Move the "select map" from the middle of the screen.

Buran.3796

@sephiroth.4217 said:

So yes it's seemingly a small change but how it ranks up with other items is probably very low.

So adding slots to speed up the limitless gathering tools which are selled in the gem store had high priority (which was mostly irrelevent and take resources to be implemented, but produced earnings), while making a small change in the UI (moving the screen alert to a corner, or making it smaller, translucent or less intrusive in any way) which demands almost no effort but would have a big benefit in the quality of life of the players is disdained for more than 8 months... I known that WvW/PvP sit very low in the ladder or interest of ANet, but I think that there's no excuse. The worker that gently revamped the GW 1 graphics could probably do this in like 5 minutes...

No one is saying it’s hard or a lot of work but it just falls low on the priority of things to change. This is how agile development works and is a proven methodology for software development.

I wish they would change it too but being in software development I take things as they are and don’t put impossible standards on other developers.

you seem to have some knowledge in the field so hopefully you can answer...

why do you think swiss tournies and alliances are taking nearly a year to implement? Does it actually involve a lot of work or do you think its part of the backlog by this stage?

I only know as much as the next person with why these changes are taking long but if I were to guess based on some forum posts from ANet...

Swiss style tournaments is going to be their new approach to ATs. Instead of play until you lose, it'll now turn into play until you meet a criteria (i.e., lose 3 and you're out). From my understanding of swiss style tournaments, they're more robust on how they work than standard single game elimination. So when they said they're pushing a lot of backend framework changes in that we won't see, then they're setting up the changes so it doesn't all break once they go live.

I don't know much about alliances but it does seem like a significant change.

"A lot of work" is all relative to how they're changing or adding features. Seeing as how these are two massive changes to wvw and pvp I'd imagine they're doing their due dilligence in getting it right the first time rather than pushing it out just because people on the forums want it yesterday.

Knowing that these are two significant changes, we also have to look at what else they're developing - we know living story is always in development with each major update, maybe expansion work, and other changes to the game. If they're still doing their 3 month release cadence then there's only so much that they can fit into those updates. So things have to get prioritized behind living world updates.

I don't know how ANet operates or how their resources are allocated so this is just all guess work on my end. I work for a large healthcare consulting company and within it on their software development team and we have two major releases a year along with government regulatory updates each month. I can't quite compare us vs. ANet as they're so different but the fundamentals of software development from planning, analysis, design, development, testing, deployment, and maintenance is all the same, more or less.

Here's the good news - if a feature is in their scrum backlog then it's on their radar of being implemented. We just don't know when other than what they tell us. So based on what BenP said, he put the feature in as an item and is just waiting to get it added to one of their sprints. But we don't know when that'll be.

@phokus.8934 said:

@"Alatar.7364" said:Yes please.If not "relocation" then at least make it "dismissable" like the Que-ready Screen.Every time the Map Selection pops up I am just about to sell something, so when it does I can only dream of Riches beyond.

Making it possible to dismiss the map vote box is on our backlog, though I'm not sure when we'll get to it.

it shouldnt be that hard to implement a button hide a popup inside a game Oo

It most likely has nothing to do with how hard it is but more likely that it's such a low priority item.

I don't know how they do things over at ANet but where I work we have two week sprints where items are ranked and then developed through an iterative process. In our software we have a lot of items that are easy to implement but if we spent our development time doing that then the core product and the impactful changes we want to implement will never get done. So each line item is ranked and put into our backlog. We have 20% "other" time where we can work on small changes but those are usually reserved for bug fixes.

So yes it's seemingly a small change but how it ranks up with other items is probably very low.

Yeah but if a feature is really really easy it shouldnt even affect the rest of their backlog... since it would take less than a hour to add a "Dismiss" button which the previous popup already have (the one where you need to accept/decline the pvp match) :/

@Zawn.9647 said:

@"Alatar.7364" said:Yes please.If not "relocation" then at least make it "dismissable" like the Que-ready Screen.Every time the Map Selection pops up I am just about to sell something, so when it does I can only dream of Riches beyond.

Making it possible to dismiss the map vote box is on our backlog, though I'm not sure when we'll get to it.

it shouldnt be that hard to implement a button hide a popup inside a game Oo

It most likely has nothing to do with how hard it is but more likely that it's such a low priority item.

I don't know how they do things over at ANet but where I work we have two week sprints where items are ranked and then developed through an iterative process. In our software we have a lot of items that are easy to implement but if we spent our development time doing that then the core product and the impactful changes we want to implement will never get done. So each line item is ranked and put into our backlog. We have 20% "other" time where we can work on small changes but those are usually reserved for bug fixes.

Yeah but if a feature is really really easy it shouldnt even affect the rest of their backlog... since it would take less than a hour to add a "Dismiss" button which the previous popup already have (the one where you need to accept/decline the pvp match) :/

You wouldn't think so but it does. Because of the trickle down effect in any change, especially a UI change needs to go through unit testing to QA and automating this piece to functional UAT. Before it even hits this part, it goes back to what I said earlier, how does this rank against other small changes that they want to implement?

My best guess is that this change will come after a major content update or maybe in a bug fix patch. I just hope it's soon because I spend my time in wvw when queuing up for pvp and it's a pain in the ass when it pops up fighting.

• 7 months later...

This is now almost 15 months older, with 4 major patches and a whole new chapter of the living season released since, and still we got nothing...

Let me summarize:

• Doing queue from PvP hall is boring and unproductive; most of players do it from PvE/WvW maps while playing content.
  • The "select map" screen is huge and blocks most of your vision near your character; if pops up while you're in combat in WvW chances are you will end killed.
  • Seems a very easy thing to fix.

You can even monetize it: I gladly would pay gems to rid off that annoying screen.

It Amazes me how little and simple changes to every other game to make always seens so complicated to GW2 and its engine. Take build templates for exemple, only now they're getting to work on it. To any other game, that would be a small update and that would be it. Here, they need to almost rework the entire game to do such a small improvement.

Another exemple would be spectate. Duo to engine restrictions, only like 10 people can spectate a match. Imagine how awesome would be to be able to spectate ATs whenever you want.

About time to move on to a better engine.

@Mbelch.9028 said:

@"yanniell.1236" said:To any other game, that would be a small update and that would be it. Here, they need to almost rework the entire game to do such a small improvement.

In what game would it be a small add-on?

In Diablo III the adition of build templates was done in a very minor patch in 2.5.0. No expansion, new character, new zone content or anything significative was made to that patch. Making the arena map selection smaller (and moving it to a corner, as happens with the display of "map almost empty, please change to other") should cost them almost nothing.

Build templates I do understand the complexity due how their network had to manage the placement of the items in the inventory, but as far as the PvP screen is related, this 15 months of nothingness speaks volumes about how much ANet cares for WvW/PvP.

It is ok, it is on the table, along with:

nerfing sustain on soulbeasts, spellbreakers, holonerfing miragesbuffing eles to near viablenerfing thieves and shiro's instant teleports that ignore LoS and their never ending unblockable attacksnerfing overly bunky classes like scrappers.

It is all coming along.... eventually, probably after GW4 or Guild Wars Mobile Wars. Just you wait, it is on /#TheTable

why does a small thing like this always be so hard for anet ?

We having this NPC next to the bank and ppl complaining when they press F it opens the dialouqe instead of the bank.

ANET response

YEs we know the issue we working on it4 years later NPC was not moved a milimeter

@Buran.3796 said:

@"yanniell.1236" said:To any other game, that would be a small update and that would be it. Here, they need to almost rework the entire game to do such a small improvement.

In what game would it be a small add-on?

In Diablo III the adition of build templates was done in a very minor patch in 2.5.0. No expansion, new character, new zone content or anything significative was made to that patch. Making the arena map selection smaller (and moving it to a corner, as happens with the display of "map almost empty, please change to other") should cost them almost nothing.

Build templates I do understand the complexity due how their network had to manage the placement of the items in the inventory, but as far as the PvP screen is related, this 15 months of nothingness speaks volumes about how much ANet cares for WvW/PvP.

the sad thing is ARC DPS can do that already, Maybe Anet just invite a developer from there over for a Bottle of Whiskey to steal their secret formula of build templates

@Kalli.4506 said:

@"Eddbopkins.2630" said:That screen is up for a total of what? 10 seconds? What meaningful thing can be done that pertains to the game ur about to enter that cant be done in the 1+ min of waiting after u get into the actual game?

I can die in the middle of a tense, interesting fight in WvW.

We have small notifications about PvE things at the bottom of the right side of the screen any time we achieve something, or the "empty map" calls, or the PvP achievements, and for the end of a queue in transit towards a WvW the banner covers the center of the display but at least is relatively small... But for PvP queues the notification covers your whole character and his near environment; if you're fighting can easily cause your death.

Why would you jump into those fights when you are queing for pvp and know you could get interrupted anytime? O.o

This is so not the point.

@Balsa.3951 said:why does a small thing like this always be so hard for anet ?

We having this NPC next to the bank and ppl complaining when they press F it opens the dialouqe instead of the bank.

ANET response

YEs we know the issue we working on it4 years later NPC was not moved a milimeter

Well, they have the same thing everywhere there's some form of bank NPC you want to interact with, it's definitely not there for no reason other than to stall you and keep you longer in-game. Not that this was the topic here, so .... exit right -> :)

• 11 months later...

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

Please? Two years and 0 improvements...

@Buran.3796 said:

Please? Two years and 0 improvements...

they have a very large table ok

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit curious. What makes it such a big deal to make it possible to dismiss that box - that it takes such a long time? A lil bit making it transparent would also be nice. Helps when still doing stuff in PvE when waiting for others to vote.

@Luthan.5236 said:I'm a bit curious. What makes it such a big deal to make it possible to dismiss that box - that it takes such a long time? A lil bit making it transparent would also be nice. Helps when still doing stuff in PvE when waiting for others to vote.Features/requests get scored against each other based on certain criteria. This, unfortunately, is not a critical problem and hasn’t made its way to a development sprint. I honestly don’t blame them because who knows how atrocious the UI code is for this but compared to the other updates and issues with GW2, a pop up box would be the least of my concerns.

@phokus.8934 said:

Features/requests get scored against each other based on certain criteria. This, unfortunately, is not a critical problem and hasn’t made its way to a development sprint. I honestly don’t blame them because who knows how atrocious the UI code is for this but compared to the other updates and issues with GW2, a pop up box would be the least of my concerns.

Build templates for Revenant keep not working (randomly swap the location of the utilities when moving ebetween game modes, jumping between mounts, being encased in shards, etc.). I can't talk for others, but I paid money for extra templates in my Rev and Guardian and while the later works perfectly in the Revenant just doesn't work and I must manually check every utility when I enter in a PvP match.... So, they are being lazy (or blatant unable) to fix coding errors EVEN in features with a entry fee. That's a critical problem for me: has been months since the template system implementation, a monetized feature and they still hadn't fixed it (or made ANY KIND of manifest about when they expect to fix the problem).

Their PR is just atrocious.

@Buran.3796 said:Seriously, is a hindrance any time you're waiting in queue for a PvP match while playing in WvW or another game modes and you are in the middle of a fight and suddenly the center of your screen is clogged for no reason. If I care I'll join the match, if I don't no matter how big is that kitten, I won't sign up.

And by the way a UI size redesign for players with big screens would be apreciated; I was using a 1440p display since 2011 (a year before the release) and won't even try to figure what would mean to play this game in a 4k monitor.

I disagree completely.

I think the match ready/map select box should be buffed. The match ready box should be increased to fill the entire UI of the screen, and the map select panel should be a text sent to each player's phone.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

I think the match ready/map select box should be buffed. The match ready box should be increased to fill the entire UI of the screen, and the map select panel should be a text sent to each player's phone.

PvP is mostly ~2~4 minutes of wait to join, ~1~2 minutes for the match to start and then roughly 10 minutes of gaming. So the inactive period consumes easily 30-40% of the time x match. Is easy to understand why most of people chose to PvP while farming different content in either PvE or WvW maps, because the lifeless PvP hub won't produce any value from our waiting time. Be as edgy as you want; I don't have any phone linked to the game. Anyway, this beg was made more than two years ago, when I used to play GW2 content while waiting for a PvP match; nowadays when I want to queue I just minimize the game and run twitch or any other thing in my desktop while I wait for the horn.... For sure their disregard about the topic did nothing to improve the game mode, and to be honest I no longer care.

@Buran.3796 said:

PvP is mostly ~2~4 minutes of wait to join, ~1~2 minutes for the match to start and then roughly 10 minutes of gaming. So the inactive period consumes easily 30-40% of the time x match. Is easy to understand why most of people chose to PvP while farming different content in either PvE or WvW maps, because the lifeless PvP hub won't produce any value from our waiting time. Be as edgy as you want; I don't have any phone linked to the game. Anyway, this beg was made more than two years ago, when I used to play GW2 content while waiting for a PvP match; nowadays when I want to queue I just minimize the game and run twitch or any other thing in my desktop while I wait for the horn.... For sure their disregard about the topic did nothing to improve the game mode, and to be honest I no longer care.

Yeah, I was just tossing a sarcastically entertaining bump for this thread.

I 100% agree with your OP statement of course. I had made a similar thread saying the same thing quite some time ago.