• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there ever going to be a native macOS client that does not use WINE to run the game? I'm finding that I have to run on the lowest graphics setting just to keep the game from crashing. My Mac can more than handle the higher settings for the graphics, but it seems the Windows environment translator can't handle the demand.

@HippieJoel.9537 said:

@argyler.2503 said:With macOS High Sierra (10.13) coming out on Sept. 25th, I was curious, has the 64-bit client been tested with the new OS version?

In fairness, even if it hasn't I'd still be reasonably confident that it should work without any major issues. The biggest changes on a technical level are the introduction of the APFS filesystem (which is a bit more low level than what should affect Guild Wars 2) and Metal 2 (but Guild Wars 2 uses OpenGL).

That said, my understanding is that the beta of High Sierra is available to those who want it so I'm sure there's someone here who has tested with it and can confirm whether or not we can expect anything to break.

That's a good point, yeah! =)

@Lambo.5364 said:

@argyler.2503 said:With macOS High Sierra (10.13) coming out on Sept. 25th, I was curious, has the 64-bit client been tested with the new OS version?

I have been running it since 10.13 beta 1 and it's been fine. It still had the keyboard issue, but that was fixed.

Awesome, that's good to know! Thanks =)

Hello, I was excited to hear about the new 64-bit Mac client and decided to start playing again, but I found that the game kept crashing about every 20-25 minutes due to trouble loading things and a memory crash or something like that. I later found that the support page said that there are different hardware requirements for the 64-bit client. I have the system requirements, but my laptop is too out of date to play the 64-bit version. Is the hardware requirement definitive, and it won't eventually be playable on the hardware on the 32-bit version? Also, if so, can the GW2 pages definitively state this? On the account page where you can download the client, it links to the system requirements for the Mac version, but it should also feature the hardware requirements as well. And if that's the case is the 32-bit version downloadable anywhere? I'm kind of disheartened that the game I just got back into turned out to be something I can't actually play anymore.

32-bit VersioniMac 21.5", 27" (Mid-2010)iMac 21.5", 27" (Mid-2011)MacBook Pro 15", 17" (Mid-2010)MacBook Pro 13", 15", 17" (Early and Late-2011)MacBook Pro 13", 15", 17" (Mid-2012)Mac Mini (Mid-2011)

64-bit VersioniMac 21.5", 27" (Late 2013)MacBook Pro 13", 15" (Late 2013)Mac Pro (Late 2013)Mac Mini (Late 2014)

Performance observation:

I've noticed that that the biggest performance hit is on high-population maps such as Mistlock or Lion's Arch. However, changing the Character Model Limit and Character Model Quality between Low/Medium/High does little to affect performance with only a 1-2 FPS change. Now, this makes perfect sense as even the invisible characters are interacting with the environment and thus affect me.

However, even if the invisible characters are just standing around, even if they are out of sight I still experience the hit. As soon as the population drops (visible pop remains the same, invisible decreases) performance improves.

Sincerest thanks for the native client, ANet! It's truly wonderful that resources have been dedicated to this.

macOS: High Sierra GM (10.13, 17A362a)hw: MacBook Pro, 15-inch (2017)proc: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7mem: 16 GBgfx: Intel HD 630 1536MB

Performance-wise, the 64-bit client is worse than the 32-bit client. I have both clients installed, and I achieve barely 15FPS with the 64-bit client. In contrast, I get avg. 42FPS on the 32-bit client (in busier areas, it's almost always near 30FPS).

I usually need to play on the 32-bit client, even if loading maps (et. al.) takes longer.

@Necromus.9276 said:Is there ever going to be a native macOS client that does not use WINE to run the game? I'm finding that I have to run on the lowest graphics setting just to keep the game from crashing. My Mac can more than handle the higher settings for the graphics, but it seems the Windows environment translator can't handle the demand.

The 64-bit client does not use WINE. It is a native Mac client. The low performance is a combination of things, namely the fact that the Mac client still has issues that are actively being investigated and the fact that OpenGL unfortunately has less than stellar performance on macOS. Metal in theory could improve performance a fair bit (particularly where shader compilation is a factor) but it would involve pretty much rewriting the entire renderer which I can't imagine ArenaNet are in any rush to do because it'd be a huge amount of work.

Be patient - it will improve.

@Xstein.2187 said:So, I'm kinda confused. If the 64 bit client isn't up to par by the time of PoF, will we still be able to re download the 32 bit client to use with PoF?

The answer is most likely no and as I understand it people running Windows won't be able to play Guild Wars 2 using the 32-bit client either, as PoF requires more memory than a 32-bit client could address due to the improved graphics in the PoF zones. Regardless I think it's unlikely that the Cider based client would perform particularly well in the PoF zones anyway.

@Killer Rhino.6794 said:Performance-wise, the 64-bit client is worse than the 32-bit client. I have both clients installed, and I achieve barely 15FPS with the 64-bit client. In contrast, I get avg. 42FPS on the 32-bit client (in busier areas, it's almost always near 30FPS).

I suspect that these issues are at least in part down to the disk IO issue that is currently present in the 64-bit client and which ArenaNet are investigating. There's a good chance that once this is resolved it will improve dramatically. I suspect this in part because, in my desktop and my MacBook Pro (both of which have SSDs) the performance is quite a lot better than what you describe.

frequently my cursor will disappear and my camera get stuck in free camera mode. sometimes i'm able to get out of it by two-finger (right) clicking and/or escape key + two-finger click but it seems random, other times not. it might coincide with using the control key? very frustrating.

in a different issue, the behavior of the caps lock key is different between cider version and beta 64bit. i assign my free camera to it. in cider version it requires a single key press to toggle. in new client the state of capslock determines the toggle (therefore sometimes a double keypress). is this intended or will it be adjusted to match the old client?

2016 macbook pro 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

My only two complaints so far on the 64bit client are what I would call 'chugging' and generally low fps. I've not had any keyboard issues or issues with textures / map loading.

The chugging is what I feels like a wading through mud every 5-10 seconds. Everything lags a bit then returns to normal, this happens constantly.

FPS is just low at about 15fps in unpopulated areas. I'm not running max settings, medium to good. Ambient Occ is turned off.

Mac Pro (2010) dual 2.93Ghz six core Xeons (170% cpu usage while gaming)48GB ramnvidia GTX 680 (2GB)SSD game drive<100ms ping10.12.6 Clean install.

RB0Hc3a.jpg32 bit imageNpMRvFb.png64 bit image

Still having trouble with coloring and texture after I completely deleted gw2 and re downloaded the 64 bit client from scratch. I am also still using native resolution as others have recommended. Did everything I could in the graphics options to try to make it look better, but nothing will work.

Pardon my frustration, but I believe when they say next time they are going to release an expansion when it is ready, the definition of "ready" should include balancing/elite specs and new clients that are being forced upon us as well. If there is no way to fix the coloring/texture issues I have, I would at least want the option to download and use the 32 bit client for the expansion. I posted this problem in the old forums about a month ago. I got no reply that fixed this problem, no reply from a dev, and the problem still persists when there is only six days until the expansion.

I've been playing on the 64b client the past couple of weeks and the performance is definitely not what I'd like; although it's not quite unplayable, in order to have a decent FPS I have to play on minimum settings, and even then it peaks around 30 and is usually around 20 or lower. That being said, I've never had the game crash, so stability issues seem to be fixed, which is good of course :)

Would definitely love to be able to play on decent graphics settings or at least get better FPS at minimum.

I'm on a mid-2015 15" MBP: 2.8 i7, 16 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M370X

First and foremost, thank you for all the hard work! Really looking forward to migrating to the new client. I've tried it briefly, and while the general performance isn't quite on par with the old client yet, maps seem to load a lot faster.

The main reason I'm still sticking with 32 bit client is that a) the UI of the new client is huge even on the smallest setting (a completed heart task pop-up fills up the entire screen, for example) and b) the new client doesn't seem to recognize some keys of a Finnish keyboard at all. I know this stuff won't probably affect the majority of users, but it would be great to see them fixed.

I'm using late 2013 13-inch MacBook Pro.

Command line arguments (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments) don't work for me. How do I use them? On windows i basically used "-email XX -password YY -nopatchui" to manage multiple accounts. On mac "-email xxx -password yyy" do not seem to work at all. "-autologin" works if I entered email and password before. "-nopatchui" starts without launcher but nothing happens besides a black screen.

The Boot Camp report:Installed Boot Camp yesterday, using a Windows 10 Home ISO. Difference is night and day.

On the Mac side of the partition it's a slide show, even with everything on the lowest possible graphics settings.On the Windows side of the partition, it's smooth as butter with everything on medium and almost everything turned on.

So, yeah.

Hello. I am a Korean person.It seems simple, but there is a very big problem to me.

Language toggle is not available. (I know it was even before new-64 bit)

I tried changing the toggle language in "Options" under "Key settings", but that does not seem to work.If I try to speak in my native language (to native country players)I typed in my native language in Notepad and I use "command + c" - "command + v" to chat in GW2.This is very uncomfortable, and the time to communicate is getting smaller and lonely.

For reference,

• I was able to toggle languages on macOS with "caps lock" or "control + space".
  • "Windows 7" and boot camp based "Windows 10" did not have this problem.

macOS Sierra 10.12.6iMac Late 2015Region code: [KR]

@LeonLannister.9754 said:Hello, I was excited to hear about the new 64-bit Mac client and decided to start playing again, but I found that the game kept crashing about every 20-25 minutes due to trouble loading things and a memory crash or something like that. I later found that the support page said that there are different hardware requirements for the 64-bit client. I have the system requirements, but my laptop is too out of date to play the 64-bit version. Is the hardware requirement definitive, and it won't eventually be playable on the hardware on the 32-bit version? Also, if so, can the GW2 pages definitively state this? On the account page where you can download the client, it links to the system requirements for the Mac version, but it should also feature the hardware requirements as well. And if that's the case is the 32-bit version downloadable anywhere? I'm kind of disheartened that the game I just got back into turned out to be something I can't actually play anymore.

I have the exact same problem, I was playing on 32 bit client but after I sent my macbook to service and lost the 32-bit client and the 64-bit client keeps crashing every 20-30 minutes to me, is there a way to download again the 32 bit client?