Unexpectedly High FPS - Video Issues???

Hello GW2 Friends,

I have been having low FPS with GW2 for....ever? I have been reading these forums and others since 2016 looking for solutions to low FPS. Sometime in 2016 my FPS in GW2 went from very beautiful and playable at above average settings, to barely playable with low settings and features turned off. Since then I have built a completely new computer, and continued to run into low FPS in GW2, until yesterday....

What a glorious day it was, my FPS was over 20, it was over 60....it was....over 120!!!! (according to my Radeon app, my lifetime average FPS on my new PC in GW2 is 5 FPS, yesterday it was 65 FPS)

I recognized that, for the first time in a year with this new setup my video card decided to be engaged and fans were spinning the GPU and CPU were showing load and activity in my monitoring software comparable to most other games I run. I restarted the PC, restarted the game several times, logged different characters and still my FPS soared, I set the settings to best appearance, went to Lion's Arch, set the character limits to High and spun in circles of smooth free flowing frames all beautifully rendered....

....Until this morning..... It has gone back to running like absolute trash....

So I have no idea what is happening and looking for some assistance. Reviewing the existing threads and posts here and on other sites, most issues are automagically resolved with no clear steps to resolution. I am wondering if, given the symptoms I have listed, if anyone can point me in the right direction.

My belief is that this is something that can be resolved, I just have no idea where to start with this. Alongside building a totally new system, I have reinstalled the game multiple times to different drives and locations, formatted and reinstalled the OS, gone through my drivers and updates multiple times. I have tweaked the Radeon settings and Mobo settings, gone through every setting I can find info on for the OS as well.

For all of that, there were no updates in the past 48 hours, no changes to the system etc, I didn't try tweaking anything etc, just left it as is.

Why did it work yesterday? What am I missing here?

This is puzzling. When you progressively pushed the game settings to higher quality to test how far you could go, are you positive that you did not select one particular setting that would bring it back to its knees, such as the sampling algorithm? (Shooting in the dark here.) When you set everything back to lowest, are you back to the same miserable fps you had before the miracle day?

Since I posted this this morning, I was trying a bunch of things with no luck, leading to me having wiped my PC and done a fresh install of Windows 10 on to a traditional HDD.

At this time I am sitting in game and this is running beautifully, I am in Lion's Arch at the Mystic Forge with ~52 FPS, all settings on high.

What is of interest to me though, is the drive the OS is installed to.

My old PC had the OS on SSD via SATA (2 different 120-200 gig Intel units over it's life). The new PC had Win 10 installed on the SSD via M2. As I mentioned above, I have now installed my OS to a regular Hard Drive and I am wondering if moving the OS off the SSD has rectified my issues.

All I have done today is installed the OS to the HDD, installed GW2 to the aforementioned M2 SSD and posted to this thread. No driver updates or other nonsense.

Previously I have had to reinstall the SSD Driver after every major windows update, as well as the GFX and sometimes sound/mobo. Windows was trying to provide the drivers and they never worked for any games. I really did not expect the native Win 10 drivers to let me install and run GW2.

Since it is hard for me to qualify that the drive the OS was installed to was the issue I will leave this open ended, any thoughts would be appreciated. If over the next week I manage to break GW2 again, I will post what I did and how I fixed it (assuming I can).