Hylek in Cantha?

Kodama.6453

It's unlikely we'll see much other than humans due to their blatant genocidal racism which is the foundation of the canthan nation now. There might be naga left, maybe some wardens and potentially oni and creatures/fauna. But as for anything like hylek/tengu I find it likely they were exterminated or chased out. Naga might only of survived due to them not being afraid to completely wipe out portions of the canthans and being at least semi-armed. But again its highly likely they too were wiped out.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:It's unlikely we'll see much other than humans due to their blatant genocidal racism which is the foundation of the canthan nation now. There might be naga left, maybe some wardens and potentially oni and creatures/fauna. But as for anything like hylek/tengu I find it likely they were exterminated or chased out. Naga might only of survived due to them not being afraid to completely wipe out portions of the canthans and being at least semi-armed. But again its highly likely they too were wiped out.

You are misunderstanding what I am asking for.I am asking if it is possible in the lore that Hylek used to live in Cantha. It doesn't matter for me if we will actually meet them in Cantha for the expansion.

I was asking, because I have an idea for an elite spec for the engineer and it would help for the background story of that elite spec if there have been Hylek in Cantha, which got captured and enslaved for their alchemical knowledge by the ministry of purity.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:It's unlikely we'll see much other than humans due to their blatant genocidal racism which is the foundation of the canthan nation now. There might be naga left, maybe some wardens and potentially oni and creatures/fauna. But as for anything like hylek/tengu I find it likely they were exterminated or chased out. Naga might only of survived due to them not being afraid to completely wipe out portions of the canthans and being at least semi-armed. But again its highly likely they too were wiped out.

You are misunderstanding what I am asking for.I am asking if it is possible in the lore that Hylek used to live in Cantha. It doesn't matter for me if we will actually meet them in Cantha for the expansion.

I was asking, because I have an idea for an elite spec for the engineer and it would help for the background story of that elite spec if there have been Hylek in Cantha, which got captured and enslaved for their alchemical knowledge by the ministry of purity.

I don't recall ever seeing Hylek or frog like people there.. They had kappa though which were semi-intelligent turtle people. (Like the actual legends kinda) and they had some other reptilian races such as naga and maybe one other in the forested area. But as far as I Recall there were no frogs. Actually yea we never so frog people in cantha and there were almost exclusively from what I Remember In Elona/Eye of the north(The regions where the asura were..)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hylek Wiki Says they are primarily a mainland race. So now as of this moment they did not exist there.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Heket#Hylek Guild wars 1 states they were Primarily in the tarnished coast, Elonan regions and the depths.

I hope this helped.

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:

I don't recall ever seeing Hylek or frog like people there.. They had kappa though which were semi-intelligent turtle people. (Like the actual legends kinda) and they had some other reptilian races such as naga and maybe one other in the forested area. But as far as I Recall there were no frogs. Actually yea we never so frog people in cantha and there were almost exclusively from what I Remember In Elona/Eye of the north(The regions where the asura were..)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hylek Wiki Says they are primarily a mainland race. So now as of this moment they did not exist there.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Heket#Hylek Guild wars 1 states they were Primarily in the tarnished coast, Elonan regions and the depths.

I hope this helped.

Tbf: we saw only a small portion of Cantha hundreds of years ago. And the description of "primarily" existing on the mainland inherently holds the option to exist anywhere else besides the mainland. Just, not in the same numbers as in the mainland.

Since we saw so little of Cantha, it'd be like saying that not seeing wolves (or any other NPC) in a starting area of any region means they can't exist in any of the later maps of the region.

There's just simply nothing eliminating the possibility or even making it extremely unlikely since so much of Cantha went unexplored by the PC. It means that the vast majority of Cantha can hold absolutely anything A-net would want to be there, in almost any proportions, and it wouldn't be lore breaking.

@Dustfinger.9510 said:

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:

Wiki Says they are primarily a mainland race. So now as of this moment they did not exist there.

Guild wars 1 states they were Primarily in the tarnished coast, Elonan regions and the depths.

I hope this helped.

Tbf: we saw only a small portion of Cantha hundreds of years ago. And the description of "primarily" existing on the mainland inherently holds the option to exist anywhere else besides the mainland. Just, not in the same numbers as in the mainland.

Since we saw so little of Cantha, it'd be like saying that not seeing wolves (or any other NPC) in a starting area of any region means they can't exist in any of the later maps of the region.

There's just simply nothing eliminating the possibility or even making it extremely unlikely since so much of Cantha went unexplored by the PC. It means that the vast majority of Cantha can hold absolutely anything A-net would want to be there, in almost any proportions, and it wouldn't be lore breaking.

This is true... but I actually kinda like the idea of stumbling acrossed the un-buried skeletons and destroyed settlements at some point. Showing just how far cantha's leaders went to exterminate the non-humans. Would really set up the emperor to be a enemy.... hopefully then we can have a human enemy who is around longer than like a small appearance in one, and an episode where they went nuts Coughs in Caudecus

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

This is true... but I actually kinda like the idea of stumbling acrossed the un-buried skeletons and destroyed settlements at some point. Showing just how far cantha's leaders went to exterminate the non-humans. Would really set up the emperor to be a enemy.... hopefully then we can have a human enemy who is around longer than like a small appearance in one, and an episode where they went nuts Coughs in Caudecus

I think we can have something like that no matter what. Picture every Terminator movie that shows the future when the machines have taken over and sought to exterminate humanity. Bones and skulls are everywhere while pockets of humanity scurry around like vermin, hiding in holes in order to survive.

@Dustfinger.9510 said:

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:

This is true... but I actually kinda like the idea of stumbling acrossed the un-buried skeletons and destroyed settlements at some point. Showing just how far cantha's leaders went to exterminate the non-humans. Would really set up the emperor to be a enemy.... hopefully then we can have a human enemy who is around longer than like a small appearance in one, and an episode where they went nuts
Coughs in Caudecus

I think we can have something like that no matter what. Picture every Terminator movie that shows the future when the machines have taken over and sought to exterminate humanity. Bones and skulls are everywhere while pockets of humanity scurry around like vermin, hiding in holes in order to survive.

Id like that, love it more for my norn to just be like "Guess imma have to kill a world leader. Nice thing to add to my list of feats.... the mists will def have to hire me when I die now.."

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

This is true... but I actually kinda like the idea of stumbling acrossed the un-buried skeletons and destroyed settlements at some point. Showing just how far cantha's leaders went to exterminate the non-humans. Would really set up the emperor to be a enemy.... hopefully then we can have a human enemy who is around longer than like a small appearance in one, and an episode where they went nuts
Coughs in Caudecus

Id like that, love it more for my norn to just be like "Guess imma have to kill a world leader. Nice thing to add to my list of feats.... the mists will def have to hire me when I die now.."

Didn't we kinda already do that by killing Palawa Joko?Which also should count for your wish of a human antagonist. Palawa Joko was undead, but he was human as it seems.

@Kodama.6453 said:

Coughs in Caudecus

Didn't we kinda already do that by killing Palawa Joko?Which also should count for your wish of a human antagonist. Palawa Joko was undead, but he was human as it seems.

I mean a living human, joko was always kinda warped in his own way. I do not want another expansion where we are welcomed by all and made out to be a hero, I want the canthans to hate us. Revile us and honestly want us all dead; I have love for cantha but given how they are against anything non human in the lore I just can't see them willingly accept the majority of the races we play.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

Wiki Says they are primarily a mainland race. So now as of this moment they did not exist there.

Guild wars 1 states they were Primarily in the tarnished coast, Elonan regions and the depths.

I hope this helped.

Coughs in Caudecus

If we're going to Shing-Jea, as the concept art suggests, we'll probably see the ruins of Aerie (the main Tengu settlement on Shing-Jea in GW1 that was evacuated at the end of Winds of Change), as that was almost certainly destroyed afterwards.

I do think there is a possibility that we'll see some kind of Hylek variant or other races in areas that were not explored in GW1 or other inaccessible areas that were not able to be settled by humans (maybe even beneath the now melted Jade Sea?). I would expect for at least a few of the original races in Cantha to have evaded capture by going into hiding.