Massive Lag Spikes, Massive ping , disconnects ...

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Twilight Tempest.7584 said:Individual setups mostly affect things like framerate. Of course, you can have high ping if you're located far from the nearest servers or your ISP isn't up to par.

But this game has been plagued by server-side animation and skill lag for over a year. Think Tequatl, Ley Line Anomaly, and Triple Trouble at reset/post-reset. The waves at Tequatl are never in sync. It's why you have to jump before it looks like they'll hit you. It's why all you can use at LLA is your auto-attack. It's why anyone who's done roles at TT can tell you how tough lag makes their job. These are universal issues that affect everyone across all setups, even those playing on super computers with full fiber connections and no issues in other games.

AWS has proven marginal at best. The current increase in players and internet use in general due to the pandemic is probably only exacerbating things.

If I can test both systems at the same time, doing the same thing, and one of them experiences skill lag while the other doesn't, certainly individuals setups can be a possible cause.

Have you done this?

I had said I did so yes.

The way you worded it sounded like the test was a possibility, not something already done. Namely, "If I can." I can see how it can be read the way you meant it, but it's ambiguous. Hence the request for clarification. Also, I'm not sure how you can be in two places at once, unless you mean someone else is testing one of the PCs.

@Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

@Twilight Tempest.7584 said:Individual setups mostly affect things like framerate. Of course, you can have high ping if you're located far from the nearest servers or your ISP isn't up to par.

But this game has been plagued by server-side animation and skill lag for over a year. Think Tequatl, Ley Line Anomaly, and Triple Trouble at reset/post-reset. The waves at Tequatl are never in sync. It's why you have to jump before it looks like they'll hit you. It's why all you can use at LLA is your auto-attack. It's why anyone who's done roles at TT can tell you how tough lag makes their job. These are universal issues that affect everyone across all setups, even those playing on super computers with full fiber connections and no issues in other games.

AWS has proven marginal at best. The current increase in players and internet use in general due to the pandemic is probably only exacerbating things.

If I can test both systems at the same time, doing the same thing, and one of them experiences skill lag while the other doesn't, certainly individuals setups can be a possible cause.

Have you done this?

I had said I did so yes.

The way you worded it sounded like the test was a possibility, not something already done. Namely, "
If I can
." I can see how it can be read the way you meant it, but it's ambiguous. Hence the request for clarification. Also, I'm not sure how you can be in two places at once, unless you mean someone else is testing one of the PCs.

The way it was phrased wasn’t a question.

I have my older PC and the newer one. You don’t need to be at two places at once. I can simply test one PC and then run to the other within like 15 seconds.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Have you done this?

I had said I did so yes.

The way you worded it sounded like the test was a possibility, not something already done. Namely, "
If I can
." I can see how it can be read the way you meant it, but it's ambiguous. Hence the request for clarification. Also, I'm not sure how you can be in two places at once, unless you mean someone else is testing one of the PCs.

Fully aware of that. Doesn't change that, as worded, it can be interpreted two different ways, and is thus ambiguous. Take this example:

"If I can pass the test, so can you."

Can you ascertain with certainty whether I have already taken the test or I'm referring to the future? You cannot.

For clarity it probably would have been better to just phrase it as an affirmative statement. I.e., "I tested both systems [and this is what I observed]."

I have my older PC and the newer one. You don’t need to be at two places at once. I can simply test one PC and then run to the other within like 15 seconds.

I mean you did say, "If I can test both systems at the same time."

Anyway, if you have a completely lag-free experience even at peak times on capped maps, that's great, and I would say you're very fortunate.

Have you done this?

I had said I did so yes.

If I can

Fully aware of that. Doesn't change that, as worded, it can be interpreted two different ways, and is thus ambiguous. Take this example:

Can you ascertain with certainty whether I have already taken the test or I'm referring to the future? You cannot.

For clarity it probably would have been better to just phrase it as an affirmative statement. I.e., "I tested both systems [and this is what I observed]."

Sure, if English isn’t your first language I guess that I can understand the confusion since many don’t follow the same structure.

Unfortunately I’m not going to change the way that I phrase things as the way it was stated is correct.

I mean you did say, "If I can test both systems
at the same time
."

Anyway, if you have a completely lag-free experience even at peak times on capped maps, that's great, and I would say you're very fortunate.

They are being tested at the same time.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Have you done this?

I had said I did so yes.

If I can

Sure, if English isn’t your first language I guess that I can understand the confusion since many don’t follow the same structure.

English need not be one's first language for one to fully grasp its rules and many, many idiosyncrasies. But that's neither here nor there. The fact remains that, what you stated, and the example I gave, while both grammatically correct, are ambiguous statements. You have not been able to refute that. You cannot state (accurately) that both statements, on their face, communicate unambiguously whether something has occurred in the past, or has yet to occur.

Unfortunately I’m not going to change the way that I phrase things as the way it was stated is correct.

Lol. You have every right to prioritize pride over effective communication. I never asked you to change anything. Just offered a suggestion on how ambiguity could be avoided. If that was too much, you're free to reject it.

at the same time
."

They literally are not, unless you have the ability to be at two places "at the same time, doing the same thing," but okay. lol

Not going to derail this discussion any further. You're welcome to have the last word.

Have you done this?

I had said I did so yes.

If I can

English need not be one's first language for one to fully grasp its rules and many, many idiosyncrasies. But that's neither here nor there. The fact remains that, what you stated, and the example I gave, while both grammatically correct, are ambiguous statements. You have not been able to refute that. You cannot state (accurately) that both statements, on their face, communicate unambiguously whether something has occurred in the past, or has yet to occur.

I’m not going to argue further on this. If you don’t understand that type of statement then it’s whatever.

Lol. You have every right to prioritize pride over effective communication. I never asked you to change anything. Just offered a suggestion on how ambiguity could be avoided. If that was too much, you're free to reject it.

It’s not about pride. It’s about having to dumb down what is stated.

at the same time
."

They literally are not, unless you have the ability to be at two places "at the same time, doing the same thing," but okay. lol

Not going to derail this discussion any further. You're welcome to have the last word.

I’m testing both computers at the same time. The individual actions being 15 seconds apart doesn’t really matter. If the one on WiFi is the only one that experiences skill lag then a system’s setup, and not the servers, could be an issue. Wait. Wait. I used an “if”! Let me rephrase this to prevent confusion since that’s apparently an ambiguous statement.

I test old computer. Skill lag. I test new computer. No skill lag. Conclusion: old computer setup is causing skill lag.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Have you done this?

I had said I did so yes.

If I can

I’m not going to argue further on this. If you don’t understand that type of statement then it’s whatever.

It’s not about pride. It’s about having to dumb down what is stated.

at the same time
."

I’m testing both computers at the same time. The individual actions being 15 seconds apart doesn’t really matter. If the one on WiFi is the only one that experiences skill lag then a system’s setup, and not the servers, could be an issue. Wait. Wait. I used an “if”! Let me rephrase this to prevent confusion since that’s apparently an ambiguous statement.

I test old computer. Skill lag. I test new computer. No skill lag. Conclusion: old computer setup is causing skill lag.

You've been low key condescending since your first reply, and your last one really knocks it out of the park. So against better judgment, I'm replying.

You are also proving repeatedly that
you
don't understand some basic language arts. The way you meant something is clearly the only way it can logically be interpreted. No ifs, ands, or buts. You, oh master of the English language, could not possibly improve, let alone have erred. Heavens, no. (/s)

There is a reason you sidestepped my simple question above. It's because you know it perfectly demonstrates the ambiguity in your statement. Doesn't matter if you refuse to admit it.

Here it is again. I challenge you to refute it.

Take this example:

That is exactly the form of the statement you made, and why I simply asked whether you had already done it or not. Of course you had to respond with "Duh! I said I did, so I did." (paraphrasing and exaggerating for effect.) Your horse only got higher from there.

I'm sorry if it's coming across as that as that was not my intention.

Okay. Glad to hear it.

It's just frustrating that instead of talking about the subject matter, we're going over the confusion between the difference of a conditional statement and a question statement.

As for your question, I can. If it was intended as a question you'd have a question mark at the end. Similarly how you can put a question mark behind almost any statement to make it a question. The exact words that I used were "I had said I did so yes.". I'm sorry that it was taken the wrong way.

I never said it was a "question statement." Rather, it was an attempt at making an affirmative statement that, due to its first three words, is open to multiple logical interpretation and is therefore ambiguous. Those interpretations being whether you had already tested or had yet to. It cannot be discerned for certain. "If I can do X, then Y" can be interpreted either as X being something you can and have done (your meaning), or as something speculative about the future (an equally possible meaning).

So I simply asked for clarification and explained why it was ambiguous. Personally, I think the English language is filled with pitfalls that even native speakers overlook. It's why I cut a healthy dose of slack (and respect) to anyone learning it as a subsequent language.

Back on topic. These are just a sampling of map chat at the Tequatl and Ley Line Anomaly events that happened just minutes ago. Not a day goes by where people aren't complaining or joking about the lag at these events. I know it's not a scientific sample, so take it for what it's worth. Anecdotally, it does seem a lot of people have lag issues, whatever the cause.

https://imgur.com/a/YvIwOlQ

Again, if you never experience lag, that is wonderful, and you are perhaps one of the lucky few.

Edit to add today's samples (May 7, 2020):

Tequatl at reset (8+ full maps in LFG):

qfafDn8.jpg

Ley Line Anomaly (probably at least 3 full maps):

eTfWYJk.jpg

If anyone truly does not experience any lag at these events, at these slots, really, I want to know your secret.

You go to any online game’s support forum and guess what folks Lag is always the number one complaint on the hit parade of complaints! Wether you want to believe it or not 99.9% of all lag issues are internet related and have nothing to do with the servers! Yes there have been server issues in the past and Anet has been on top of the quite fast, also with the stay at home orders that most people are under then what else do people have to do but get on the internet!

@Feirlista Xv.1425 this is not just a simple network problem. This is something that has been with this game for nearly 8 years. Originally, when the game was hosted by NCSoft, the ping times (or lag) was bearable. Even then, my ping times were around 80ms on Comcast. When you got into large groups, you got to a point where only the auto attack would work (the 1 key normally). Then, the servers would catch up with the network load and boom, you had super speed.

Since going to AWS, ANet has had nothing but congestion problems with the network traffic. So, that leads to one of two possibilities (or both). First option is that ANet is using crap network code. The second option is that AWS has problems with the amount of traffic from MMOs. Looking at the internals of AWS using TCP, UDP, and ICMP, you will find that AWS has a tendency to drop packets. You do not believe me, pick up you favorite trace route tool that allows for those three communications and do a trace route to the IP address of your WvW/PvE/PvP server and let all of us complaining about the lag of 1000-4000ms know what your results are. This is very much a real problem with Guild Wars 2 (or as some are now calling it Lag Wars 2).

PingPlotter trace from a moment ago for the GW2 map IP I'm on. It roughly shows my baseline ping in GW2 (a bit over 100 according to the game's F11 window).

All hops beginning with hop 8 are Amazon except for hop 10 which is RIPE Network Coordination Centre. After that, things get unpleasant. Hop 12 (Amazon) roughly doubles the ping and appears to introduce significant packet loss.

Is this just the norm for AWS?

P5npiIH.png

• 1 month later...