Guardian squishiness vs mirage?

Kelvor.3471

Hey all, looking for some tips from the experienced guardian players out there. I've been maining a Condi Mirage, mostly using one of these two builds: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mirage_-_Axe/x_Infinite_Horizon and https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mirage_-_Staff/Staff_Infinite_Horizon for a while now (she's my only real geared lvl 80 that I've played through a lot of content) and decided to branch out. I've read all over the place how amazing Guardian is in all game modes. I leveled him up to 80, geared him out in a combination of about 50/50 Berserker/Valkyrie gear and have been using something close to this build https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Guardian_-_Radiant_Greatsword.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong but he is so incredibly squishy compared to my mirage. With my mirage, I can easily solo any vets and many of the champ hero points in HoT maps. I never feel like I'm struggling to stay alive and feel like I melt mobs really fast, especially when using the axe build for mirage. With my guardian, I feel like I am barely able to stay afloat and even regular Vet mobs in HoT give me a lot of trouble. And it feels like I kill them WAY slower than my condi mirage. I am doing my best to dodge and use my active blocks/aegis/etc. and avoid damage but since I have to fight in melee with the build above it just seems impossible to avoid damage. Maybe I've been spoiled by the constant evasion capabilities of Mirage.

Can anyone give me some basic tips on how to survive better and solo HoT challenges and the like on core Guardian (working on unlocking DH now)? Is he just generally a lot weaker than Mirage?

Try this : http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWwAEx7lVwoYZMMGJO0L/pPA-zRQYRUjlwKlODhSjgaTgKKA1GA-e

Okay how this works :

• Keep Retaliation up, Retaliation = more crit chance = more damage
  • Yu have alot of multi-hit, which triggers Virtue of Justice often, which will proceed to Blind, which translates into mobs not hitting yu.
  • Litany of Wrath = Lifesteal = GET AGGRESSIVE = MORE HITS = MORE BLINDS = LESS DAMAGE TAKEN
  • "Stand yur Ground" and "Save yurselves" are Stunbreaks, in case mobs drop that fat CC. Use Save yurselves for Retaliation uptime as well.
  • "Feel my Wrath!" = Quickness = hit faster = more hits = more blinds = less damage taken
  • Drop Symbol skills on enemies if possible. Symbols = stacking damage buff = mobs die faster.
  • Open on groups on enemies with Greatsword 5 to pull them in closer for a beat down.
  • Use again when in melee range but do not pull so yu don't waste the tick damage.

@"Yasai.3549" said:Try this : http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWwAEx7lVwoYZMMGJO0L/pPA-zRQYRUjlwKlODhSjgaTgKKA1GA-e

Okay how this works :

• Keep Retaliation up, Retaliation = more crit chance = more damage
  • Yu have alot of multi-hit, which triggers Virtue of Justice often, which will proceed to Blind, which translates into mobs not hitting yu.
  • Litany of Wrath = Lifesteal = GET AGGRESSIVE = MORE HITS = MORE BLINDS = LESS DAMAGE TAKEN
  • "Stand yur Ground" and "Save yurselves" are Stunbreaks, in case mobs drop that fat CC. Use Save yurselves for Retaliation uptime as well.
  • "Feel my Wrath!" = Quickness = hit faster = more hits = more blinds = less damage taken
  • Drop Symbol skills on enemies if possible. Symbols = stacking damage buff = mobs die faster.
  • Open on groups on enemies with Greatsword 5 to pull them in closer for a beat down.
  • Use again when in melee range but do not pull so yu don't waste the tick damage.

Blind on justice activation and not passive trigger.So multi hits and quickness don't give more blinds.

That amazing build is burn condition build which sacrifice a lot of Guardian's defence. It's very good in PvP since you can kill quick. But in PvE especially mobs with high HP, that burn-condi build is not quick enough to kill the mobs.

I honestly think Retaliation is not good in PvE, so you can leave that Trait to either Inner Fire or Right Hand Strength. I use the Right Hand Strength trait even if I'm not using a sword. The extra precision does make a difference.I suppose the mobs you and vets that give you a hard time are those with posion arrow type. Since most of the them shoot arrows, having Shield of Avenger is extremely good. And when you use Spirit Weapon skills, Eternal Armory trait is a MUST. So even if you are not fighting against mobs with projectile, the extra dmg from Spirit Weapons' burn is good.Don't use Symbolic Avenger in this map cuz the mobs keep moving around a lot! So it's not effective against them.And maybe you might want to try replacing the Virtue Traits to Meditation, for a little extra condition removing skills and healing.

I play in this HoT map a lot because I just love how challenging the mobs are. You need to block, you need to dodge, you need to be constantly active. And this is why I think the build you are using is not effective here.

Ehh, not really sure why that MB build is rated so highly. They just took a dps build meant for instanced content and copypasta'd it over. Open World is more mobile with weaker and more numerous enemies-- there is usually no time to bother setting up a rotation and symbols. Also for instanced content you usually have someone provided defensive boons/sustain so you can go all out offense. Unscathed Contender really only works if you're constantly dodging or you have a firebrand giving you aegis.... but you're alone.

Probably something like this. Scepter is much more preferable since it can be ranged. Also cast litany before you jump in to burst. Retreat is good for running around, and also most threatening enemies in open world have a really telegraphed attack which can be stopped with Aegis.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWwAEt3lVwwYIsLGJW8PqpfA-zRIYRUzXC2OA-e

We take Valor because it turns Litany into a 5500 1/4s cast heal before you start doing damage. Needless to say, it's really good.

You probably want dragonhunter, as it's just better in general