Is the current balance philosophy to destroy the skill ceiling?

Every patch seems to further push PvP toward being balanced for low-tiers. High skill cap builds are removed one at a time. The push for bunker/sustain face-tank node builds is always increasing. If any build has high burst or requires an opponent to use their brain, it’s removed as soon as the forum whiners (mostly necro mains) start crying.

To make PvP enjoyable, people have to be able to survive more than the initial burst. It makes sense to nerf damage first, and then look at making adjustments to toughness and damage to find a Goldilocks Zone. I'll just remind people that PvP has been out of wack for a LONG time. The solution will take awhile. I don't think this will last forever. (I hope not at least)

@Drennon.7190 said:Every patch seems to further push PvP toward being balanced for low-tiers. High skill cap builds are removed one at a time. The push for bunker/sustain face-tank node builds is always increasing. If any build has high burst or requires an opponent to use their brain, it’s removed as soon as the forum whiners (mostly necro mains) start crying.

This was expected after the re-balance. The patch dramatically changed the pacing of combat, and now we are getting roughly 1 minor balance adjustment every 1-2 months. It will be likely be years before they can even attempt to fix all the current issues. Personally I was hoping there would be additional mega patches to address sustain, mobility, effect-bloated skills etc, but unfortunately it doesnt seem like that is coming.

@Mysticjedi.6053 said:To make PvP enjoyable, people have to be able to survive more than the initial burst. It makes sense to nerf damage first, and then look at making adjustments to toughness and damage to find a Goldilocks Zone. I'll just remind people that PvP has been out of wack for a LONG time. The solution will take a while. I don't think this will last forever. (I hope not at least)

there are no perfect goldilocks though some classes have some upper hands vs others how do you balance thieves and mesmer mobility? some classes are more mobile and tricksters than others, and changing that actually hurts the class.

I'd be happy if we can have some classes good at some things and others and just have classes that counter each other softly not hard counters like in the past, because the other option is to become like world of warcraft, and wow has trash PVP.

The reason its trash is they tried to accommodate to the noobs by making a noob-friendly class that kills everyone and has every op thing combined mobility burst CC and its unbalanced, the class? Demon hunter.

They also broke defenses for casters making them into turrets easily focused for noob melee classes and since casters became turrets you basically can't do much cept shoot, people, down because they took away complexity.

Please leave thief mes ele necro and ranger alone.

@Mysticjedi.6053 said:To make PvP enjoyable, people have to be able to survive more than the initial burst. It makes sense to nerf damage first, and then look at making adjustments to toughness and damage to find a Goldilocks Zone. I'll just remind people that PvP has been out of wack for a LONG time. The solution will take awhile. I don't think this will last forever. (I hope not at least)

So far I haven't seen how the burst-aspect of the PvP gamemode was fixed; and at many scenarios, it made bursting way worse. The fact that many skills do so little damage and have so little value - as part of no-skill-that-do-too-much philosophy - pushed many builds to rely on extensive burst rotations to secure any kill potential. Combine this with the overzealous increase of cooldowns and you have, basically, a turn-based game. In addition, the global cut-down of high-impact traits/skills - either by nerf or by hilarious amount of CD - greatly affected build variety: duelist builds were highly punished and everything that was left is, mainly, builds that are viable but indissociably vulnerable - as many are, e.g., to condi currently, precisely due to the cleanse witch-hunt; and with no way of working it around if not by either becoming a bunker, or staying so as, essentially, a hit-and-run glass cannon. The options by which you can react to damage were greatly reduced, in general: you'll die (and kill) even throughout the most pathetic of rotations; and it feels like the match winner is completely decided at the very class roll.

@Drennon.7190 said:Every patch seems to further push PvP toward being balanced for low-tiers. High skill cap builds are removed one at a time. The push for bunker/sustain face-tank node builds is always increasing. If any build has high burst or requires an opponent to use their brain, it’s removed as soon as the forum whiners (mostly necro mains) start crying.Necro mains are the forum whiners... that's why each of the 3 hotfixes we got after the patch nerfed necro since the rest of the community whined about necro.

What did you smoke?

Necro is also the perfect example for what's wrong with the balance team. Look at their history! They prefer to start with a small (mostly ineffective) adjustment and if it's not enough they add another... and another... and another. And at the end of the day they killed tons of traits and skills.

2 examples:shroud procs:

• first attempt: nerf the damage by 50%
  • second attempt: remove ability to crit
  • result: procs became usless
  • the removal of the crit ability would have been the better way to balance the procs right from the start

core sustain:

• first attempt: cripple gm traits (that are meant to define a way to play! They are meant to have an impact!): signets of suffering, unholy martyr, unholy sanctuary
  • second attempt: increase the LF degeneration to 4%
  • result: non bunker core builds became extremely squishy as the nerfed sustain gm traits are almost useless now
  • an increase of the LF degeneration to 5% would have been much better right from the start

To the community:Not even 5% in this forum understand that a damage nerf for necro is also a life force nerf because of the nature of shroud: it freaking degenerates! The more time you need to apply damage the less effective shroud becomes. Reaper has serious LF management issues after that damage patch. You are limited to every single skill and trait that generates life force when building a reaper or you won't be viable.

@"Odik.4587" said:

High skill cap builds are removed one at a timeWhat are "high skill cap builds" ?

builds that if played right can beat most others. basically the first person shooter half of this action mmo genre wanting to stomp on the rpg half all the while pointing to things like skill and counters. this is a large part why balance is so chaotic in this type of game.