Returning Guardian looking for Gearing Help.

Aven.7295

Hello Guardians! I'm looking for some suggestions on gearing as i get back into the game. I am about to finish my Legendary Greatsword Sunrise after years of trying and my next project Im thinking will be a set of Ascended Armor. I'm looking for suggestions on what to build for a set. I'm looking for an all purpose set to run around with for a mix of survivabillity and damage.

Currently I am running Knight's armor with rune of the traveler. Full berzerker's jewlery. I run a DH greatsword set mostly. I only recently learned that toughness is getting me agro so i think i want to swap off of the Knights armor.

Right now I'm thinking of doing a Marauder's set of armor as my current build has a lot of natural built in crit. Have any other guardian's had success with it? I don't raid and our small guild mostly does openworld and low level fractals. its just a bunch of friends looking to have casual fun. I'm open to suggestions of other armor sets that might fit what im looking for. (though id prefer to keep the runes as i love the run speed.) thanks in advance and happy hunting fellow Guards.

Welcome back. You should go full berserker or full berserker with 1-2 valkyrie pieces. There is not really any objective reason to drop damage for anything in PvE. I personally use Fire Works runes. You get the 25% movement speed, 175 power, 15% boon duration, might, fury and vigor. It is so much better than traveler, but a bit expensive. And yes, nothing with toughness.

Overall for DH, the normal setup for anything PvE is DH/zeal/radiance with GS and either sword or scepter / focus. If I need survivability, I would not change gear, I would drop zeal for valor (and adjust utilities to take smite). If even more survivability is needed, I would use mace/shield in off hand. That is 3 blocks in ~20 sec range plus projectile blocking. This should get your through soloing even the toughest champions. Unless it is not the soloable type. In that case, just stick to full dps and group.

Im usually soloing, but i do find full berzerker to be a little squish at time. So I might do a couple pieces of Valk gear. I like that rune you posted! I'll certainly give that a try! I mostly do GS with Sword/Focus for my build. Occasionally longbow for Claw of jormag event but other than that my build seems to work most of the time. Honestly I have had great success so far but I want to make sure whatever i build for my Ascended armor is really what i need since it will take so long to make.

Alternatively you can run Scholar Runes for the extra Ferocity and run Soaring Devastation for the run speed when your Wings (F2) isn't on cooldown. Also turns it into a small AoE CC which is nice, and scholar runes are worth 225 Ferocity, nothing to sneeze at there. Or just live without the run speed, as in PvE you have mounts and gliding, and even where you don't, GS 3 and Sword 2 are great for mobility.

Scholar runes are just as, if not more expensive than fireworks runes though, and sadly the time to get fireworks runes cheaper passed a month or so ago with the Lunar Festival.

Depending how long you've been gone, you may not have been aware of the changes made to Righteous Instincts. (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Righteous_Instincts) It used to make hitting 100% crit cap dirt easy, but ANET hates fun things, and now it only gives you 25% crit when you have retaliation up - something to keep in mind as you make gearing choices.

I suggest Full berserker Gear, fully follow Dragon Hunter build for raid, then add a few minstrel trinklets for swapping on open world content.I also fully recommend Superior Rune of Scholar.

This way you can progressively work towards your 2nd preset as a heal brand, which is a powerful class for group/boss contents.

Besides able to swap or mix between these stats, you also gain access to raid and high level fractals along the way.

There's zero reason to run minstrel or knight's on a guardian in PvE unless you are tanking.If you need more survivability I'd recommend marauder pieces since you don't lose that much damage versus berserker's. It's also used in WvW for all power guardian builds that aren't healing firebrands.

Im sitting at a 57% crit chance with my current gear, and thats without traits. With them i can easily cap or get close to cap on crit. Im more looking for some additional survivabilty since there is only 4 of us and that's how weve been progressing fractals. I was thinking marauders to keep up the damage while gaining some extra health. Though i will probably be putting together a healbrand set for eventually healing my group. So far I haven't needed too because we have a druid. When we do run together i usually run quickbrand.

@Aven.7295 said:Im sitting at a 57% crit chance with my current gear, and thats without traits. With them i can easily cap or get close to cap on crit. Im more looking for some additional survivabilty since there is only 4 of us and that's how weve been progressing fractals. I was thinking marauders to keep up the damage while gaining some extra health. Though i will probably be putting together a healbrand set for eventually healing my group. So far I haven't needed too because we have a druid. When we do run together i usually run quickbrand.

Is that with fury and retaliation? Cuz i am almost certain it is not with knight.

In any case, assuming you run all the right traits, you should get 45% from fury and retaliation, and 10% from targets with burn from radiance. That is 55% (assuming 100% burn). You can then mix and match between berserker, Valkyrie and accuracy sigil, if you wanna go for higher HP pool. I personally think anything beyond 13k does not help you in PvE. But that is a personal preference. I would not use marauder at all. It is always a dps loss if you can maintain 100% retaliation with Valkyrie and berserker.

As I mentioned before, if I am in a situation that needs sustainability I would switch trait lines, not gear. It is cheaper and faster to do so. And maintain highest damage possible otherwise.

Btw, you probably already know this, but utilities to run in OW are not necessarily the same as in a group. In open world, you want to maintain 100% uptime of retaliation and fury. Mostly everything else in utilities, is secondary. I do not run Bane Signet at all in most PvE content.

i have 57% I have Knights armor, Traveler's runes. Berzerk weapons (Ascended GS and 1h sword.) Ascended Berserker rings, neck, back and exotic knights earings (Working on replacing these with ascended zerker ones.). Well technically its 50% and i get an additional 7% from the sigils. How do you go about maintaining Retaliation. I have decent uptime but definitely not 100%

My utilities are LoR, SoJ, PB, Save Yourselves and feel my wrath. I use Fire Works runes, as I mentioned earlier. I use food and utilities with boon duration. In addition to 100% retaliation and fury, I get about 50% on vigor, 25% on reg and protection. And might stacks vary between ~8 to 15. If you run no boon duration at all, you can use Stand Your Ground instead of PB.

• 2 weeks later...

@otto.5684 said:My utilities are LoR, SoJ, PB, Save Yourselves and feel my wrath. I use Fire Works runes, as I mentioned earlier. I use food and utilities with boon duration. In addition to 100% retaliation and fury, I get about 50% on vigor, 25% on reg and protection. And might stacks vary between ~8 to 15. If you run no boon duration at all, you can use Stand Your Ground instead of PB.

What LoR stands for?

• 1 month later...

I would swap the Knight's Gear for Berserk (if you like add some Marauder if you prefer having some more health but I do not think it is necessary and defenitely not all pieces; maybe 2 pieces might work.. )

The biggest issue with Knight's Armour is the toughness which triggers aggro on mobs more than without it. And with already the little health of Guardians this might be your problem with survivability because everyrhign will aggro on you. Change the toughness for full berserk (or the like) and you will have it much easier. Trust me I have gone that exact same way when i started. Guardians are not made for tanking, for that their base HP is too low.