Returning player, unable to upgrade my game

Hello, I am returning to this game 6 years after quitting it and I am unable to upgrade my game.

My friend is already playing the new content but I can't join him and now I see I won't be able to unlock the icebrood saga prologue because i couldnt log in. The support response time is naturally long and I am seriously loosing interest into investing any time in this game because this really doesn't look promising. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process or do I have to wait for their reply that will hopefully fix it and allow me to actually buy and play their game?

Welcome back, kind of! So,I'm guessing your on a free to play account right now? I don't recall all the restrictions but I think if you have an 80 level character you should be able to join them in just about anything. If they have a map you do not and you've received your birthday gifts you can use a teleport to friend device to get to them and play. I'd run around on the map collecting WP's and you should be able to return with that character. You might not get any credit for achievements but you should also be able to play the story along side them.

I don't have a FtP account so I'm not sure but iirc that's they way you should be able to join them. It's worth a try right?

Free to play accounts would only have access to core Tyria, none of the expansion maps or living story ones for that matter.

From the wording of op, it seems they have the POF expansion, but didn't get access to the prologue map because they were unable to login on time.

All said maps can be acquired via the gemstore if you missed them, and there are quite a few gold farming areas available from the core HOT maps (which comes free with POF), which can be used to exchange for gems and start buying up access to the maps you want.

Ask your friend, they should know and could guide/help you get updated so you can play together.