Cast time for Waypointing after leaving spawn in WvW

Hadi.3167

Can we all agree that Warclaws have drastically changed WvW and not for the good? Players either constantly running, avoiding fights, and now people being able to mount up instantly and just waypoint in an instant. Every other MMORPG i've ever played in my life has had this function in PvP / Multi server competitive mode to prevent these type of play styles. Should there be at least a 3 second or 5 second cast time for waypointing after leaving spawn? The most frustrating part about this game mode has to be the mounts. Even though they tried to add the lance skill (Which i think the dang thing should've been added when the friggen mount first came out / hello Devs? you play your own game right?) it still feels like people are just able to casually walk away from you and if they don't want to participate in open world pvp they use mount to leap from you then waypoint instantly.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:Cast time for waypointing after leaving spawn?

Do you mean for the first 3-5 seconds? Or that it takes 3-5 seconds to trigger the actual trip to the waypoint?

Because that could be a huge issue with EWP’s that are pulled,

Someone got away I take it? ?

They could just add the seconds in cast time to the EWP duration ;)

More like everyone gets away because it's not that hard to dodge lance.

Should probably mention that you don't have to be mounted in WvW in order to way point.Attacking a player on a mount or on foot puts them into combat, preventing them from waypointing.Prior to the introduction of the warclaw, plenty of professions were able to disengage, evade and escape a fight long enough to either reset, or waypoint out.

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

Do you mean for the first 3-5 seconds? Or that it takes 3-5 seconds to trigger the actual trip to the waypoint?

They could just add the seconds in cast time to the EWP duration ;)

More like everyone gets away because it's not that hard to dodge lance.

I won’t argue that they get away by dodging lance. I figure if I hit you with lance, you deserve to be downed.

Honestly I don’t care on this either way.

I just wonder if we need to make decisions on other aspects of the game because we hate the Warclaw lol. (And I am still in the camp of remove Warclaw)

Sooooo, by "avoiding fights" you mean "skipping random 1v1 / 1vX in the middle of nowhere?"

This is, like, the mirror image to that complaint post about having to interact with other people while doing your dailies.

It's not even that this would be a worse design (unless you want the waypoint animation to immobilize them or something), it's just that I don't see why this should matter unless you're spending all day fishing for easy ganks. And, fundamentally, you're not going to get those ganks: most likely, avoidant players will just learn to mash the waypoint at the earliest opportunity since they won't get one later.

@"ASP.8093" said:Sooooo, by "avoiding fights" you mean "skipping random 1v1 / 1vX in the middle of nowhere?"

Anything smaller than map blobs is just a random 1v1 that doesn't matter now I guess

And, fundamentally, you're not going to get those ganks: most likely, avoidant players will just learn to mash the waypoint at the earliest opportunity since they won't get one later.

Not true with mount speed and render distance depending on the class.

Ewps allready take 20s the cast time could be included in your loading screen

We can already dismount people, I don't think stopping them from waypointing is needed. Especially because just putting them in combat works just fine.Just.. let them go. Not every person is your plaything. They would have always run away, mount didn't do anything.

The only time I'm hit with the lance dismount is if I'm being chased by multiple people and they're lobbed at different times. That thing is so sluggish and easy to dodge its silly. Unfortunately, being chased by multiple people is when I actually want to run away.That said, the last thing we need is another barrier to successfully getting through an ewp. A delay on waypointing is not the solution we're looking for. If the goal is to put more people in combat then perhaps decreasing the predictability of the mount's lance ability would be the way to go about it? I'm not entirely sure its required though, the higher mobility professions are already shoving themselves down the throats of everyone else.

~ Kovu

Speaking of dismount, players who don't have POF or acquired their wartclaw still do not have the convenience of lance. They need something like a lance-llista that roots them in place while they shoot. Players that have a warclaw with lance mastery (or maybe with just warclaw unlocked) will not be able to purchase this of course. The cast time/projectile should be slightly faster than mount lance (maybe) since on foot.

There still needs to be more changes for warclaw ultimately but as for wp I don't really think there needs to be changes.

Waypoints should only be usable if

1. You are currently invulnerable (at your spawn, waypointing to another map)
  2. You are dead.
  3. It is an emergency waypoint.

That said I feel like keeps shouldn't have perma waypoints especially since we have mounts. If you go deep into enemy territory you should be willing to fight for your life and not map out at the first sign of competition. This is all just my personal opinion though.

@Sazukikrah.5036 said:Can we all agree that Warclaws have drastically changed WvW and not for the good?

No we can't.The Warclaw is great and addresses a bunch of fundamental issues with the game mode. I like it very much.I'm much happier to make my WvW builds and not have to bake in some form of perma switness at the cost of actual fun traits. I like being able to get on tag that much faster. I enjoy charging at someone trying to capture a point and using the engage, it's fun and impactful.

I mean sorry you can't gank people like you used to... but I like it and find the game mode more fun with it.

The ONLY circumstance in which a 3-5 second delay would affect anything at all is if you're spawn-camping. And if you're spawn-camping, not only are you playing in an ungracious, unsportsmanlike manner, but--more importantly--you probably already control the map or are making a heavy push to take the enemy keep in EBG and very likely will control the map very soon. So what you're suggesting is that you take players and a team already at a disadvantage and then make them have more of a handicap.

Um, no. This game mode already fails to do enough to level one-sided matches. The last thing it needs is to put another advantage into the hands of a gank group sitting around farming the losing team's spawn. What a suggestion.

I mean, Im all for mechanics that force pvp in a pvp game mode. If you don't want to pvp then why are you in WvW? Sure sometimes a roamer is going to run into you when you're trying to get back to pin and you will die. Thats the game. Likewise when you're roaming a zerg is going to come around the corner and you will die. Thats the game too.

But with all that being said, I don't really care all that much. I mean someone thats going to waypoint away from a fight isn't exactly going to be any fun to fight anyway. They'll just take forever to kill because sustain zerg builds are tanks, or they're just going to run away. Besides waypointing is pretty much just like dying anyway right? Double downing someone is just forcing them to wp. So when someone wp's to avoid fighting, they're basically just saving you time right?