better if I save and upgrade my CPU from i5 4690k ddr3 to ryzen 5 1600 ddr4, I also considered change to i5 6th gen but the ryzen 5 1600 is still better and cheaper I guess. Ty for the help.Don't do that! This would only be a useless sidegrade. Zen1 (Ryzen 1600) has the same IPC like Haswell (your i5 4590K). You won't get any better performance with that CPU.1600At best your frametimes will be a tad better (this means the game will stutter a bit less) as you have more cores. But the game is still limited by its mainthread which needs IPC and clock speed. So your average fps won't improve.

If you buy a Ryzen then buy a Zen2 (the 3000 desktop series) which can keep up with the modern Intels (Skylake and Coffee Lake). The 3600 is the budget option and if you want to be prepared for the future, the 3700X will be able to handle next gen (PS5, XBox Series X) console ports as well.

@KrHome.1920

We have no idea if @ancafr.9274 only have a damaged or non-working mainboard and that is the reason for asking about compatible mainboard or he/she is planning to make an upgrade for some reason.

Your suggestion to go for Zen2 generation of CPU is valid as far as I can tell from the few YT video that compare exactly Ryzen 1600 or 1600X vs i5 4690K, but also cost more then the first option to get Ryzen 1600 or Ryzen 1600X (instead of paying for what is today very expensive mainboard, if those are even possible to find on trustworthy online retailers.We don't know where OP live as for possible price and option to buy hardware. I can only guess that "ancafr" could mean something with French or Africa out from name, but that is all there is. It is not enough information to make suggestion on from what package would be cheapest (or reasonable) to buy. Some countries can have a very different price then other when we talk about what is being sold and what prices that are being charged.

If OP are going to buy a new CPU, then it is time to look if he/she needs to replace CPU cooler (in general the one that you get in package with CPU is not that good, but it is possible that AMD changed their quality for PiB - Processor in Box). Then OP need to look at case (as even when one can use the old case it might be better to put money a new one for more compact -old cases needed space for HD and optical drives- where new one are more designed to fit only SSD), have better sound dampening as that have become more common and it is easier to work with to install new hardware. At the same time OP should need to buy a new PSU to fit both with the demands that are needed to power this system and to save some power.

In short there is a lot more that needs to be discussed then just throw out suggestion to get a new CPU when we talk about an upgrade vs a replacement of mainboard.

@KrHome.1920 said:

One second thought it is better if I save and upgrade my CPU from i5 4690k ddr3 to ryzen 5 1600 ddr4, I also considered change to i5 6th gen but the ryzen 5 1600 is still better and cheaper I guess. Ty for the help.Don't do that! This would only be a useless sidegrade. Zen1 (Ryzen 1600) has the same IPC like Haswell (your i5 4590K). You won't get any better performance with that CPU.

At best your frametimes will be a tad better (this means the game will stutter a bit less) as you have more cores. But the game is still limited by its mainthread which needs IPC and clock speed. So your average fps won't improve.

They are better yes, but the thing is I CANNOT afford on a processor better right now cuz I need to buy the other components like memory ram, video card and motherboard and I intend to buy a really good motherboard so later I'll be able to upgrade the processor to a 3600x or R7-9 series. The best option for me now is to start with a low-mid processor but invest a little more on a intermediary-high motherboard and 16gb ram instead only 8gb and later get a better processor and besides I also have others needs beside buying hardware right now.

Not to mention due this corona pandemi the prices now are high as hell =/. And unfortunally I'm from Brazil.