Should there be player housing in GW2?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Naxos.2503 said:If they dont revamp Guild halls to be desirable, then yes. Otherwise no, some housing functions could easily be implemented into Guild halls, up to and including bed furniture, and usable furniture, we have examples of that already. The problem is that they're too few to be housing related, and guild halls do not function as the hub they should be.

Guild halls not funktioning as the hub they should be is another mayor problem. Last sunday I went exploring the jumping puzzles in our guild hall with some other guildmates. We're halfway through the JP when one player leaves the GH and the instance is closed. Then we were back at the teleporter and no longer in the JP.

@jurgen.6375 said:

@Dami.5046 said:I am now voting 'YES' but only if
  1. It is a proper house. Not an instance everyone has. A proper house you can walk round and see- houses that others can walk into, and you can see other houses.
  2. You can upgrade your house. Be it with gold or by crafting.
  3. New crafting profession, i want to craft my beds, chairs, tables! Cupboards for extra storage.
  4. Store is full of wall papers, furniture, and themed items.
  5. I am guaranteed that I will not lose my house in the event of any server changes ie mergers.
  6. IT gives you buffs or an incentive to own one.

I like the ideal of having someone else to work for other than weapons and armours. Hell at this moment in time if it meant gathering wood and metal and making it form scratch i would.A little homestead with a farm for my mounts. Or a tree house in the jungle. or a hut in the mountains with a log burning fire.And here's the thing - you can choose to do it! Yeah it might cost 10k wood to do a basic house, but no one will force you!

I mean what do people want if every thing people suggest is scoffed at?

you can add recipes to the current crafting professions for furniture

yes for the GH.I would want it separate from scribing.

Personally the thought of decorating a house doesn't hold a lot of interest for me. However, I do know people who really like that sort of thing. Two of my sisters used to make fun of me all the time for playing video games, until Facebook came out with those cutesy animal games where you could decorate your house and invite others to come and see it. Suddenly both sisters were spending as much time gaming as I did. :) One of my nieces first got introduced to gaming with some kids' mmo where you could decorate your house and hang out in it with your friends. Right now that niece and her mom are spending much of their current lockdown time jointly playing the latest Animal Crossing. My only caveat about introducing such things to GW2 is the amount of developer time involved.

Oh, and another thought, rather than a house, I wish they would make the home instance customizable. I would rearrange my resource nodes if I could.

Should there be more options for customizing your personal play habits? Absolutely.Does that mean there must be a virtual dollhouse to play in? No.

There's no fault in MMO games being "unfocused", but there are limits to how far that focus can widen before it loses itself; loses sight of its goals and identity.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@hugo.4705 said:I said it, will say again, I'm ready to spend gems to get an additional house plot or whatever.People said the same thing about templates. Be careful what you wish for. Anet might provide it.

Yeah I know, but wouldn't be disappointed, whereas i don't care about buying additional slots for templates, I will buy additional house slots, dimensions or upgrades. Whereas many spend their gold and gems into cosmetics and leggies, I spend them into crafting decos in Guild hall.

The topic of housing comes up enough to show there is interest. Housing modeled on the home instance and public hubs could resonate so well with the game. I would like to see a network of interconnected public and private hubs with public hubs upgraded through the actions of all players and private hubs upgraded by individual players.

To everyone saying guild halls cant be used properly? You lack imagination.

The RP guild im a part of has turned our guild into a resort with private rooms, houses, bars etc. Sure it would be nice if there where more decorations and more variety which is why i say no. Build up the guild hall decoration variety, add more functions(crafters, vendors, etc) to the guild hall and allow for a higher item limit per each hall and more variety of guild halls.

It would be cool if they put their 'spin' on it too, like they did with mounts. Maybe something to encourage you to replay content? Perhaps if you do a certain number of things in a LW map, then those vendors come visit your home for a week, and you have access to their resources (like the 5/day mats), or other small bonuses. Maybe there are styles or decoration types or themes that you can keep your neighborhood setup with if you've completed those objectives.

Not too much work, just some way to encourage replaying with maintaining changes to services or what not in your home/neighborhood? But ultimately, 'Yes', and I'd be really interested to see what their 'spin' on it (like mounts) would be.

One word- Wildstar.

Add housing equal to the housing system of Wildstar and you peak my interest as that was amazing. That being said... I put 'I don't know' as I'm not sure it's a good idea taking more people out of hub maps and guild halls. Maybe the option of a 'guild map' with dedicated, claimable plots for each player to build on and a meeting Hub in the middle? Again not ideal as larger guilds would struggle for space maybe but....hmm.... my mind is racing for ideas!

Not worth the dev time, IMO, especially as most people would never want to visit your home even if it had a function and wasn't just for decorating. Though I would like to see scribe materials become more valuable, so that part would be good. Maybe for Guild Wars 3, though.

And if the home instance as it currently is was customizable, I'd totally move all the nodes to the entrance; that would feel pretty good to farm.