What meta do players want?

I want to start by talking about what makes a build a "meta-build". A build that gives a high reward for the least amount of risk/effort is what makes a build meta. In every single game, this is the situation. Although, most players will agree that this isn't a great experience and the strongest builds that can output the most damage or out sustain everything should be the hardest to play. A meta will be completely different compared to high ranked players vs low ranked players but the statement still stands.

In the current PvP climate, it just feels that conditions are too easily stacked, re-applied and overall overperforming. I do not want to offer suggestions on what to nerf as I think offering an opinion of a players experience is a much more valuable form of feedback for the developers. Condition spam is not fun to play against, at least for me.

Personally, I enjoy a power focused meta as the game plays at a much faster pace. Also, seeing an enemies healthbar go from 100% to 0% in a second from a well timed team burst is incredibly satisfying for me.

We will never achieve true balance as it is pretty much impossible, instead we should have regularly shifting metas to keep the game fresh (yes, regularly). What kind of meta do we as a community want right now?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not what makes meta. What makes meta is simply the classes/builds that currently perform the 4 job roles the best: "team fighter" "support" "+1 Decap Roamer" "Side Node Duelist"

I want a DPS meta to return. People asked for "DPS to be lowered", they do not ask for "DPS to be halved intra-class wide". The truth is that DPS metas are just more enjoyable than sustainy metas. There is so much more room for high skill ceiling and counter-play during DPS meta.

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:

1. That's not what makes meta. What makes meta is simply the classes/builds that currently perform the 4 job roles the best: "team fighter" "support" "+1 Decap Roamer" "Side Node Duelist"

That is exactly what I mean when I say high amount of reward for least effort put in. If a build is able to perform multiple roles with minimal effort then that of course is meta! If we managed to remove this problem and had strict role based builds then a healthier meta would appear. There will always be a meta, as players will always gravitate to the best builds, if you get what I mean. The trick is for it to be a healthy meta, where player skill can actually be showcased!

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:every type of play should be represented to some degree. having a meta be this or that is part of the reason the game chases away players and why metas stale out after a certain amount of time.

As I stated, achieving a balanced meta is near impossible in any game, especially in a MMORPG as developers can't please everyone. I think a meta that is ever changing is much more exciting. This may be the best we can hope for!

1. That's not what makes meta. What makes meta is simply the classes/builds that currently perform the 4 job roles the best: "team fighter" "support" "+1 Decap Roamer" "Side Node Duelist"I believe OP is partially correct. In my experience, a meta build is one that, yes, has high reward for comparatively low effort, but also has the most adaptability. For instance: a node dueler build that was otherwise GODLY wouldn't be meta if it had no means of escape when pressured by 2 or 3 players.

Imo, current meta is one of the more enjoyable metas i've been in. OHK burst+evade+invuln metas that we have had for years were frustrating. You had to swing heavily to either bunker or damage, nothing in between. Currently there is a definite balancing act between bunker and damage. While there are a few outliers that i would like to see tuned (nerf rev Infuse Light,nerf necro Eternal Life lifeforce gain, buff war/rampage), this meta is easily the most balanced between power, condi, and bunker we have ever had. As much as people complain about condi/bunker being strong, there are far more power builds at top teir than condi or bunker.

@"Broady.2358" said:I want to start by talking about what makes a build a "meta-build". A build that gives a high reward for the least amount of risk/effort is what makes a build meta. In every single game, this is the situation. Although, most players will agree that this isn't a great experience and the strongest builds that can output the most damage or out sustain everything should be the hardest to play. A meta will be completely different compared to high ranked players vs low ranked players but the statement still stands.

In the current PvP climate, it just feels that conditions are too easily stacked, re-applied and overall overperforming. I do not want to offer suggestions on what to nerf as I think offering an opinion of a players experience is a much more valuable form of feedback for the developers. Condition spam is not fun to play against, at least for me.

Personally, I enjoy a power focused meta as the game plays at a much faster pace. Also, seeing an enemies healthbar go from 100% to 0% in a second from a well timed team burst is incredibly satisfying for me.

We will never achieve true balance as it is pretty much impossible, instead we should have regularly shifting metas to keep the game fresh (yes, regularly). What kind of meta do we as a community want right now?

If I take away all stealth and teleports from you...I am sure you'd have not so much fun playing a "100 to 0" power build, if I take away all safeguards from this game...I am 100% sure that people would be much less "power burst" loving

1. That's not what makes meta. What makes meta is simply the classes/builds that currently perform the 4 job roles the best: "team fighter" "support" "+1 Decap Roamer" "Side Node Duelist"
  2. I want a DPS meta to return. People asked for "DPS to be lowered", they do not ask for "DPS to be halved intra-class wide". The truth is that DPS metas are just more enjoyable than sustainy metas. There is so much more room for high skill ceiling and counter-play during DPS meta.

I want a DPS meta where everybody plays a zerker core ele...no stealth...no 1500 pewpew.....no pet....no clones....no teleports.....no chain blocks etc etc....let's see how many would love "DPS meta" in that case.

I call it BS when people say to love DPS meta when playing a class with several in built defense mechanisms, I'd take all these people ..put them into an arena and force them to play core zerk FA ele.

-A mesmer-thief-ranger main : " I love DPS meta"....yeah great kitten effort in saying that

If I take away all stealth and teleports from you...I am sure you'd have not so much fun playing a "100 to 0" power build, if I take away all safeguards from this game...I am 100% sure that people would be much less "power burst" loving

I think you mis-read slightly. I said I like seeing an enemies healthbar go from 100% to 0% in a second from a well timed team burst. I don't think any class should be able to one-shot :)

Yes, I play Thief and I think the current D/P build is in a good place and doesn't need any buffs or nerfs. Condi-Thief on the other hand needs looked at, but thats a different topic in its own right.

My thread is only to create a discussion on what meta people would like to see along with my reasons for not enjoying the current condi-meta.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

2. I want a DPS meta to return. People asked for "DPS to be lowered", they do not ask for "DPS to be halved intra-class wide". The truth is that DPS metas are just more enjoyable than sustainy metas. There is so much more room for high skill ceiling and counter-play during DPS meta.

I want a DPS meta where everybody plays a zerker core ele...no stealth...no 1500 pewpew.....no pet....no clones....no teleports.....no chain blocks etc etc....let's see how many would love "DPS meta" in that case.

I call it BS when people say to love DPS meta when playing a class with several in built defense mechanisms, I'd take all these people ..put them into an arena and force them to play core zerk FA ele.

-A mesmer-thief-ranger main : " I love DPS meta"....yeah great kitten effort in saying that

But fresh air ele does have defenses... 2 invulns, mad projectile hate, ample amount of cc, and a teleport that is comparable to blink, instacast but not technically a stunbreak. Dont get me wrong you are squishy as fuck, but I'd argue that damage to survivability it is comparable to burst mes. At the end of the day if your smart about positioning and matchups it is very playable.

@myboybuzzy.5809 said:

But fresh air ele does have defenses... 2 invulns, mad projectile hate, ample amount of cc, and a teleport that is comparable to blink, instacast but not technically a stunbreak. Dont get me wrong you are squishy as kitten, but I'd argue that damage to survivability it is comparable to burst mes. At the end of the day if your smart about positioning and matchups it is very playable.

FA against 2 teleporting builds is literally food, any combination of rev mesmer and thief makes your game borderline impossible

All of them, and none of them. The issue is that "players" are not a single homogenous group. But if we go by tendency, seems more people tend to prefer power metas with lower sustain (aka not bunker metas). Probably comes down to bunker metas being a slog, and condition builds having a tendency of being binary and boring to play as or against as a result.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

I know that anything that isnt ranger is a big mystery to you, but you do know Elementalist has teleports, blocks and channeled invulns, right?

Every class has several built in defense mechanisms. Ele does too, as seen above.

I get why thief, youre obsessed with that class, and Mesmer is close enough to thief, but why would a ranger lover mention ranger here?

@UNOwen.7132 said:

I know that anything that isnt ranger is a big mystery to you, but you do know Elementalist has teleports, blocks and channeled invulns, right?

Every
class has several built in defense mechanisms. Ele does too, as seen above.

I get why thief, youre obsessed with that class, and Mesmer is close enough to thief, but why would a ranger lover mention ranger here?

You can keep repeating this ranger mantra for as long as you wish...it won't make it that much more truthful and neither I do care about it, you just ridicule yourself every time you repeat it and now you trying to lecture me on ele....truly puts the cherry on the cake...as others pointed out already.....you are really clueless

@Arheundel.6451 said:

Every

You can keep repeating this ranger mantra for as long as you wish...it won't make it that much more truthful and neither I do care about it,
you just ridicule yourself
every time you repeat it and now you trying to lecture me on ele....truly puts the cherry on the cake...as others pointed out already.....you are really clueless

I mean it cant be any more truthful than the absolute truth, so yes, it wont become more truthful by default. And given that you just made a grave error about Ele, yeah of course Im lecturing you about it. I know Ele well enough at least to not say something as wrong as "Ele has no defense mechanisms". You are the one who is clueless. There is a reason you got compared with Burnfall.

@myboybuzzy.5809 said:

But fresh air ele does have defenses... 2 invulns, mad projectile hate, ample amount of cc, and a teleport that is comparable to blink, instacast but not technically a stunbreak. Dont get me wrong you are squishy as kitten, but I'd argue that damage to survivability it is comparable to burst mes. At the end of the day if your smart about positioning and matchups it is very playable.

If any of that would hold a candle...FA ele would have been listed at least as good on metabattle since launch and the last guy who tried FA ele in GW2 pvp was one NA guy ( forgot his name, was a well known ele ) against Team Paradigm ( where @Phantaram.1265 used to play) during a tournie in 2013....enough to say, he got farmed so hard..nobody ever tried to run a FA ele during a real PvP match since then.

The major issues of FA ele are and always been : 900 range burst and target requirement making the build an easy pick for stealth specs and 1200 teleport burst , the dmg to survivability is not even close to a core mesmer shatter...at least not more, it was somehow possible before to outskill a core mesmer...before the nerfs that made FA ele even worst than the worst spec status it was before

@Arheundel.6451 said:

If any of that would hold a candle...FA ele would have been listed at least as good on metabattle since launch and the last guy who tried FA ele in GW2 pvp was one NA guy ( forgot his name, was a well known ele ) against Team Paradigm ( where @Phantaram.1265 used to play) during a tournie in 2013....enough to say, he got farmed so hard..nobody ever tried to run a FA ele during a real PvP match since then.

FA Ele has been good multiple times during GW2s lifespan. But usually it was outshined by Cele Ele, which still had high DPS, but also endless survivability. I guess you forgot about that, huh?

The major issues of FA ele are and always been : 900 range burst and target requirement making the build an easy pick for stealth specs and 1200 teleport burst , the dmg to survivability is not even close to a core mesmer shatter...at least not more, it was somehow possible before to outskill a core mesmer...before the nerfs that made FA ele even worst than the worst spec status it was before

Nope. Pretty much all of those are hilariously wrong. The major issue FA Ele had for most of GW2s lifespan is just that it was outclassed by Cele Ele. Why go full glass full damage, if you can go tanky as hell and still have high damage? This only really stopped being true with PoF, where even that form of Ele was outclassed by things like Holo.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

Every

You can keep repeating this ranger mantra for as long as you wish...it won't make it that much more truthful and neither I do care about it,
every time you repeat it and now you trying to lecture me on ele....truly puts the cherry on the cake...as others pointed out already.....you are really clueless

I mean it cant be any more truthful than the absolute truth, so yes, it wont become more truthful by default. And given that you just made a grave error about Ele, yeah of course Im lecturing you about it. I know Ele well enough at least to not say something as wrong as "Ele has no defense mechanisms".
You
are the one who is clueless. There is a reason you got compared with Burnfall.

...I am laughing so hard now...you really have no idea.....

VlLIRFe.jpg

Got extended screenshots but again...I keep putting myself on display for everybody ...I'd like to see you, other than a forum warrior ...there is nothing to prove you know what you are on about

@UNOwen.7132 said:

FA Ele has been good multiple times during GW2s lifespan. But usually it was outshined by Cele Ele, which still had high DPS, but also endless survivability. I guess you forgot about that, huh?

Nope. Pretty much all of those are hilariously wrong. The major issue FA Ele had for most of GW2s lifespan is just that it was outclassed by Cele Ele. Why go full glass full damage, if you can go tanky as hell and still have high damage? This only really stopped being true with PoF, where even that form of Ele was outclassed by things like Holo.

Please stop embarrassing yourself any further......I need to stop before I fell off my chair..laughing

@Arheundel.6451 said:

Every

I mean it cant be any more truthful than the absolute truth, so yes, it wont become more truthful by default. And given that you just made a grave error about Ele, yeah of course Im lecturing you about it. I know Ele well enough at least to not say something as wrong as "Ele has no defense mechanisms".
You

VlLIRFe.jpg

Got extended screenshots but again...I keep putting myself on display for everybody ...I'd like to see you, other than a forum warrior ...there is nothing to prove you know what you are on about

Well, at least you learned from last time when people laughed at you when you posted a screenshot of you having other classes as proof that you multiclassed. That being said, how do I know this is you? Besides, argumentum ab auctoritatem. If you have to rely on who you are (assuming that is you) instead of using actual arguments, that points to you not having arguments.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

Please stop embarrassing yourself any further......I need to stop before I fell off my chair..laughing

The only one embarassing themselves is you, after being pointed out to be entirely wrong and attempting to deflect it with someone nonsense. Perhaps it would be better if you stop before you get laughed at like the last time where you posted that screenshot of you having other classes. Besides, people know by now just how extensive your bias is, and how much it influences your every action. Hating a tool thief doesnt even use, not wanting warrior to be buffed when its undeniably severely underperforming. As I said, you got compared with burnfall for a reason.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

Every

You

VlLIRFe.jpg

Well, at least you learned from last time when people laughed at you when you posted a screenshot of you having other classes as proof that you multiclassed. That being said, how do I know this is you? Besides, argumentum ab auctoritatem. If you have to rely on who you are (assuming that
is
you) instead of using actual arguments, that points to you not having arguments.

So in the end...you just talk gibberish, you have been disqualified by me on numerous occasions and now out of respect for myself...I will ask you please to stop picking on my comments....I may as well talk about balance with "Tom" over there farming wood in Queensdale...same level of knowledge...so pls

@Arheundel.6451 said:

Every

You

VlLIRFe.jpg

Well, at least you learned from last time when people laughed at you when you posted a screenshot of you having other classes as proof that you multiclassed. That being said, how do I know this is you? Besides, argumentum ab auctoritatem. If you have to rely on who you are (assuming that
is
you) instead of using actual arguments, that points to you not having arguments.

So in the end...you just talk gibberish, you have been disqualified by me on numerous occasions and now out of respect for myself...
I will ask you please to stop picking on my comments
....I may as well talk about balance with "Tom" over there farming wood in Queensdale...same level of knowledge...so pls

Nah. You just got hit by a rebuttal, and you lacked an answer of your own. You try to just handwave my rebuttal, but sadly that fails. You have never disqualified anyone. Of course not. It was you who got laughed out as a highly biased, unreliable and ultimately clueless guy whose opinions on any class are so drenched in bias they have no merit whatsoever. You are the one lacking in any balance knowledge, as evident by you complaining about in-combat stealth, and thinking that Warrior shouldnt be buffed right now despite severely underperforming. You will keep making the same uninformed incorrect statements that are based entirely on bias. I will keep correcting them. The only way that stops is if you start fixing your own bias.