Open Letter to ArenaNet regarding Server Latency

TheSun.4321

As someone thats playing WvW from SEA,its been really frustrating having lag spikes even tho you're nowhere near the action,yes having 3 way fight in a specific spot will cause lag but lately the lag just spikes more frequently and at random times and its even more frustrating that some of the lag issues have been around for AGES and still haven't been addressed.

@Hurrikane.8153 said:It’s difficult to have fun when a “competitive” game mode that requires skill to crack larger groups is inhibited by lag resulting in a win for whoever has more bodies. The lag doesn’t allow any outplay potential for dropping skills, moving, cleansing, etc.^Pretty much whats happening right now especially where the current meta is conditions and it takes like a few minutes waiting for the skills to work trying to cleanse it.

Let's be honest ANet. World vs World has been your red-headed step child for what.. going on 3-4 years? When one of the best updates for WvW was a well overdo skill-balancing patch, but even that took multiple years before being addressed. The new Borderland released YEARS ago? Bust -- World vs World mounts? A big YIKES! The multiple arena's you've thrown at us? B- at best.

At this point the World vs World community know's we're not going to get what we want... at-least make the game mode playable. As the majority of this thread has already mentioned, the lag has become OVERWHELMINGLY frustrating. All it takes is a group of 30-40 to exist on the map and you can literally feel the lag, not even being remotely close to said group.

As I highly doubt this thread will even get addressed, I hope that at the least it gets read through by ANet, so that you still know there is a community within that one section of your game you've completely blown off and forgot existed... World vs World.

Cheers --

P.S. - If you put as much effort into 1 single WvW improvement patch as you do Story Mode / Living Story updates.. it'd probably improve drastically.

No matter if its a throughput issue, a routing issue, whatever. It would be great if Arena Net would recognize and acknowledge that it IS their responsibility and there IS something they can do about it. Getting real tired of the "it's your provider, firewall, computer, etc." response.

It's not fun playing support and watching people get clapped because your skills are sitting there flashing forever and trying to heal/rez someone that's been rubber-banded half way to Africa. But hey, my faith in this company can go no lower anyway... I hope.

But GW2 just wouldn't be same without a slide show lag fest, you know you would probably miss it. It touches EVERY SINGLE SOUL to ever play GW2 because it hasn't been fixed to this day. The slide show lag fest instantaneously detracts from the experience in its own monumental way. Imagine the headlines now, "Guild Wars 2 is better optimized" for modern PCs that were build in the last 10 years and with modern servers. Yeah no one wants that.

Logged on tonight (pre-reset), popped my EBG queue, and was experiencing skill delay in spawn while the fight was at SMC. Losing motivation to play this game when I can't even use my skills. The lag has been absolutely horrid. This is not just an EBG thing, not just a zerg thing, it's happening almost everywhere I go. Can't even comfortably roam on a half-dead BL. Been logging off in frustration lately more than I ever have before.

On reset tonight, guild and i (maybe 10-12 of us) were standing in a camp while across the map there was our server fighting another and we had 10secs skill lag. Wish anet would address this and fix wvw more so then just "we are planning something for the near future". WvW is one of the least maintained things in gws and it seems like Anet doesnt even care about it.

when the servers start to lag it’s no longer a matter of skill who wins the fight. It’s a battle which side gets more skills through, which is more often than not the side with bigger numbers. Lag eliminates any sort of well-timed counterplay and turns the mode into a onepush fiesta

I agree with 95% of the above statement. The lag is getting to the point where its just embarrassing. There's even lag when you try to click the button to enter WvW post-reset.

It seems presumptuous to assume most players will want to pay a subscription though. Sure, there's probably quite a few dedicated WvW players who would in theory, but that doesn't necessarily extend to PvX players. More to the point, what have ArenaNet done over the last however many years to build enough trust for people to believe giving them more money is worth it? How long is it now since the last update regarding Alliances? Or look at the fact that we're all here commenting on a thread pleading with Anet to simply acknowledge a major issue that's been plaguing WvW for years.

I got encouraged to bish here about server lag, so here I am! Lag makes the game unenjoyable, and no dear ANET, it’s not a problem on MY end. My internet is serving well. I am a fairly „new“ player, most of my playtime is related to my Afk-keep scouting. The times I do want to play, whether blobbing, roaming, or being mountstomped by 50 players, I experience BIIIIG lags. Pls fix, kthxbai.

I assume this has been covered before at some time, but we know that condi heavy builds cause server lag. We are in a more condi-heavy meta ATM which means more lag. I don't think Anet can just get faster EC2 instances to make it better.

See this from ancient history for some background on the problem.

My (only slightly tonue-in-cheek) proposal : nerf all condis in WvW and make it a power meta. Problem solved. :)