Reliable ways to apply condi without P/D? [PVP]

Meretrel.3541

Last time i tried to make condi thief like 4 years ago, and it was kinda fun with all these poisons and bleeding and all that aSsaSSIn stuff.Not so long ago I saw P/D condi build in Vallun's video, with poison sharing through Thievery guild. But it's... doesn't feel right somehow. Yes, the burst is nice, but it feels cancerous, and when you eat ppl alive from range in literally seconds, just by pressing 3 skills, there is no feeling of accomplishment.Now I tried to play through D/D since it's 3 gives a nice amount of poisons and pretty cheap to spam. Damage is nice, I got some AoE, but now it's a troll build, since there is not much sense in using anything but 1 and 3, with occasionally 5. Shortbow can spice things up with claster bow, but that's pretty much it. Trait Leeching venoms in Shadow Arts also COULD be more useful but 3 sec duration between gaining stacks is insane and only useful for duels imhoSo what weapon set is best for a condi build? How to apply as much condi as possible per initiative spent? Is there any reason to switch Rune of the Lynx for increased condi duration runes, and what is better to pick, poison or bleeding? Is it even worth picking up shadow arts, or is it better to stick to Daredevil for extra evades, and dash\impaling lotus?Sorry for maybe dumb questions, and thanks in advance.

Yes, the burst is nice, but it feels cancerous, and when you eat ppl alive from range in literally seconds, just by pressing 3 skills, there is no feeling of accomplishment.

How to apply as much condi as possible per initiative spent?

It seems to me that you've already answered your question, you just don't like the answer.

The problem with d/d is once they out of INI for that deathblossom spam there little they can do and next to now way to protect oneself. No blinds, low stealth access and all you really doing is pressing one button.

The fact of the matter is across the board in either Power or Condition , there a whole lot of only pressing a couple of buttons.

@babazhook.6805 said:The problem with d/d is once they out of INI for that deathblossom spam there little they can do and next to now way to protect oneself. No blinds, low stealth access and all you really doing is pressing one button.

The fact of the matter is across the board in either Power or Condition , there a whole lot of only pressing a couple of buttons.

Quite true. People didn’t run P/D for the longest time on condi though because people were able to use DB spam and evades on Daredevil to avoid damage on point.

That P/D had more team fight utility didn’t matter because people could take 1v3s against middling players and emerge relatively unscathed.

Now @Meretrel.3541, if you want to play P/D without the venom share, because you think it will be nerfed or isn’t actually fun to play...I can offer several builds in pure condi or hybrid that do decent damage and aren’t just “drop guild, venom, steal and run away.”

@saerni.2584 said:

@babazhook.6805 said:The problem with d/d is once they out of INI for that deathblossom spam there little they can do and next to now way to protect oneself. No blinds, low stealth access and all you really doing is pressing one button.

Quite true. People didn’t run P/D for the longest time on condi though because people were able to use DB spam and evades on Daredevil to avoid damage on point.

That P/D had more team fight utility didn’t matter because people could take 1v3s against middling players and emerge relatively unscathed.

Now @Meretrel.3541, if you want to play P/D without the venom share, because you think it will be nerfed or isn’t actually fun to play...I can offer several builds in pure condi or hybrid that do decent damage and aren’t just “drop guild, venom, steal and run away.”

Share them :)

Yup, DD pretty much suck, and i don't like P/D kit so I will roll back to standard D/P or try to master S/D.Or....

@saerni.2584 said:

Sure, share these build please, it's always interesting what other ppl may come up with

So a few caveats here. I play mainly Deadeye these days. I can suggest Daredevil or Core builds but my build variants are based on Deadeye because, as a ranged weapon set, I think Deadeye compliments a ranged play style. I also think P/D is a hybrid set so my stats are hybrid.

I’ll start with my current Deadeye:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAoiVlFw2YgMImJe2WnvTA-zRRYLRHjN4SJlIIqQIiCI3EwzLyQsHgkPNLnaWB-e

Mix Carrion/Grieving/Thief Runes. The crit is essential for building up malice faster, dealing out higher power damage and then using Sneak Attacks for torment and bleed. There is a little poison thrown in from weaving in and out of stealth. You can/should use your stolen skills to gain stealth or supplement your damage as needed. You will have two potential trait changes depending on opponent(s). First, you can swap out Cloaked in Shadow for Rending Shade if you are facing a boon spamming opponent. Solo roaming, I prefer CiS for the AoE blind on stealth because you often are 1v2 or 1v3 and blind helps keep you alive. Second, you can swap out Silent Scope for Payback, especially in group fights where you don’t need to max damage and may need to fight more than four enemies at once, you will benefit from the cooldown reduction from kills of marked targets.

If you want to go more Condi than Power, but still hybrid, you can drop Trickery for Deadly Arts. This is only recommended if you can handle the initiative loss and in my opinion this synergizes less well than Trickery (which gives you more Marks and more crit from Thrill of the Crime).

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAoiVlFw2YgMImJOuObvTA-zRRYLRHjN4SJlIIqQIiCI3EwzLyQsHgkPNLnaWB-e

If you want to go Core you get both Deadly Arts and Trickery:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAoiVlFw2YgMN2JOOPbrVA-zRRYLRHjN4SJlIIqQIiCI3EwzLyQsHgkPNLnaWB-e

You get much less stealth than the Deadeye version but you get both the crit rate and the Deadly Arts poison damage bonus. The signet lets you burst hard on a target with a good chunk of vulnerability or you can swap that out for extra stealth or cleanse or whatever.

• 1 month later...

That's why when you build for Ebola, you also build for endurance gain for Impaling Lotus. The entire build is all about resource management. You don't spam dodge or DB, you alternate and use the evasive skills as counters while you try to build up high stacks of bleed and poison. And I know people say having a bunch of conditions applied > having a high stack of a few conditions, but having a high stack of a few lasting conditions has it's own merits. Constantly applying high stacks of bleed makes people burn through their cleanses.

@Zacchary.6183 said:

That's why when you build for Ebola, you also build for endurance gain for Impaling Lotus. The entire build is all about resource management. You don't spam dodge or DB, you alternate and use the evasive skills as counters while you try to build up high stacks of bleed and poison. And I know people say having a bunch of conditions applied > having a high stack of a few conditions, but having a high stack of a few lasting conditions has it's own merits. Constantly applying high stacks of bleed makes people burn through their cleanses.

Yes and that works against players that do not understand the build specifically those that remain under the DB umbrella as you use #3 and impaling. When I face one of these builds its rather easy to get them to waste INI just by staying out of range and or dodging a few DBS. People have this tendency to not use dodges and blocks against condition builds. DB has an easy to see tell. You do not have to worry about much outside the DB itself. The impaling lotus conditions are not all that worrisome if you avoid those deathblossoms.

@babazhook.6805 said:

Yes and that works against players that do not understand the build specifically those that remain under the DB umbrella as you use #3 and impaling. When I face one of these builds its rather easy to get them to waste INI just by staying out of range and or dodging a few DBS. People have this tendency to not use dodges and blocks against condition builds. DB has an easy to see tell. You do not have to worry about much outside the DB itself. The impaling lotus conditions are not all that worrisome if you avoid those deathblossoms.

Assuming you can stay out of range. I know there are some builds that can do that, but ultimately that's why cripple spam is so prevalent in it. When I used it back then, I always had Caltrops and Uncatchable (pre nerf) and would dodge through with Impaling. Even without caltrops, you'd be able to apply enough cripple with just Impaling and Uncatchable to keep them from moving away too far.

@Zacchary.6183 said:

Assuming you can stay out of range. I know there are some builds that can do that, but ultimately that's why cripple spam is so prevalent in it. When I used it back then, I always had Caltrops and Uncatchable (pre nerf) and would dodge through with Impaling. Even without caltrops, you'd be able to apply enough cripple with just Impaling and Uncatchable to keep them from moving away too far.

This does not work against pew pew ranger. It does not work against s/x thief or p/d condition thief. It does not work against Staff daredevil. D/D thief lacks two of the major thief advantages, that being stealth and mobility. They rely heavily on evades. With DB now costing 5 INI every class out there can easily evade two of those attacks with their base dodges. You add in blocks and other evades and you can avoid the majority of those DBS without even needing range.

The #1 attack for condition thief is too weak to rely on and impaling is nerfed to the point where it really just used for cover conditions. Eat the impaling and avoid the DB and you generally come out winning even if you stay in close.

@babazhook.6805 said:

This does not work against pew pew ranger. It does not work against s/x thief or p/d condition thief. It does not work against Staff daredevil. D/D thief lacks two of the major thief advantages, that being stealth and mobility. They rely heavily on evades. With DB now costing 5 INI every class out there can easily evade two of those attacks with their base dodges. You add in blocks and other evades and you can avoid the majority of those DBS without even needing range.

The #1 attack for condition thief is too weak to rely on and impaling is nerfed to the point where it really just used for cover conditions. Eat the impaling and avoid the DB and you generally come out winning even if you stay in close.

Sure. I'll give you p/d and pew pew ranger, but s/x and staff have to be competent. However, a thief can get a steady chain of maybe 4 DBs and Impalings (with trickery and good endurance regain) before they have to start resource managing. Yes, it works against people who don't understand the build but then again there are plenty of people in this game who have not had any experience with this specific build. This is because of its low popularity which is due to its low coverage/high stacking and its "cheesiness". I mean hell, up until a year ago I thought I was the only one who used it anywhere. Not saying its a great build, but it's worth trying for some non-p/d condition application.

@Zacchary.6183 said:

Sure. I'll give you p/d and pew pew ranger, but s/x and staff have to be competent. However, a thief can get a steady chain of maybe 4 DBs and Impalings (with trickery and good endurance regain) before they have to start resource managing. Yes, it works against people who don't understand the build but then again there are plenty of people in this game who have not had any experience with this specific build. This is because of its low popularity which is due to its low coverage/high stacking and its "cheesiness". I mean hell, up until a year ago I thought I was the only one who used it anywhere. Not saying its a great build, but it's worth trying for some non-p/d condition application.

I do not find it especially hard to fight a d/d build with a staff daredevil or s/x.

The thing with staff daredevil is they have near as many evades in their weapons as does the d/d build and those evades all result in cleanses. You can usually keep ahead of conditions apps via the Daredevil trait escapists absolution without having to resort to a regular cleanse. S/x is much the same . You do that port and and away and not only can you get out of range of the DB with relative ease but you get a free cleanse via #2.

You are quite correct that it works well against people who do not understand it. Even those that do can find it dangerous if their build lacking. As example my own verson of the build works very well against Warriors and Condition revenants.

@babazhook.6805 said:

I do not find it especially hard to fight a d/d build with a staff daredevil or s/x.

That's because you're competent. ;)

The thing with staff daredevil is they have near as many evades in their weapons as does the d/d build and those evades all result in cleanses. You can usually keep ahead of conditions apps via the Daredevil trait escapists absolution without having to resort to a regular cleanse. S/x is much the same . You do that port and and away and not only can you get out of range of the DB with relative ease but you get a free cleanse via #2.

You are quite correct that it works well against people who do not understand it. Even those that do can find it dangerous if their build lacking. As example my own verson of the build works very well against Warriors and Condition revenants.

Mind posting it? I haven't touched it since Deadeye.

This is one of two versions. Very robust but with damage output not as high as other condition versions but it more about long fights and wearing the enemy down.

It is the only build left that I use ACRO in.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PaFBgihjlZQFYdMKGJO2SXrcA-zRZYKhcDPK6JoOaDF4MiUK0rKQyr6pB-e

It a gimmick build but and condi build has problems with it and you can wear down a lot of the power builds. You pretty well flush conditions at will.

The other version is more traditional having no healing and focusing on how damage overall. While it can kill faster it also dies much faster.

Note I use the cleanse condition on evade food which does not show in the build editor. I used to use spider venom but now find the racial works much better . If the guy has no immob breaks you have a six second immob that adds two poison each pulse.

This an old link to the build. I have since tweaked slightly but you get the idea. Current condi damage base a bit higher and SB now offhand.

@"babazhook.6805" said:This is one of two versions. Very robust but with damage output not as high as other condition versions but it more about long fights and wearing the enemy down.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PaFBgihjlZQFYdMKGJO2SXrcA-zRZYKhcDPK6JoOaDF4MiUK0rKQyr6pB-e

It a gimmick build but and condi build has problems with it and you can wear down a lot of the power builds. You pretty well flush conditions at will.

The other version is more traditional having no healing and focusing on how damage overall. While it can kill faster it also dies much faster.

Note I use the cleanse condition on evade food which does not show in the build editor. I used to use spider venom but now find the racial works much better . If the guy has no immob breaks you have a six second immob that adds two poison each pulse.

This an old link to the build. I have since tweaked slightly but you get the idea. Current condi damage base a bit higher and SB now offhand.

I see you use SoM on it too. Probably the only time SoM is usable, especially when up against multiple opponents. I upgraded mine with DrD when it came out. The design is the same with a focus on damage and duration. The initial one was close to yours except I used Hard To Catch and Don't Stop when everyone was doing immob/stunlock bursts. This is as close to what I used pre HoT:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PaxAgiVlZw+YXsOGJO2S/rUA-zRIYb0xHGpZQXJ4vqnG-e

This is what I use now:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PagAgilZwcYXsPGJO2WpNNA-zVZYLRBuJSAzwCjiCINB8nF3XjA-w

I never built for a tanky one because I am the type I would rather time evades. :P

@Zacchary.6183 said:

@"babazhook.6805" said:This is one of two versions. Very robust but with damage output not as high as other condition versions but it more about long fights and wearing the enemy down.

I see you use SoM on it too. Probably the only time SoM is usable, especially when up against multiple opponents. I upgraded mine with DrD when it came out. The design is the same with a focus on damage and duration. The initial one was close to yours except I used Hard To Catch and Don't Stop when everyone was doing immob/stunlock bursts. This is as close to what I used pre HoT:

This is what I use now:

I never built for a tanky one because I am the type I would rather time evades. :P

Yeah my own build was very much designed to maximize SOM plus DB. With the assassins reward every DB is a 1400+ heal. Regen is also running pretty well all the time meaning 280 per second. Guarded Initiation kicks in a lot for added cleanses so it very hard to kill this thing with conditions. It a tank. I have often 1v 3ed guys in a camp and while not being able to finish downs , what very often happens is team mates show up given it takes the enemy a long time to kill you.

Your own build is more hybrid. I do have a hybrid thief that I had in d/d p/d for a spell then switched out to p/p p/d. I was finding that in d/d hybrid I was just not able to use the malicious backstab enough due to low stealth. Heartseeker was an alternative but it was just taking INI from the DB.