Mesmer and pistol

Draygorn.7012

I've always been fond of the pistol as an OH weapon. The animations and sounds are nice. But it seems like it just doesn't keep up with other OH weapons at all. For power dps, sword and focus seem to be much better, and condi mostly uses torch. I think the only place I've seen it used on the occasion is spvp for a quick stun.

But perhaps I've not done enough exploring with the weapon. In which scenarios is pistol preferred over the other OHs?

@Draygorn.7012 said:I've always been fond of the pistol as an OH weapon. The animations and sounds are nice. But it seems like it just doesn't keep up with other OH weapons at all. For power dps, sword and focus seem to be much better, and condi mostly uses torch. I think the only place I've seen it used on the occasion is spvp for a quick stun.

But perhaps I've not done enough exploring with the weapon. In which scenarios is pistol preferred over the other OHs?

pistol is good pvp weapon, as for pve its used for condi too, its a good weapon

@Tayga.3192 said:Phantasm does multiple attacks, meaning it will proc Sharper Images a lot of times.

that mattered last patch, now not only sharper got nerfed by 50%, we lost condi duration for another round of dmg loss but also crit condi amulets got removed so you wont be able to crit meaning no sharper procs, best we can do is wizard amulet ( i currently run it on my mes but not dueling ). dueling honestly offers nothing worthwhile for condi mes, other than DE, its power only tree now PepeHands

I find it's lost a lot of appeal since Torch's Phantasmal Mage has an AoE spread interrupt, sure it's telegraphed to a point, but it can be useful for baiting dodges. I am waiting with baited breath for us to have a mainhand pistol option one day (which is long, long overdue) but until then, the whole duelist fantasy kind of falls flat for me personally.

@mikdepadua.8376 said:(for pvp or wvw) i've learned that you dont take it for its damage potential, but because of how reliably it can set up burst with the pistol 5 into burst.Basically this. It’s also used to stack vulnerability which will increase damage taken from power and condi. Pistol used to be good stacking bleeds but since the heavy handed nerfs, it’s really just a utility weapon.

Thanks for your responses. I've tried it out on a power build and its damage potential pales a lot compared to focus and sword. But you guys are right about the #5 stun. It's a really quick animation with a 2.5 second stun. Really nice in pvp for shutting down other players with little time for them to react. Surprisingly effective :D

@Obliviscaris.6937 said:I am waiting with baited breath for us to have a mainhand pistol option one day (which is long, long overdue) but until then, the whole duelist fantasy kind of falls flat for me personally.

Yeah... It triggers me every time I go to do Daily LW3 maps and there are those Mercenary Pistoleers whom are P/P Mesmers. Who even get to use Unload but stacks Confusion per hit...

@Draygorn.7012 said:Thanks for your responses. I've tried it out on a power build and its damage potential pales a lot compared to focus and sword. But you guys are right about the #5 stun. It's a really quick animation with a 2.5 second stun. Really nice in pvp for shutting down other players with little time for them to react. Surprisingly effective :D

Yup.

At the moment, Pistol is pretty much focused around that stun.

That and it's the only alternative OH for a Condi build.

So, a power build will typically only use Pistol for PvP and if they want the extra breakbar damage in PvE.

@Draygorn.7012 said:Thanks for your responses. I've tried it out on a power build and its damage potential pales a lot compared to focus and sword. But you guys are right about the #5 stun. It's a really quick animation with a 2.5 second stun. Really nice in pvp for shutting down other players with little time for them to react. Surprisingly effective :D

stun duration got nerfed to 2s in pvp

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

stun duration got nerfed to 2s in pvp

Oh right. Only read the pve tooltip. Still, 2 seconds is pretty nice