Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

Only have this issue on the long chapter ending cutscenes (which is really really annoying - dozens of retries). On VirginMedia V6 (UK) here. Tried lots of suggestions posted here (many thanks), none unfortunately worked. Found a workaround though which might be worth a go if you can. Tried an iphone (EE) hotspot wifi connection with my laptop (and PC that has wifi) and playing through both the chapter endings I was stuck on completed successfully first time ^^. Worth a try if like me you have tried everything else.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like this is an over 2 year old issue, been fighting with these disconnects almost always at the final cutscenes of an instance during the Personal Story. Why do we not have 'bookmarks' within the instances yet, so at least if you do get dropped you can have the majority of the story completed when you return. Or keep the instance alive for 5-10 minutes so we have an opportunity to re-enter it.

Same. I actually can't do any new story instances now due to this. I just cant get myself to fight through a 30 minute story just to get DCd at the cutscene.Like others, i'm months behind in the story and there's no catching up because I can't actually progress.

Like many others, I've recently returned to GW2 after a long hiatus. I bought the Path of Fire and Living World 3&4 expansions. But after experiencing this fatal flaw 6 times, I've decided to write these purchases off as a sunk cost.

I have done telecomm software develoment for nearly 35 years and could be the ideal "friendly customer" that could gather detailed information for the developers but ANet's silence demonstrates that they simply don't care. It's very unfortunate because I really enjoyed reacquainting myself with my old guildmates but WvW and weekly guild missions are not enough to sustain my interest.

I’m just arriving to this thread in May, 2020, and have noticed some of the first few comments from over 2 years ago complaining about disconnecting following a cutscene during the final Arah story mission. I’ve had this happen three times in a row, and it’s extremely frustrating considering it’s the final story mission of the original campaign. Has there been any workable solutions presented to address this at all?

@Jay Mack.3481 said:I’m just arriving to this thread in May, 2020, and have noticed some of the first few comments from over 2 years ago complaining about disconnecting following a cutscene during the final Arah story mission. I’ve had this happen three times in a row, and it’s extremely frustrating considering it’s the final story mission of the original campaign. Has there been any workable solutions presented to address this at all?

play in windowed modeConstantly press jump/attack buttonsminimize gw2 during cutscenes.use a proxy

I decided to come back since other games are slow atm and still run into this issue. I was running into this in 2017 during my playthrough of all the personal stories. How is this still a massive issue? I honestly don't want to play anymore since this is a massive problem that has never been fixed.

Same issue here, came back, catching up on story. Every other instance sees me disconnect at the end of it. Please fix this. You've got people coming back after years and still have them running into this hot mess. They pay for living story episodes and then the episode's stories are broken. At the very least start adding saves every couple of steps so that when the disconnects inevitably do happen, you don't have to start from the bloody beginning, slogging through walking paces, unskippable scenes and dialogue's and so on. The story is fun, but not when you have to do it x times in a row because you keep bloody disconnecting. Really frustrating, especially seeing as people have been reporting this for years and the official responses have been rather underwhelming. And talk to your customers. Especially if this has been going on for 2 years.

Tried port forwarding, disabling firewalls, changing settings from fullscreen to windowed, alt-tabbing/minimizing during cutscenes, and pressing skills during cutscenes to no avail. It seems to be tied to scripted events and cutscenes whenever I lose connection and it's the same error 7:11:3:191:101 message everytime. I don't know what else to do to be honest and it's killing my interest in the game.

I've never had this issue for years but now it happens in every story instance and only story instances. I have no lag or fps drops during any world event, even Dragons Stand. Yet every story instance I do I disconnect. It's very frustrating since I want to enjoy the story and my friends are now way ahead of me in content .

It always happens to me. And 90% of the disconnections occur while waiting for the rewards of the mission to pop up :anguished:Which is really upsetting... if it would disconnect at the beginning of the mission it would be a little less frustrating I guess...

After finally being able to finish Victory or Death I was able to get all the way to Plan of Attack until it started happening again. I am at wits end at this point. I wish my problem was as easy as switching a "flood IP" setting off like some others but I have an Arris modem that doesn't have this setting. I just want to quit at this point.

I had one a few days back during the personal story, was in the mission "A Light in the Darkness"I beat the mission and was at the choice dialog box at the end deciding what to take as my "fear choice" and after a few minutes my game just went white screen... sounds and music still remained but I was locked out of the game, then I got a few of those disconnected box pop ups but the game didn't quit to desktop it just stuck on a white screen.Had to manually close the game and then redo the whole mission the day after.. which naturally I tried to rush through and bugged the dialogue.. forcing me to restart again >.<

Just a heads up i've been toying around with VPNs and Ping reduction services. I have so far used NordVPN (I have the 3 year sub from a while back) and Pingzapper. While NordVPN has prevented disconnects, my ping spikes quite a bit. This might have been due to VPN server location but more testing is needed. However, I was able to complete all of season 2 content without any disconnects with the settings I had.

Next I tried out a service called Pingzapper with the 7-day free trial they offer. I chose to test the service on The Departing mission (I had to complete it 8 times on PoF release with the same exact issues). I did a test with and without Pingzapper. The run without Pingzapper ended in a disconnect as usual. With Pingzapper on I was able to complete the mission with absolutely no issues. Now this could be a stroke of luck on my part or it means the service actually works. To give Pingzapper more testing I plan on doing the entire story on my Guardian up to Heart of Thorns with the service on the entire time.

In the meantime I recommend finding a VPN to help with disconnect issues if you have the same issues and have tried the other methods. I will try to post my test results hopefully soon.

Still happening May 13 2020

Question, what is the shortest instance where this can be confirmed happening so I could test various 'fixes'?

I have previously tried running GW2 in admin/elevated, adjusted how Windows Game Mode settings and the GFX tool work with GW2. ANet doesn't care to acknowledge this is an ongoing bug, and it stinks of HoT all over again where the final boss caused multiple crashes (yes, I Reaper), and destroying my enjoyment of playing this game. I literally stopped playing in HoT due to the BS with that end fight, and now 4 years later I am back and wondering what has changed, new fight, same inability to complete the story.....

Can confirm. This has been happening for years. Since Launch of HoT until now. I guess they have shiny things in the Trading Post to distract us, so who cares about in game technical debt, that is literally game breaking.

Came back to GW2 today to get booted to character log screen 3 times in a row trying to the last personal story mission. Not worth playing. Arenanet has been aware of this for years and not fixed it? How are they able to stay profitable?

Uninstalled.