DDoS'd

Come back to PvP as a 4 man pre-made and one of the first few matches (unranked) we whooped another 4 man pre-made team. We saw them again with our 5 man premade all got DDoS'd at the same time except from the 1 person who was in our 5 man that wasn't there before, all the while no one from the other team was affected. Mass report ensued however is this level of cheating normal in PvP now?

Gotta be desperate to cheat in unranked. When we came back in, they were all on our lord after us being in the lead vs them again.

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:Come back to PvP as a 4 man pre-made and one of the first few matches (unranked) we whooped another 4 man pre-made team. We saw them again with our 5 man premade all got DDoS'd at the same time except from the 1 person who was in our 5 man that wasn't there before, all the while no one from the other team was affected. Mass report ensued however is this level of cheating normal in PvP now?

Gotta be desperate to cheat in unranked. When we came back in, they were all on our lord after us being in the lead vs them again.Are you saying that someone is prepared to risk his money and his freedom to win a random game vs 4 anonymous people in an unranked game of a random video game?

@Eugchriss.2046 said:

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:Come back to PvP as a 4 man pre-made and one of the first few matches (unranked) we whooped another 4 man pre-made team. We saw them again with our 5 man premade all got DDoS'd at the same time except from the 1 person who was in our 5 man that wasn't there before, all the while no one from the other team was affected. Mass report ensued however is this level of cheating normal in PvP now?

Gotta be desperate to cheat in unranked. When we came back in, they were all on our lord after us being in the lead vs them again.Are you saying that someone is prepared to risk his money and his freedom to win a random game vs 4 anonymous people in an unranked game of a random video game?

testing the new cheat toy before using in ranked?

@megilandil.7506 said:

testing the new cheat toy before using in ranked?

Lol maybe that was it. Sad to see tho that cheating has gotten worse since I last seriously PvP'd. Seems toxicity is still present and accounted for. Sad tho as it had so much potential

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

@knite.1542 said:So you and your teammates reported a bunch of people because you guys lagged and were convinced the only explanation was that you were DDOSed? Would you take this story to a courtroom?

Def wasn't lag. All of our clients crashed at the same time. Not once did I mention lag.

The thing is they would need your IP address to attack you no? Even to attack a server you're all connecting to would require knowing the path through the internet which clients can't get.

Basically to do what they were doing if they didn't actually know you and your team they would have to have properly hacked the GW2 amazon servers and as much as we all like to watch Mr Robot hacking into systems like it's eating chips and watching Netflix this is no easy task. It's probably an issue with a server on the way to the login server, login times out a bunch of people across the game but you only see the 5 guys on your team.

@apharma.3741 said:

@knite.1542 said:So you and your teammates reported a bunch of people because you guys lagged and were convinced the only explanation was that you were DDOSed? Would you take this story to a courtroom?

Def wasn't lag. All of our clients crashed at the same time. Not once did I mention lag.

The thing is they would need your IP address to attack you no? Even to attack a server you're all connecting to would require knowing the path through the internet which clients can't get.

Basically to do what they were doing if they didn't actually know you and your team they would have to have properly hacked the GW2 amazon servers and as much as we all like to watch Mr Robot hacking into systems like it's eating chips and watching Netflix this is no easy task. It's probably an issue with a server on the way to the login server, login times out a bunch of people across the game but you only see the 5 guys on your team.

or just people have shit connection becouse everyone stays at home and plays games instead of having life outside ;pi have to keep restarting my internet every 15min nowdays, sometimes it just stops working at all

Gotta be desperate to cheat in unranked. When we came back in, they were all on our lord after us being in the lead vs them again.

You didnt get DDOSsed, its easy to say you dont have any knowledge about how ddos even works. The problem was on Anet server and that caused one team to DC, happened before several times. But.. ofc random casual cant know and blames ddos xd

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

or just people have kitten connection becouse everyone stays at home and plays games instead of having life outside ;pi have to keep restarting my internet every 15min nowdays, sometimes it just stops working at all

Yeah that'd do it too lol :joy:

@zyra.7860 said:

You didnt get DDOSsed, its easy to say you dont have any knowledge about how ddos even works. The problem was on Anet server and that caused one team to DC, happened before several times. But.. ofc random casual cant know and blames ddos xd

You are right. I know nothing about amateur script kiddies and how they work. You know me better than I do apparently so thank you for enlightening me XD

Okay, first of all I seriously doubt it was a full DDoS attack. A distributed denial of service attack requires several infected zombie devices to take down a server, this is very difficult to pull off. In regards to a standard DoS attack which it might have been but again I doubt it. A full Denial of Service attack would take down your entire internet, not just your game client.Bit of context, I am studying for a degree in Ethical Hacking and to remove 4 players on the same team to disconnect from the game client at the same time is a difficult hack to do for the average Joe.Obviously it's very frustrating being booted from a game but in reality it was probably a problem on ANets end. Hope this helps!

@Broady.2358 said:

Okay, first of all I seriously doubt it was a full DDoS attack. A distributed denial of service attack requires several infected zombie devices to take down a server, this is very difficult to pull off. In regards to a standard DoS attack which it might have been but again I doubt it. A full Denial of Service attack would take down your entire internet, not just your game client.Bit of context, I am studying for a degree in Ethical Hacking and to remove 4 players on the same team to disconnect from the game client at the same time is a difficult hack to do for the average Joe.Obviously it's very frustrating being booted from a game but in reality it was probably a problem on ANets end. Hope this helps!

If what you say is true (I know how DDOS and DOS works, however not enough to actually use one of the script kiddie programs to actually use it on someone) then i appreciate your input and it does help a bit.