Open Letter to ArenaNet regarding Server Latency

TheSun.4321

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@TheSun.4321 said:-Do you lack the funds to pay for better servers or upgrade existing infrastructure?Many of us would gladly pay a subscription for a more supported gamemode, and there are many untapped parts of the game that could be monetized.

I'd like answers to all those questions too however this Subfee subject has been a very common one on these forums.While there may be a lot of people who would like one there is also very clearly a lot of people who would not.. and would even go as far as to stop supporting the game entirely if one was added.. optional or not.

If funds are one of the issues contributing to this problem then I would like Anet to confirm that.At least that way people who do want a Subfee can go and throw 20 Euros into the gemstore every month and pretend like they are paying for one.Many people have pointed this out in the past as a simple counterpoint to pushing a subfee on millions of other players who got into this franchise specifically because it had an anti-subfee business model.

@"Oxylus.7985" said:I assume this has been covered before at some time, but we know that condi heavy builds cause server lag. We are in a more condi-heavy meta ATM which means more lag. I don't think Anet can just get faster EC2 instances to make it better.

See this from ancient history for some background on the problem.

My (only slightly tonue-in-cheek) proposal : nerf all condis in WvW and make it a power meta. Problem solved. :)

To summarize: skill lag has been here since day one and even after they moved to AWS. Server-side optimization is "dangerous" and a massively iterative process. In short, without a serious refactoring of the server-side environment, don't expect much to change. It looks like Bill is no longer with ANet either and considering the age of GW2, don't hold your breath on changes.

And disable auto-attack on your skill 1.

@"Oxylus.7985" said:I assume this has been covered before at some time, but we know that condi heavy builds cause server lag. We are in a more condi-heavy meta ATM which means more lag. I don't think Anet can just get faster EC2 instances to make it better.

See this from ancient history for some background on the problem.

My (only slightly tonue-in-cheek) proposal : nerf all condis in WvW and make it a power meta. Problem solved. :)My only slightly tongue in cheek reply is that power is already 90% of the zerg meta today.

Wait no, that's not tongue in cheek at all, it's the actual meta.

Also, friendly reminder to everyone in "full support" of the open letter - you now 100% support subscriptions in GW2. You cant just support part of an open letter and claim to "fully" support it. No backsies.

50v50v50 is unplayable on Gandara for monthsAll WvW maps are full during prime time nowZergs often meet in one spot when they see orange swords on the mapHorrible constant 10-15 second skill lagCan't cast any skills...

Look, there's absolutely zero fun with all this lag. That's killing our gaming community. By all means, if you wanna keep the game healthy and alive, you better do something about this, otherwise what's the point of running the game if you can't manage it properly? I mean, I know you guys are trying and there's a lot going on because of this COVID thingy and I understand, but at least, you know, don't try harder to reduce the server lag. Just put some effort into it. That's all.And oh, BTW: there are spies everywhere that are also killing the game mode, not just skill lag. So, do something about this, because all they do is trolling us by pulling all the tactivators in favor of the other team just to make my own team lose the week, and this is totally unfair.

@Teratus.2859 said:

@TheSun.4321 said:-Do you lack the funds to pay for better servers or upgrade existing infrastructure?Many of us would gladly pay a subscription for a more supported gamemode, and there are many untapped parts of the game that could be monetized.

I'd like answers to all those questions too however this Subfee subject has been a very common one on these forums.While there may be a lot of people who would like one there is also very clearly a lot of people who would not.. and would even go as far as to stop supporting the game entirely if one was added.. optional or not.

If funds are one of the issues contributing to this problem then I would like Anet to confirm that.At least that way people who do want a Subfee can go and throw 20 Euros into the gemstore every month and pretend like they are paying for one.Many people have pointed this out in the past as a simple counterpoint to pushing a subfee on millions of other players who got into this franchise specifically because it had an anti-subfee business model.

The thing is that it does not have to be a requirement but perhaps something like a crowdfunding . They just need to give some extra rewards to those who invest some money and that is all.

I do believe that they should be fixing this problem no matter the cost without us having to pay for it. However, I would be open minded for any other possible solutions if that would garantize at least that I could play WvW without skill lag everytime 3 +30 groups meet on the same spot of the map.

I remember the time when this kind of lag it was only in SM on EB map when 3 sides went into the lord room. I could say, OK, I understand. Now it is impossible to play anywhere where 80+ players gather for fights. Another funny thing is when you can detect that you have an incoming only just because of the lag that is created on the enemy zerg approach. It is ridiculous.

Please yes, we need some communication at the very least. The past 4 WvW friday resets have had commanders and guild groups actively avoiding large encounters because the skill lag becomes unplayable. Even when there are smaller numbers of 30-40 players clashing the skill lag is still noticeable. It's game-breaking and unacceptable in a game that is balanced around action and quick reaction.

@Mizhas.8536 said:

The thing is that it does not have to be a requirement but perhaps something like a crowdfunding . They just need to give some extra rewards to those who invest some money and that is all.

I do believe that they should be fixing this problem no matter the cost without us having to pay for it. However, I would be open minded for any other possible solutions if that would garantize at least that I could play WvW without skill lag everytime 3 +30 groups meet on the same spot of the map.

I remember the time when this kind of lag it was only in SM on EB map when 3 sides went into the lord room. I could say, OK, I understand. Now it is impossible to play anywhere where 80+ players gather for fights. Another funny thing is when you can detect that you have an incoming only just because of the lag that is created on the enemy zerg approach. It is ridiculous.

Yeah the lag is bad although i've managed to largely avoid it by playing at lesser populated times.. but I caught it a while back when 3 teams were fighting over a keep and it was utterly ridiculous.

As the OP pointed out this lag has started to leak into the rest of the game too and I've mostly noticed it playing Warrior in PvE because my MH Sword 2 becomes unpredictable if not downright useless sometimes with it's tracking due to lag spikes.. hell sometimes it doesn't track at all and my Warrior sees a nice target dead ahead and then leaps about 3ft towards the target before shooting of in a different direction away from the enemy instead.Pretty annoying.

I have been a GW franchise player since the jump of Prophesies. I am basically down to being a one-man-guild since most of my guildies play sparingly at best. I am not a hardcore WvW Player, but I do enjoy it a few times a week and have made some good friends in the WvW that make it fun to play.

I have seen this Lag/Latency issue also creeping into PvE in large Meta events like Dragonfall, Silverwatses, and AB, as well as World Boss encounters that happen to grow to considerable size. I support this letter, as others have mentioned before, at 95%.

I do not support the idea of a Subscription-based solution, as the non-sub model of GW and GW2 was an important part of what sold me on this game over others. I spend $$ when I choose to buy something convenient or cosmetic. Which, I do pretty regularly. A sub would stop that casual spending, and likely cause many to look for other game opportunities.

IMHO, and I speak only for myself, all the crew at ANet do a bang-up job with this game. I hope as things start to open up, you can take a hard look at this issue and provide us with an update on a roadmap/plan to a solution.

At this point, given that we've been asking for this to be addressed for quite some time in the commander/guild leader/dev discord as well as other venues it really comes down to what appears to be a management issue.

GW2 Management does not appear to appreciate the unique game mode that they have with WvW or the sheer illogical loyalty of its long time players. Players that keep coming back to the game time and again, hoping for better. When you consider the sheer number of players that log into WvW on reset it is clear that there is a market.

So how does a player base get the attention of the game company management to get them to fix something that has made the game that they love almost impossible to play.

We have communicated ad nauseam and asked for communication back, which in the case of lag, balance, and really anything that substantially affects game play, has been met with silence.

We have indicated (some of us) we support monetizing to a greater degree this portion of the game mode. Most of the WvW players who play on a regular basis would likely even pay a small subscription to have a game mode that is both as competitive as we would like, which its potential calls for, as well as just making it simply playable. (Edit: not to derail the point of the post regarding the terrible lag. Rather just to express how much we want things to get better)

I love playing in World vs World. But given that my ability to command a group of players is hampered so significantly by factors outside of my control, as well as not being enjoyable as an individual player, I find myself less and less willing to login.

Fix...this