Easiest pvp class to start?

Hi all,

I’ve always been playing PvE in this game and want to try PvP. I don’t have the best mechanics of the world or the best reflexes.

Besides any necro class or specialization, what’re the top 3 specializations you would recommend a beginner to pvp for just solo queued ranked (not ATs or anything) thanks!

I’m sure everyone will recommend picking my favorite specializations, but I’m thinking objectively there’s gotta be specializations that are either easier to play (less skills or reactions needed) or are more forgiving to mistakes?

I did search this topic in the forums and the last topic I found was about a year ago. I hope this is the right place to ask!

You're not wrong that people are going to advise you to play your favorite. You mention that you don't have the best mechanics or reflexes. Are you likely to perform well if you try to jump into a game mode like PvP, which emphasizes the traits you lack, while also playing a class you aren't familiar with? It probably won't be an enjoyable experience and it might even be stressful! Is that how you want your intro to PvP to go?

I'd play something you're comfortable with. You aren't going to go pro your first game regardless, so at least you can die without worrying about remembering what your weapon skills do at the same time!

I’m hoping that with practice, I’ll improve. But I think the idea is that with an easier specialization to start off on, it’ll be easier to progress.

I have all classes except for necro, hence why I left that specific class out. Thanks!

I would suggest something more tanky, ranger are a Lil bit easy to play and warriorEven if many people say warrior is not good atm, you can easily play it

Condi thief could be easy, I know you said no necro, but necro is one of the easier classes (core). Dragon hunter and scrapper are user friendly too

In my opinion one good starting point is ranger, core especially. It is quite simple to understand, but it has a good kit, and if mastered is a really strong class.I'm not saying that ranger is a simple class, but I think compared to other classes it is easy to get into it but hard to master, it has stealth, evades, combo finishers, etc.compared to a guardian is more balanced and is not an "all in" for dps, or compared to warrior is more forgiving and it needs less player ability to get the kill mostly because even while kiting the pet helps you.I'm not saying that you can afk and let the pet play, but it means that even when you are struggling to stay alive you still get a good dps.Last but not least ranger can play two roles in PvP, duelist and rotational dps, which is really good for climbing.

Do you want to get better at the game or you just want an easy class? Because you might be able to improve your mechanics. Basically everyone should be able to hit platinum if they dedicate some time and have discipline.

If you want to get better best class to play is Spellbreaker it will teach you mechanics and a lot about dueling. Another okay option is core ranger with gazelle and smokescale (don't abuse birds), what it has going for itself is that you can transition into roaming role as Soulbeast with Gazelle. If you also play necro then you can master all 3 aspects of the game: teamfighting, dueling and roaming of which roaming is by far hardest.

If you just want to play an easy strong class play dragon hunter, burn guard, double bird core ranger with paladins amulet, bunker scrapper, water weaver (a bit hard to get into but once you do its like a PvE rotation). But you will stay bad at the game.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:core ranger,prot holo,thief of any kind

Yeah I wouldnt exactly recomment someone to start out with thief. Operates on too different of an axis and requires too much knowledge that might not be apparent (like when to run (which is most of the time, but not all the time), who and where to +1, when to fullcap or not, etc. etc.). Besides thief being anything but easy, its also just skills that dont translate to other classes. Warrior is a much better recommendation.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

@"Leonidrex.5649" said:core ranger,prot holo,thief of any kind

Yeah I wouldnt exactly recomment someone to start out with thief. Operates on too different of an axis and requires too much knowledge that might not be apparent (like when to run (which is most of the time, but not all the time), who and where to +1, when to fullcap or not, etc. etc.). Besides thief being anything but easy, its also just skills that dont translate to other classes. Warrior is a much better recommendation.

he should learn fast while playing thief, if he cant then he cant learn at all and is lost cause anyways. Its not a rocket science to use superior mobility to "outsmart" enemies.then again thief will teach bad habits too, like wasting mobility and bad cooldown management.Problem RN is that most classes dont teach you anything, you go necro and you dont worry about cooldowns, hp, or using mobility right. you spam and win or you spam and lose, the only classes that can actually force teach you good habits will get you rick rolled for first few hundred matches like there is no tomorrow.

Flamethrower scrapper is as easy as walking up with perma might + stab and pressing 1. Make sure to run a few cleanses in the event that you come up against necro, because they will corrupt your stab into fear. It's a very easy build to play because there are no mechanics involved.

For traits, make sure you run Juggernaut and Mass Momentum, those two are a must.

Mortar takes the elite slot. You can easily blast the water field with Flamethrower 2, pulse blindness around yourself, apply poison to classess with good healing, or chilled, which is especially useful against elementalists.

If you want an option that requires less thought, supply crate is as easy as fire and forget. Just try to make sure you drop it on someone's head and avoid using any CC on them because it is a whopping 3 second stun. You don't want accidentally override it with a weak daze.

Stealth Gyro is another viable choice. It's the longest lasting stealth in the game, and is granted to your allies in an AoE. Very useful for the first mid fight of the game, and can be used as a get out of jail free card.

Your other two utilities are up to prefrence. Run what you feel is the most useful for the game at hand. Shredder Gyro will bump your dps while giving you an AoE daze field. Purge Gyro is good for cleansing yourself. You can blast the light field with Flamethrower 2 for additional cleanses. Elixir gun is cleanses, sustain, and a stunbreak all rolled into one, but at this point you're running up to 3 kits and that can get overwhelming.

Other useful options include:

Rocket Boots - Good for mobility, disengaging bad fights, kiting when focused, and removing annoying movement imparing condis like immob and cripple.Slick Shoes - Low CD Stunbreak, and a useful fieldElixir S - Stunbreak, invuln, and stealth all rolled into one.Elixir U - Offensive stunbreak that grants on demand quickness. You already have quickness in the build, but this will increase your uptime.Blast Gyro - Pairs well with stealth Gyro and/or Elixir S for a potent AoE knockback.Bulwark Gyro - Stab for your allies, and barrier. Keep in mind, this will absorb damage from allies onto yourself. Useful for peeling, but can catch you off guard if you're not prepared for it.Pry Bar - ...And I suppose the rest of the tool kit that comes bundled with it.

Feel free to experiment and find what works best for you. `

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

I just had a quick question regarding what people are saying between being better at the game / learning the mechanics vs. an easy class.

Generalizing here, but it seems like a lot of the comments talk about playing a "1v1" class. Probably another dumb question, but is that the "basis" of good mechanics for every class? AKA - is every specialization ,despite their different roles, predicated on being able to hold your own 1v1 vs. another class? Is there any specialization or class that's purely meant to +1 or something and isn't expected to ever 1v1 or anything like that, and if the answer is yes, what would be the way to "learn the mechanics" then?

Or is it in general, playing something like spellbreaker that has a role forcing into 1v1s the best way to learn mechanics for any class or specialization I want to play? Aka 1v1'ing is the best way to improve mechanics and learn the game regardless of specialization/class?

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@Leonidrex.5649 said:core ranger,prot holo,thief of any kind

he should learn fast while playing thief, if he cant then he cant learn at all and is lost cause anyways. Its not a rocket science to use superior mobility to "outsmart" enemies.

Thief is a purely rotational class that forgoes any non-+1 fights. Rotations are arguably the hardest part in sPvP to learn, and unlike other classes, if you cant rotate on thief, you are entirely useless.

then again thief will teach bad habits too, like wasting mobility and bad cooldown management.

Eh, thief has cooldown management, its just in its utilities (but those are arguably the most important cooldown management in general). Im also not sure what you mean by "wasting mobility". The biggest problem is that thief doesnt teach you how to fight at all. After all, thief doesnt fight, it only +1s. You also have to learn when to run away (which is most of the time) as thief, which again, translates poorly to other classes that usually dont have to run away.

Problem RN is that most classes dont teach you anything, you go necro and you dont worry about cooldowns, hp, or using mobility right. you spam and win or you spam and lose, the only classes that can actually force teach you good habits will get you rick rolled for first few hundred matches like there is no tomorrow.

Eh, I disagree. Yes some classes are not exactly hard, but they teach you the basic concepts, like teamfighting, skirmishing and when and how to res, stomp and cleave fairly well. Even necro does. Warrior is probably the most well-rounded example here. Rev, Thief, even arguably Ele, those are the ones Id recommend the least, because theyve either got too many things you need to keep in mind (Ele), basically play a different game of PvP than anyone else (thief) or are heavily team-reliant (Rev, Thief).

@"silklash.6154" said:Thanks for all the comments everyone.

I just had a quick question regarding what people are saying between being better at the game / learning the mechanics vs. an easy class.

Generalizing here, but it seems like a lot of the comments talk about playing a "1v1" class. Probably another dumb question, but is that the "basis" of good mechanics for every class? AKA - is every specialization ,despite their different roles, predicated on being able to hold your own 1v1 vs. another class? Is there any specialization or class that's purely meant to +1 or something and isn't expected to ever 1v1 or anything like that, and if the answer is yes, what would be the way to "learn the mechanics" then?

Different classes have different +1 prowess. Some are great to 1v1, some cant at all. For example, thief is purely meant to +1 (and decap) and isnt expected to ever 1v1. With it learning "the mechanics" is mostly learning rotation. When and where to be, who to +1. And above all else, when to run.

Or is it in general, playing something like spellbreaker that has a role forcing into 1v1s the best way to learn mechanics for any class or specialization I want to play? Aka 1v1'ing is the best way to improve mechanics and learn the game regardless of specialization/class?

1v1ing and teamfighting helps you understand how to fight. As well as ressing ,stomping, cleaving, all that stuff. Playing a class that can do both also helps you learn rotations incidentally. So playing a class that can do all of that (a jack of all trades if you will) is probably your best bet. Spellbreaker is a good example, though its a bit underpowered right now.

@silklash.6154 said:Hi all,

I’ve always been playing PvE in this game and want to try PvP. I don’t have the best mechanics of the world or the best reflexes.

Besides any necro class or specialization, what’re the top 3 specializations you would recommend a beginner to pvp for just solo queued ranked (not ATs or anything) thanks!

I’m sure everyone will recommend picking my favorite specializations, but I’m thinking objectively there’s gotta be specializations that are either easier to play (less skills or reactions needed) or are more forgiving to mistakes?

I did search this topic in the forums and the last topic I found was about a year ago. I hope this is the right place to ask!

Every class has access to forgiving gameplay in this game even if the forum would like to say the opposite, just focus on playing what you most have fun with and let that alone be the judge of your overall experience in the game

I'd say guardian variants - between core, firebrand and DH you have enough flexibility to learn the game and what are other classes doing. You can basically do everything except maybe +1ing. Has viable builds across all tiers as well, played up to the highest level in monthly tournaments regularly and in silver as well. A good jack of all trades class for starters that doesnt require deeper understanding at first, but offers very rewarding experience if you master it. Albeit it's a bit faceroll class.