Server Maintenance Reward is super unfair

I guess everyone noticed rollback and we're all still waiting for ArenaNet response.

Rollback decision is never easy to make, and if ArenaNet decided to rollback then I'm pretty sure there was a good reasons.

It would be really great to know whatever rollback is final, so regardless of trouble caused we can keep playing game without worry that yet another rollback will be performed.

We all lost time invested in the game, some sort of re-compensation would be appreciated as well.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but this has only just happened so I suspect Anet are still investigating and trying to work out what they can do. I'm sure they'll tell us as soon as we can.

Until then I'm just not logging in. I don't want to risk losing even more stuff, either because of another problem or because they have to erase new progress to restore the past few days. Which is annoying (especially since my other MMO is also offline for maintenance) but I'd rather wait than lose even more.

@Metyriel.9587 said:i agree. but i think, that they're pretty much forced to undo this rollback (if possible obviously). Because i'm sure, that there are players, that spent real money in the game in these last 2 days ( like me ).

Considering the rather low cost to buy gems with gold lately, I bet a lot of people have spent real money. That will surely be a priority.

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

@Metyriel.9587 said:i agree. but i think, that they're pretty much forced to undo this rollback (if possible obviously). Because i'm sure, that there are players, that spent real money in the game in these last 2 days ( like me ).

Considering the rather low cost to buy gems with gold lately, I bet a lot of people have spent real money. That will surely be a priority.

As I've said in other topics that's one thing I'm certain they will be able to fix. There will be records outside of the game of people spending real money on gems and things, so even if eveything in-game from the last 3 days is lost they'll be able to get those gems back.

I'm pretty annoyed atm.Got a level 80 that I'd spent a lot of time on that's now gone back to 64.Got a level 2 back that I deleted and the level 54 that I started in its place of course is now gone.The dinosaur mount I got from the chest yesterday will also be gone.That's a lot of in-game hours completely wasted.All the inventory items will be set back, all the new ones gone, lost.

I hope they set back because this is just not on.

This was going to happen soon or later, the servers were laggy, sometime unplayable and kept disconnecting players with some sort of log errors.They knew the servers were strugguling so I really, REALLY hope, for the sake of our mental state for those who farmed hard this weekend they knew this was going to happen and kept a daily backup or something like that.The problem is, even if this is fixable how can we still trust it won't fail again and if they can fix it ?For now just don't play, wait for an official response and just hope they can fix this.Sorry for my poor english, I hope you can understand.

@Blocki.4931 said:This was not their decision, it was most likely automated or done to prevent further damage.

I don't think rollback is something that can be considered for automation,rollback is sort of last resort type of thing, if things goes so wrong that it's not possible to fix stuff easily and quickly.

@Azala Yar.7693 said:I'm pretty annoyed atm.Got a level 80 that I'd spent a lot of time on that's now gone back to 64.Got a level 2 back that I deleted and the level 54 that I started in its place of course is now gone.The dinosaur mount I got from the chest yesterday will also be gone.That's a lot of in-game hours completely wasted.All the inventory items will be set back, all the new ones gone, lost.

Yes it's annoying, but in the scheme of things it's only a game. Remember there are people out there dying from the crappy virus that's forcing us to sit at home playing games instead of doing our day jobs, and even more people who have are working double shifts at their day jobs caring for those sick people. Perspective is important ;)

@Stormwolf.8567 said:

@Azala Yar.7693 said:I'm pretty annoyed atm.Got a level 80 that I'd spent a lot of time on that's now gone back to 64.Got a level 2 back that I deleted and the level 54 that I started in its place of course is now gone.The dinosaur mount I got from the chest yesterday will also be gone.That's a lot of in-game hours completely wasted.All the inventory items will be set back, all the new ones gone, lost.

Yes it's annoying, but in the scheme of things
it's only a game
. Remember there are people out there dying from the crappy virus that's forcing us to sit at home playing games instead of doing our day jobs, and even more people who have are working double shifts at their day jobs caring for those sick people. Perspective is important ;)

That is a completely different issue so take your perspective and shove it.

@Azala Yar.7693 said:

Yes it's annoying, but in the scheme of things
it's only a game
. Remember there are people out there dying from the crappy virus that's forcing us to sit at home playing games instead of doing our day jobs, and even more people who have are working double shifts at their day jobs caring for those sick people. Perspective is important ;)

That is a completely different issue so take your perspective and shove it.

Okay... if they don't fix this I've lost progress on a number of quests (including a lege weapon), at least 300 gold from the weekend's raiding / fractals / trading, plus probably another 200 gold of materials that were on the TP, 2000 gems (traded for in-game gold) ...and that's a bare minimum. And while yes it sucks, it doesn't take away the fun I had playing the game on Saturday / Sunday with the only friends I get to interact with these days, nor is it all that important in anyone's real life... if it is that important to you I would say you need to get out more, but that's probably a bad idea right now :) As other people have said, anyone that's lost real money in terms of cash->gem/gold purchases; those things will be tracked independently for audit purposes, so reimbursement is almost certain. The rest of it is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

@Maglus.2751 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:This was not their decision, it was most likely automated or done to prevent further damage.

I don't think rollback is something that can be considered for automation,rollback is sort of last resort type of thing, if things goes so wrong that it's not possible to fix stuff easily and quickly.

Actually, it can be completely automated. And if they intended to do a rollback, they would have announced thet the servers would go offline, disconnected everyone, THEN rolled them back. They wouldn't do it with everyone logged in. In any case, it wouldn't have happened in a split second between the moment we all crashed and the minute or so when we all could log back in.

Most likely, the main database crashed, for some reason, whatever it may be, the most up to date data couldn't be used, so the system automatically switched to whatever was available at that time, and it happened to be 3 days old data. Any IT-centered company worth their salt has several failsafes in place, in case the primary one doesn't work. Think what you will of NC Soft, but they're neither newcomers nor amateurs in that field. I've worked with companies who had either no backyup at all, terribly bad backup solutions, or even better, one instance of a company that wouldn't revoke former employee access to the systems, even though they parted in a less than nice way... Resulting in former employee malevolence and every clients' data being wiped out TWICE in a week.

I'd wager we have a case of shitty secondary database background update here.

@Maglus.2751 said:I guess everyone noticed rollback and we're all still waiting for ArenaNet response.

Rollback decision is never easy to make, and if ArenaNet decided to rollback then I'm pretty sure there was a good reasons.

It would be really great to know whatever rollback is final, so regardless of trouble caused we can keep playing game without worry that yet another rollback will be performed.

We all lost time invested in the game, some sort of re-compensation would be appreciated as well.Should they worning us about such decisions beforehand?