Is there any lore behind WvW aka the Battle of the Mists?

Taylan.2187

Is there any lore-wise explanation of the "Battle of the Mists" i.e. WvW? In Rata Sum there's two NPCs, an Asura and a Charr, who try to recruit people for WvW, but talking to them doesn't reveal any explanation of what exactly it is or why it's happening. I guess there might be some in other cities too but I never saw them.

The same question might be asked for PvP I suppose, which also plays in the Mists.

Yes. Not much though.

TL;DR

• Three (or more) alternate Tyrias are fighting each other in the Mists. These Tyrias are not exact copies, however, major events and important roles always occur.
  • They're after resources to use in the fight against the Elder Dragons.
  • They don't seem to acknowledge the other Tyrias as Tyrias. Instead they view the enemies as "pure evil".
  • The maps, like the sPvP maps, are Fractals - this is why they reset over time.

Sources:

@cswiseass.7642 said:

Three (or more) alternate Tyrias are fighting each other in the Mists. These Tyrias are not exact copies, however, major events and important roles always occur.

So technically, each server could be considered a different reality in a multi-verse.

exactly. The big npcs like Logan, Queen J etc are even mirrored. But inconsequential goons like you are unique.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:if you run around open world, you are not commander either.

I think that depends on what part of open world? Meta events frequently contain dialogue where people recognize you as the Commander, no? There's also that weird thing where in a renown heart event in the Domain of Vabbi you tell a student how Mordremoth died by having its head impaled, i.e. telling the story of the open world meta event rather than the instanced version. Up until that point I had assumed that the meta event is not canon.

There's also that weird thing where in a renown heart event in the Domain of Vabbi you tell a student how Mordremoth died by having its head impaled, i.e. telling the story of the open world meta event rather than the instanced version. Up until that point I had assumed that the meta event is not canon.

That's cool, I must have missed that. I think I know the event you're referring to though. My head canon is that each map is a fixed point in time, repeated over and over. It kind of clicked for me with the jahai bluffs event where the charr and humans are locked in a repeated battle. This also fits with the idea of a multi-verse I think.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:if you run around open world, you are not commander either.

but if you talk to Elvie for example, she says that blood legion charrs love to come to the borderlands/ebg for the constant fights and glory.

This is only true until HoT. From HoT onward, open world you is the Commander - everyone else are just random adventurers, mercenaries, or soldiers.

In raids, though, it's a "left for you to interpret" same with whether the Commander partook in them or not - even though Squadleader Bennet will comment on the Commander rescuing him if you did Salvation Pass, but only mentions being rescued if you didn't.

@Taylan.2187 said:I think that depends on what part of open world? Meta events frequently contain dialogue where people recognize you as the Commander, no? There's also that weird thing where in a renown heart event in the Domain of Vabbi you tell a student how Mordremoth died by having its head impaled, i.e. telling the story of the open world meta event rather than the instanced version. Up until that point I had assumed that the meta event is not canon.The meta event was always canon. Lorewise, it takes place simultaneously to Hearts and Minds instance; while the lane clearing and taking down the Blighting Towers takes place during Bitter Harvest.

@"cswiseass.7642" said:That's cool, I must have missed that. I think I know the event you're referring to though. My head canon is that each map is a fixed point in time, repeated over and over. It kind of clicked for me with the jahai bluffs event where the charr and humans are locked in a repeated battle. This also fits with the idea of a multi-verse I think.

Maps are stuck in time, but this isn't in any way shape or form a part of lore. It's just a mechanical limitation imposed so that ANet can more thoroughly involve story in the open world maps - such as explaining why Laranthir is both in Verdant Brink and in Dragon's Stand at the "same time" (because Verdant Brink "takes place before" Dragon's Stand).

Jahai Bluffs is an entirely separate kind of beast, because not only is it mechanically stuck in time, but in lore that one portion has had fractals from the Mists which loop over constantly merged into the world due to Kralkatorrik's Mists messing. That's what the Vizier's Tower and other two regions next to it technically are - fractals. But usually fractals are just islands of existence floating in the Mists, and here it got merged into the world creating time warping shenanigans.

@Taylan.2187 said:

I think that depends on what part of open world? Meta events frequently contain dialogue where people recognize you as the Commander, no? There's also that weird thing where in a renown heart event in the Domain of Vabbi you tell a student how Mordremoth died by having its head impaled, i.e. telling the story of the open world meta event rather than the instanced version. Up until that point I had assumed that the meta event is not canon.

It's canon, however the commander is not noted to have played much if any role in the battle with the mouth.

There is dialogue in the event where a NPC will call out that you are there.

So basically the way I like to think of it is, all the pushing to get to the mouth happens in canon before the final mission.. and shortly after the mouth shows up the commander retreats from the fight and takes a small group to attack Mordy's mind.. the battle against Mordremoth then happens on two fronts, the pact fighting the physical mouth and the Commander and their allies attacking the mind.Both playing a vital role in destroying the dragon.

The whole Meta Event in Dragons Stand is basically a large military campaign to push into the Dragons territory, however it would have been a really bad thing if Anet had designed the map so that you had to push all the way to the Mouth of Mordremoth just to access the final story instance.People would have rightfully been annoyed by this, specially if they had to choose between story or completing the world boss they just spent all that time geting to.

Another thing to note as well is that during the development of this meta event, there was originally going to be a secondary phase after the Mouth had retreated up the Tree.It's quite possible had this actually been completed and put in the game that the Commander would have been in canon, present for the main battle with the mouth.. and after it had retreated up the tree.. that would have been the point where the Commander leaves to do the last story instance while the pact forces continued their assault on the mouth.