Server Maintenance Reward is super unfair

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Virdo.1540 said:I think every player which got problems with Rollback over the weekend AND wasnt able to play the SAB to end or Gw2 at all FOR OVER A DAY should receive the Mount skin.What about players that took free just for enjoying last days of the SAB? Should they just have get the panic from sunday for over 48hours to get a full rollback? Plus wasting their time waiting for the servers to come back?

This isnt fair at all. I know people that take this stuff as a serious reason to quit gw2 and i can fully understand them.(even though i got the full compensation)

...not to mention all the other problems that hurt gw2 bad ....like server problems at all...

I for example couldn't complete the last daily to get the achievement and the last crimsom token to get the skin, but hey, they gave us a bonfire that is going to be directly going into the bin while others get a shiny mount.

Lots of varied comments and opinions being posted on this topic, so I figure I may as well add my thoughts, not that it's going to make any difference to anything, but what the heck. I didn't log-in on Monday, normally I don't play in the daytime and usually log-in to play in the evenings. I wasn't even aware of any issue until I tried to log-in on Monday evening and wasn't able to. Tried to log-in to these forums and couldn't even do that, I simply could not log-in to my account anywhere, so all I could do was read about what was happening, not that ANet was providing much information other than the EU servers had been taken down for maintenance and that there had been player reports of account rollbacks that ANet were investigating. That was it, I had no options, couldn't log-in to my account so I couldn't do anything. Just had to wait for ANet to complete the maintenance which eventually happened the next day. When I finally tried to log-in on Tuesday evening there was some sort of network issue that was preventing log-ins! So I had to wait for ANet to check that out, fortunately that didn't take very long and I was able to log-in a little later on Tuesday evening. So, I wasn't able to log-in for some 20+ hours, but I didn't lose any in-game progress or any items. Now I find out that ANet is giving affected players some compensation, which is a nice gesture from them. But what am I getting I wonder? A free Communal Boost Bonfire! But anyone who was able to log-in earlier on Monday will also receive a free Curious Creatures Mount Select License.

Not really sure how I feel about this compensation to be honest. I've been playing GW2 since the days of Beta, I've taken a few breaks over the years but I've been playing fairly consistently the last few years. Never once have I felt that I had any reason to complain about ANet, in fact, until now I've always felt that I've been treated pretty well. Yeah, until now. Over 20 hours I could not log-in, that wasn't my choice, I simply could not log-in to my account, at all, anywhere! For that "inconvenience" I'm being given a free Communal Boost Bonfire! I know others lost actual progress and items, I know others have more reasons to be upset about what happened on Monday. For those who do get the free mount skin that's a nice gesture from ANet and that does feel like compensation. For the rest of us who just get a free Communal Boost Bonfire, I just don't feel like that's compensation for anything, especially when ANet have given everyone a free Communal Boost Bonfire recently and are giving us all a free Communal Boost Bonfire on Friday, 15 May!

If these are the compensation rewards chosen by Anet, they should have been reversed - everyone who was affected should have gotten the mount and then on top of that those who for whatever reason were online during the disconnects also get the bonfire. I find that far more reasonable and logical.

In my opinion compensation system was really unfair. Yes - it's compensation not reward. Anet punished people, who behaved reasonable and did not played during Monday, while rewarded recless people, who just log in (instead turning off client servers earlier). Heck I did not even got that ekhm bonefire yet.Also speaking that players, who did not log in were not affected, is huge understatement. I was worried about all my progress from weekend, skins I got as a drop and lost posibility to play SAB. Not even mentioning even daily rewards and quests. What I get for being reasonable? Bonefire I won't use at all. Anet treated us - players - unevenly, promoting risky behaviour, not responsible one.

I lost SAB progress. Missed out a SAB daily. Lost items and gold. Spent 30 dollars a week before the crash or so. Got no compensation as far as I know.

Wiered. Do I need to cry out loud with a ticket and post or should you reward players who are understanding and non toxic to the issue?

Then there is my little story.

Logged in on Monday, unaware of any rollbacks and excited to turn my 400+ bubble baubles into food to sell. All that ecto salvaging later I turn them all into food and put them up on the trading post for higher than buy price. I go about my day noticing after they were put up that there was a rollback. I then choose to not play anymore that day to prevent any loses. Or so I thought.

Que the reset and the weekend rollback being restored. I am restored to a time where I had already traded the baubles in and put the food up. But the food had already been sold but no gold came into the post.

I logged a ticket and the matter is being investigated. No reply for over 24 hours. Ok cool they are busy. Probably. But low behold, what is this in my mailbox?

A communal bonfire. No licence. No gold. No baubles.

A communal bonfire.

An approximate 200 gold. For a bonfire.

-curtain closes-

@Cynder.2509 said:I just got an ingame mail with both of the items even though I didn't know I was eligibel for the mount license as I only logged in shortly on Monday to check some stuff and re-pickup login rewards and sell some stuff because I thought the rollback couldn't be fixed anymore.However in my honest opinion I think that EVERYONE should get noth items. Not just those who logged in during a specific time on Monday. I think everyone who was affected by the rollback deserves a license. It's just a little unfair what Anet decided here.I have to admit, I feel a little guilty and bad for myself and the others who didn't get anything.I hope the decision will be reconsidered. <3

Again, I feel very sad for for everyonyone else and I think everyone deserves a free skin consided also what happend way before the recent events.

For example: look at eso. They give free eso plus for an ENTIRE week for free.

Agree. I specifically did not log in because I saw people posting on social media and reddit that the whole weekend was rolled back and that it could make it harder for Anet to fix it if you do more stuff on your account. Since I had played a LOT on the weekend that pretty much terrified me out of trying, and I just stressed there whole day refreshing Twitter pretty much.So now the takeaway is basically, "Something wrong with the servers? Better log in and do all the things!" Idk man.

Yea, i log into the game just to my character select menu then saw my chars got rollback and exit the game asap. Also to make this easier for anet and geeting boonfire for this while other my friends was afk in LA and got mount skin :)))) So Faiiiiiir

My partner bought all of those mounts the day before the announcement (wouldnt have with the knowledge of them giving a free license) and now got a useless mount selection license.

I specifically didn't log in because I knew about the rollback and issues and was expecting some kind of downtime/fix. I don't have the mount skins and would like them.

Guess I'll die.

@lodjur.1284 said:My partner bought all of those mounts the day before the announcement (wouldnt have with the knowledge of them giving a free license) and now got a useless mount selection license.

I specifically didn't log in because I knew about the rollback and issues and was expecting some kind of downtime/fix. I don't have the mount skins and would like them.

Guess I'll die.

Since its so close ask to get one of them refuned so the gift aint wasted,

Logged in right now to check and to my surprise I did get a mail with both mount skin Licence and Communal Boost Bonfire. Mail where 5 hours old according to mail info. Thank you ANet!

It might be that their server need some time send it out. Check your inbox (mail) and make sure that you do not have 10 mail occupying your inbox. I removed some mail yesterday just to be sure that it wasn't blocking any new mail. With several characters (a new toon that you level up) and doing Story parts it is easy to fill up your inbox for mail as each story step will send a new mail to what to do next, map points do also trigger some messages and purchasing gems and adding items can also occupy inbox with two mails from just one purchase (like upgrading account to Delux). One where you get items and one that just state that have bought something.

Now I am happy again! Good work ANet! <3

I'm in the same boat of waking up, received the news, and didn't log in. As did many others I know as well. I was really happy when Anet finally took the server down for maintenance and I'm completely OK with them taking more than a day to fix the problem, as long as they can restore the weekend progress. Because, at that point, it's what matters the most. In the end though, splitting the community like this and providing the license only to those who log in while others who stayed offline was left the rest out feels like a slap in the face and really leave me with a bad taste. Honestly speaking, I couldn't care less about the skins, but it's the feeling of being tossed aside and getting a communal bonfire while also being similarly affected (directly and indirectly) that makes feel really feel disgruntled and don't feel like playing due to this treatment.

@Cynder.2509 said:

@Cynder.2509 said:I just got an ingame mail with both of the items even though I didn't know I was eligibel for the mount license as I only logged in shortly on Monday to check some stuff and re-pickup login rewards and sell some stuff because I thought the rollback couldn't be fixed anymore.However in my honest opinion I think that EVERYONE should get noth items. Not just those who logged in during a specific time on Monday. I think everyone who was affected by the rollback deserves a license. It's just a little unfair what Anet decided here.I have to admit, I feel a little guilty and bad for myself and the others who didn't get anything.I hope the decision will be reconsidered. <3

Again, I feel very sad for for everyonyone else and I think everyone deserves a free skin consided also what happend way before the recent events.

I haven't seen ZeniMax (ESO) give any compensation voluntary for downtime during server problems, so that is new to me! They also had some serious problems (server had to be taken down several times for long duration - days) for some time ago and there where a large out cry like here! I was a subscriber so we where a bit upset about this as we did loose paid playtime (30 day or more depending on sub). I can't recall if we got something in the end, but it wasn't on the same scale as ANets skin for a mount worth 1200 Gems.

I know they have a campaign for returning player as I received that offer once which used to get back in game. In that regard ANet have been more forthcoming and have better CS (they respond and also fix things).

Free ESO+ is a campaign ZeniMax have on regular basis, so it is not the same as when something have been messed up with their servers and you can't access game for days.

@"Cronos.6532" said:No, there's just no delete function on the forum; it's common practice to snip the contents of your post on forums that disallow deletion, especially if one hadn't been quoted yet. I wasn't really wrong, I just changed my opinion based on an understanding. I realized this within a few minutes of posting, so it's plenty fine.

Of course you where wrong and you know it, there's no changing mind when it comes to simple facts. But you justifying this in every possible way only makes me feel that you are never "really wrong".

@"ReaverKane.7598" said:

BDO does give out recompense to EVERYONE, especially when they have unexpected issues. I got rewards from last time this happened in BDO even though i wasn't even playing, i just logged in to collect the goodies and logged out, that was my play time in BDO for 3 months during that period.Can't speak about the other ones though.

You've said you don't know what other mmo's so I gave you examples. If you played BDO you should be well aware that they take down the servers every wednesday for 4 hours for maintenance yet you said "anything released after 2009 shouldn't have any down times for updates or maintenance."You are denying yourself.

@Cynder.2509 said:

Might want to learn the difference between a marketing campaign and compensation for some problem(s)! ZeniMax haven't given compensation for anything for quite some time now, though they do run regular marketing campaigns where they give all accounts a free week of ESO+ to try and encourage players to pay for ESO+. If you already pay for ESO+ these campaigns give you absolutely nothing, you still pay for the week that everyone else gets for free!

@Zulvio.4520 said:

@"ReaverKane.7598" said:

BDO does give out recompense to EVERYONE, especially when they have unexpected issues. I got rewards from last time this happened in BDO even though i wasn't even playing, i just logged in to collect the goodies and logged out, that was my play time in BDO for 3 months during that period.Can't speak about the other ones though.

You've said you don't know what other mmo's so I gave you examples. If you played BDO you should be well aware that they take down the servers every wednesday for 4 hours for maintenance yet you said "anything released after 2009 shouldn't have any down times for updates or maintenance."You are denying yourself.

Well, i played BDO very briefly, and never experienced down time, so i forgot about those.Still doesn't mean Arena Net is exceptional. Since we're talking examples, i've been playing Warframe frequently recently. Not only does it not have maintnance downtime, but they also regularly give away stuff to players, they give out up to 75% discounts on premium currency prices as a log in reward, and will generally communicate with the players when there is a problem.Also, when there's stuff amiss due to error on their behalf, they will compensate everyone equally and generously.For example, recently in an event they hosted, the scoring system was buggy, and some players didn't get alloted their proper score. As compensation, they gave everyone 2x their previous score.Sure for those that didn't suffer the bug it would be a higher compensation than for others, but because it was a blanket measure, it was generally well received.And that's what you want with these kinds of things, to make people happy and forget the issue. Not keep the issue in discussion for another week.