should they increase ascended weapon damage?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the stats that are that superb benefit of ascended but the ability to add infusions for fractals, to move the gear between characters (ascended is account-bound) and to swap stats with Mystic Toilet. And while full ascended is about 5% more stats than exotic, if you add in stat infusions (costs quite a bit, though), the difference get closer to 7-8%. Still not much and not really noticeable unless you're a hardcore raider with arcdps. So, if you want ascended for damage boost alone, it won't make much of a difference unless you master your class and optimize the build and you won't see the difference in open-world regardless. But if you want ascended for QoL and ability to do higher-tier fractals, it's well worth it and when you enter T4, it'll pay itself back in a couple weeks.

@"Roche.7491" said:Based from the opinions gathered, I think the best solution would be to adjust it to 10% per level up to ascended. The difference imbalance would only be the effort put into.

White to Blue - 10% increase (110%)Blue to Green - 10% increase (120%)Green to Rare - 10% increase (130%)Rare to Exotic - 10% increase (140%)Exotic to Ascended/Legendary - 10% increase (150% MAX)

Easier to understand and the bump is NOTICEABLE lol. I hardly feel the 5%, it's more like a 2% increase.

How have you concluded that "solution" supposedly "based form the opinions gathered", when pretty much everyone's opinion in this thread has been along the lines of its fine and no changes/adjustments are needed? And for what it's worth, I'm in agreement with everyone else, systems fine as it is.

@killermanjaro.5670 said:

@"Roche.7491" said:Based from the opinions gathered, I think the best solution would be to adjust it to 10% per level up to ascended. The difference imbalance would only be the effort put into.

White to Blue - 10% increase (110%)Blue to Green - 10% increase (120%)Green to Rare - 10% increase (130%)Rare to Exotic - 10% increase (140%)Exotic to Ascended/Legendary - 10% increase (150% MAX)

Easier to understand and the bump is NOTICEABLE lol. I hardly feel the 5%, it's more like a 2% increase.

How have you concluded that "solution" supposedly "based form the opinions gathered", when pretty much everyone's opinion in this thread has been along the lines of its fine and no changes/adjustments are needed? And for what it's worth, I'm in agreement with everyone else, systems fine as it is.

Agreed. How can there be a 'solution' when there's no 'problem' to apply it to?

@Roche.7491 said:Currently the hard work to get a full set of ascended does not equate to the tiny value it gives. Its like a piece of kitten for tons of hours and days

If you want to make the justification for increased damage/reduction due to the time, effort, and mats it takes to craft, talk about the difference between Ascended and Legendary items.

@Roche.7491 said:

@Roche.7491 said:Currently the hard work to get a full set of ascended does not equate to the tiny value it gives. Its like a piece of kitten for tons of hours and daysif you play GiuldWars2 you get ascended set without any pain. It is easy. More better think where find free salvage kit for that ascend

Already halfway farming bears. It’s just boring.

Farming bears? That's a thing?

@Elmo Benchwarmer.3025 said:No.

Ascended gear was a terrible idea in the first place. A simple and entirely optional PvE only inscription slot for the grind happy players would have been more than enough.

Before ascended gear was put as a rewards in ranked PvP and WvW nobody played it, the declining population made anet incentivize people with ascended rewards and this worked.

@Roche.7491 said:Imo in other mmos that 5% is 50% increase. 10% is generous. It’s like 1/10 more power rather than 1/20 times more power.

Why not make it 1% and it still worth it right? Lol 1/100

Lawlz Look at this stupid game! It doesn't have my preferred method of pointless time-gating! I'm gonna go play hello kitty island adventure instead!

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@Roche.7491 said:Imo in other mmos that 5% is 50% increase. 10% is generous. It’s like 1/10 more power rather than 1/20 times more power.

Why not make it 1% and it still worth it right? Lol 1/100

Lawlz Look at this stupid game! It doesn't have my preferred method of pointless time-gating! I'm gonna go play hello kitty island adventure instead!

Time gating is not original. They are trying to make it like other daily ios/android app. It’s stupid copying someone else's game plan.

They should stick to their original flavor gw1 and make it even better. Not switch to a territory not their own. Or follow a trend just because it’s a trend. They make their game CHEAP. Next time there will be SALE and ADS all over. It will be like the rest and the beauty will fade.

@Roche.7491 said:

@Bassdeff.1895 said:Ascended wasn't meant to have a whole lot of extra power. They were meant for the agony resistance infusions to progress through fractals. That is what they were originally designed for.

Ironically by the time you have the set, you are already done with fractals.

Which is yet another demonstration that Anet understands players sensitivity to locking content behind gear progression and grinding gear.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Bassdeff.1895 said:Ascended wasn't meant to have a whole lot of extra power. They were meant for the agony resistance infusions to progress through fractals. That is what they were originally designed for.

Ironically by the time you have the set, you are already done with fractals.

Which is yet another demonstration that Anet understands players sensitivity to locking content behind gear progression and grinding gear.

tbh i doubt that, if they cared about that they wouldnt have locked armor behind raids. But thats beside the point.

The majority of people in this game dont currently HAVE to obtain ascended armor. Its required for one thing and only higher tiers of that one thing. Its also insanely easy to get, without grind.

@Kulvar.1239 said:Exotic being easily available is made on purpose so new players are not tremendously behind veteran players. Not knowing how to play is enough of a handicap.If you think ascended is not worth the hassle, then don't bother with ascended gear ! If you're fine with staying in exotic, stay in exotic.

Not saying that new players need to be more behind than they already are.My point is, there are old players not having enough content to grind for (that makes them immediately stronger).

You need to look back at the history of it.Originally Legendary equipment was weapons the same stats as Exotic equipment but with an animated skin. Ascended equipment was introduced before the expansions and their elite professions. At this time Ascended gave experienced players something new to work for - new skins and a 5% or so stat boost. Legendary equipment was updated to the new higher stats. The system works just fine as it is:

• Normal play and levelling is White to Blue to Green to Yellow (rare) and then Exotic gear as you reach the top. This covers "everyday" casual play.
  • Ascended gear gave new skins, infusion slots, a small boost to stats, and was made Account Bound so you could move it between toons. This all adds up to quite a big change - and don't forget the infusions can add to the stats too!
  • Legendary gear is Ascended but with fancy skins and the ability to change stats without having to carry different armour. Skins and stat swapping both make enough of a difference to separate Legendary from Ascended. If Legendary equipment becomes shareable via templates then this will put it clearly above Ascended in terms of utility, and will finish the progression. Legendary equipment won't be BETTER than Ascended, but it will be more USEFUL and that's important enough.

Ascended equipment already has enough benefits to justify it's place in GW2 and it doesn't need a power boost..

@Ryo.5824 said:

@Kulvar.1239 said:Exotic being easily available is made on purpose so new players are not tremendously behind veteran players. Not knowing how to play is enough of a handicap.If you think ascended is not worth the hassle, then don't bother with ascended gear ! If you're fine with staying in exotic, stay in exotic.

Not saying that new players need to be more behind than they already are.My point is, there are old players not having enough content to grind for (that makes them immediately stronger).

Why should grind be rewarded with godlike strength ? You can already grind for build freedom (legendary), collections, achievements points, money, ...If really you have nothing to grind, it means you've completed the game.

@"Yuffi.2430" said:You need to look back at the history of it.Originally Legendary equipment was weapons the same stats as Exotic equipment but with an animated skin. Ascended equipment was introduced before the expansions and their elite professions. At this time Ascended gave experienced players something new to work for - new skins and a 5% or so stat boost. Legendary equipment was updated to the new higher stats. The system works just fine as it is:

• Normal play and levelling is White to Blue to Green to Yellow (rare) and then Exotic gear as you reach the top. This covers "everyday" casual play.
  • Ascended gear gave new skins, infusion slots, a small boost to stats, and was made Account Bound so you could move it between toons. This all adds up to quite a big change - and don't forget the infusions can add to the stats too!
  • Legendary gear is Ascended but with fancy skins and the ability to change stats without having to carry different armour. Skins and stat swapping both make enough of a difference to separate Legendary from Ascended. If Legendary equipment becomes shareable via templates then this will put it clearly above Ascended in terms of utility, and will finish the progression. Legendary equipment won't be BETTER than Ascended, but it will be more USEFUL and that's important enough.

Ascended equipment already has enough benefits to justify it's place in GW2 and it doesn't need a power boost..

Thanks for the history. So it seems ascended is mainly for fractals purposes.

@Roche.7491 said:Based from the opinions gathered, I think the best solution would be to adjust it to 10% per level up to ascended. The difference imbalance would only be the effort put into.

The best solution to this so-called problem (it really is not) is actually the opposite: to remove the stat bonus from ascended/legendary over exotics to emphasize it's a QoL change rather than stats outside of fractals (agony resistance). Blues/greens/yellow rares shouldn't even factor into the discussion , everyone that played for a short time should be able to afford exotic armor + weapons as well as ascended trinkets/back from Living Story. A full set of named exotic Berserker's stat armor (Zhed/Nika/Devona) is roughly 24 gold which is 12 days of dailies. Doing the War Eternal episode easily provides Diviner's stat armor from achievements.

Ascended has the advantage of being accountbound and stat swappable via mystic forge, legendary has on-demand stat swap and infusion/rune/sigil swap. The +5 stat infusions from WvW / fractals are already a minor step back from their original vision before GW2 launch where it was meant to be no-grind as far as stats , so skill>time played. At least in PvP everyone remains normalized to exotic PvP level.

A full set of exotics (including trinkets) has 91% effectiveness of ascended / legendary , with ~95% of the stat bonuses. As stated before , ascended has a 5% damage bonus on the weapon strength while armor itself is only 2% stat bonus. For example, the midpoint on an ascended sword is 1000 while the exotic is 952.5 and ascended Greatsword is 1,100 while on exotic it is 1,047.5.

See post by Yuffi.2430 on legendary items' evolution with time.

If you really love powercreep go look at the Chinese version of GW2 where they sell +18 power infusions. There's plenty of games where people need to grind to be remotely competitive (in PvE/PvP) so there's even people paying for internet cafe grind players to do it for them. As such, I am adamant against any gear powercreep, especially when it will make WvW balance worse.

@Kulvar.1239 said:

@Ryo.5824 said:

Why should grind be rewarded with godlike strength ? You can already grind for build freedom (legendary), collections, achievements points, money, ...If really you have nothing to grind, it means you've completed the game.

Just to play Devil's Advocate ... the answer to that is because GW2 supposed to be relatively casual(? maybe, can't cite a source from ANet). While the existing approach is actually a much more hardcore/elitist approach. With what we have now the only way you "improve" is by actually improving your personal abilities. For example is you are bad enough that you just stand in an AoE ticking 5k damage per second you will die in a few seconds. The only way to avoid that is to learn to stop doing that. However in a more grind based improvement system you can eventually get enough stat inflation where the 5k per tick damage offers very little danger. Attack that can one shot you? Eventually that will be barely a scratch. No need to learn anything. Just take it for granted that if things are currently too difficult for you then just play more and the game will become easier. IMO that would be an approach more appropriate for a casual game. It would also be good for a subscription based game as a means to encourage resubscribing.

To be clear I don't want that game but it is how I would approach it if I was designing a game for a casual audience assuming I realized it at the time and not several years after the game's release. :p