[EU] Remove wvw linkings

TalleFjanten.7159

Wvw linkings has served its purpose in EU and is no longer needed. Linkings was introduced when the gamemode was dying to give dying servers a change to compete with the other servers. with the introduction of new rewards wvw saw a big influx of new and old players coming back to the gamemode, servers flourished.

The servers that once was dying now got a sustainable population and they still get linked with servers that are full. Guest servers that gets linked are not locked causing people to move to these servers for easy wins causing inbalanced matchups. Remove linkings for a month and see how things turn out because right now wvw is in a very sorry state, bandwagon is at all time high and the linkings encorages people to bandwagon for easy wins.

• Like 2

@anxnox.9027 said:I think FogLeg is right.And yes I'm always on that +server.

So you are on a guest server, of course you are going to have a good time when you are the one that gets linked with servers that are full. But the people that u are against that may not have a link is in a disadvantage. What would u think if they removed some of the servers with lower population and let u transfer to some other server indefinately.

Well, I feel like at least on EU, the linkings could be done better.

• Each international server can provide decent fights except RoF.
  • Theres too many German servers that dont have links, leading into german servers dying because full and stale. Shown by 5 german servers being bottom 6 next week.

Theres good sides to linkings too tho:

• Every 2 months t1 changes and you can beat server you never beat before.
  • Plebs get considerably better if theyre linked to t1-t2 server, if they were stuck at t5, they would stay bad.

I have nothing against current linking system as it keeps WvW alive, merging servers could be next stage soon though. Maybe changing it into 4 tiers instead of 5, would be interesting solution so that RoF and Germans get some love too.

@TalleFjanten.7159 said:

@FogLeg.9354 said:I am in one of the linked server and we still have no population to fight our own. Linking is the only reason people even bother playing, remove it and whole bunch of players will leave.

Are you on a guest server or a host server?

I am in guest server (FoW) linked to the SfR. This is linked pair that is probably going to win EU Tier 1 this week.

You claim there is enough players in the low population servers now (like FoW) to support them alone, yet you provide no facts to back you up. While SfR is marked as full and SfR+FoW has usually queues in every map during weekend daytime and reset evening, other times we still end up being outnumbered. Yesterday primetime we were outnumbered in 2 maps. I am not even talking about nightshift or early mornings, when server is completely empty.

Again, this is probably best EU server considering overall coverage during each day of the match. Now you want to break up the link, even when we know FoW itself would not manage to sustain any real population. Plus, you also want to break up all 12 links in EU, each having much less players and/or coverage then SfR+FoW has. And this based on what? You THINK they MIGHT have enough players? No, they don't. Even the linked pairs are unable to get enough people online, how would they perform when everyone gets split up again?

And no, I have never transfered. I was in FoW when we were last server in T9. I was there when we managed to reach T8 only to discover whole tier was completely empty and abandoned and you had to search really hard at primetime to find even single enemy in any maps. I do not want that to repeat again. I am not saying our link to SfR is perfect and should stay forever, we were linked to Gandara before and that worked well too, so I am sure we could get another link. It's fine, as long we get someone to fight.

Now we are clearly both guessing. You are guessing that huge number of players transfer each week to whatever server is winning currently and has a link that is not full. I am guessing that nobody bothers to transfer because winning a match has no meaning and going to full server just means you sit in queue for longer time. Only Anet knows how many active WvW players each server currently has, used to have and will probably have next week. But they are not telling.

For the German servers the problem is: Anet stated that they won't link national to international servers under any circumstances. And without closing or adding a tier in the EU other pairings are simply not possible without unlinking the servers which are even weaker population-wise than Elona. That is why e.g. Riverside and Kodash (not sure about Elona) never got a link so far.

Imho the label 'full' (at least fo EU-servers) is not a fixed number but simply a method of preventing migration, which Anet fears would distort the 'balance' in each tier they aim at. There is a big difference between say a Riverside-'full', a Kodash-'full' and an Elona-'full'. Look at Baruch, which is Tier #1 atm with it's heavy population at night, but isn't full for being the sole spanish-speaking server.

Like probably Anet, I also fear some salt incoming in mapchat when national and international linking would be possible: 'We don't want to play with shitty nationals' / 'We don't want having to use English in mapchat'... At least on Kodash though, we always had good experiences with the few English guilds (TA for example) which visited the server for a couple of weeks back in the days. This is 2017 after all, we still have a unified EU (well some of us have - goodbye and godspeed Brits) and nearly everyone speaks English to a certain degree.

Most German players i know are missing the pre-linking times: Bandwaggoners could join the respective fotm-server, people that stayed on their silver or bronze-tier servers prefered the slower pace and the cosy 'home-sense' there, and switching servers was not a big of a problem because only few went full (and rightfully so).

Well, all we can do now is wait and see if the next expansion swirls things up a bit.

@Lemoncurry.2345 said:For the German servers the problem is: Anet stated that they won't link national to international servers under any circumstances. And without closing or adding a tier in the EU other pairings are simply not possible without unlinking the servers which are even weaker population-wise than Elona. That is why e.g. Riverside and Kodash (not sure about Elona) never got a link so far.

Imho the label 'full' (at least fo EU-servers) is not a fixed number but simply a method of preventing migration, which Anet fears would distort the 'balance' in each tier they aim at. There is a big difference between say a Riverside-'full', a Kodash-'full' and an Elona-'full'. Look at Baruch, which is Tier #1 atm with it's heavy population at night, but isn't full for being the sole spanish-speaking server.

Like probably Anet, I also fear some salt incoming in mapchat when national and international linking would be possible: 'We don't want to play with kitten nationals' / 'We don't want having to use English in mapchat'... At least on Kodash though, we always had good experiences with the few English guilds (TA for example) which visited the server for a couple of weeks back in the days. This is 2017 after all, we still have a unified EU (well some of us have - goodbye and godspeed Brits) and nearly everyone speaks English to a certain degree.

Most German players i know are missing the pre-linking times: Bandwaggoners could join the respective fotm-server, people that stayed on their silver or bronze-tier servers prefered the slower pace and the cosy 'home-sense' there, and switching servers was not a big of a problem because only few went full (and rightfully so).

Well, all we can do now is wait and see if the next expansion swirls things up a bit.

That's more or less the same issue with french servers. The amount of those only allows for 2 linkings, with 2-3 servers being switched any time.Now, I'm against the removal of linkings, because even when we're 2-3 servers, we don't have a reasonable population coverage to hold our own. If servers went back to unlinked, it'd be even emptier, and the game mode wouldn't make a sense (supposing it currently does...) which would drive lots of players out. Bad idea.

The deeper issue in here is maps are too big. EBG+3BL is a lot, and keeping a high activity everywhere needs a lot of dedicated population, which the game mode still misses. The rewards system was a nice try, and I think some players got interested in WvW, but I also seen too much hostility which drew a lot of players away too. Now, if you add the national/international non-mixed servers issue...

imo best way would be a totaly new arrange of people on the servers tell em there will be new serversetup in 1 month so the cores of each servers can organise to go back to their servers, but every guild and soloplayer might change server again and you would have hopefully some fresh peoples everywhere. even anet would win sth coz there'll be plenty that want to change again anyway so give everyone basicly a "free" serverchange but gain money from changing again anyway ;)

I would be happy to see some new assortments after so many years ^^ also you can make less servers in that go aswell so you kinda force some smaller servers to choose another one :P

and now gimme ur hate <3

@TalleFjanten.7159 said:

@Immagichu.6973 said:

Remove wvw linkings

or stop changing them

Or stop linking them with host servers that got the FULL status, the server is FULL because they got high population, if they really need to link servers they can link the lower pop ones.

Well its not that easy.

Not using real numbers now, but I think I can show you why your thought has its flaws:

If a full server has 300 people active on average at a certain time point, a server with 250 people could be seen as "high" populated.200 Medium, 150 low.Now, you let the full server with 300 ppl fight (with no link) the high populated server (250) with a low server (150), thats basically 300 vs 400. Also I need to mention that different servers often have different active hours. So a linked server has a chance to get several active phases, while the full server got less.I'm not a fan either of the linkings and think they shouldnt have happen in the first place. But the queues have settled after the latest WvW upgrade. Now low populated servers dont have to suffer from eternal queues on all maps (except for Friday evening).

I see no point in having linking anymore, here's how I look at it, I see alot of people trying to say WvW is at an all time high. Here's the reality of things though, for those of us who could honestly do without the que's, and i'm sure new players as well, they look at it as a type of cancer, that makes them not want to play the game mode do to the unreasonable wait time, sometimes. Server linking had its purpose at first, but I think it would be wise if servers even on the NA side would be removed from the linking process to see how they would survive on there own, and instead of having linking, for those servers that just are to low of a population to keep around, actually merge that server with another one removing that server from the server list making that server no longer exist, but please stop with the server linking its not helping anyone, its only making those of us who used to play day in and out not want to even bother trying to get through the que process due to the insane wait time.

I'm from Ruins of Surmia, a server that basically got killed off from WvW with the HoT release. Everyone left the game type leaving empty servers and we were massively overran by the other servers. I have to see how the RoS server would do now without linking. Maybe players returned with the return of the Alpine borderlands or the new pip system. But maybe the RoS players largely left WvW altogether. Linking servers helps a lot in this case.

In short, servers need a decently active player base to have an enjoyable WvW experience. Before unlinking Anet needs to know if servers have a large enough player base to do so.

@FogLeg.9354 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:why not as trial remove 3 servers and allow people to transfer from those?

Sure, as long those 3 are most populated servers.

@FogLeg.9354 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:why not as trial remove 3 servers and allow people to transfer from those?

Sure, as long those 3 are most populated servers.

why not =) is a trial. and then vote if ok or not

@Sovereign.1093 said:why not as trial remove 3 servers and allow people to transfer from those?How are you going to "trial" the removal of servers, lol...

Fact is, links remain the only good way to keep balancing for shifting WvW activity. I still think the only major flaw is that its not an "alliance" ingame. If A is linked to B, I want to see who is who on players, if A caps a camp or if B fought a guild - or if both did it together, it doesnt matter. This would have maintained server identity even with links. As it is now... its just slave work in someone elses name if you are a link.

• 3 years later...

Remove the linkings, a server linked to us is heavily decreasing our KDR. Outnumbered 24\7 without a link = 1.2 - 1.4 kdr, when we have a lniked server - 0.6 KDR. We are tired to carry those players Anet liked to us, beside it hurts the reputation and pride to be farmed when half of the zerg are players from a linked server who instantly die and rally enemies.

Aurora Glade is ppting at night like there is no tomorrow, that's all they can, remove the links, linked servers are worthless.

Edited by Daredevil.2745
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1