Why play any other support but Scrapper?

aaron.7850

I've been playing engi in WvW since the game started and I've loved the roles that Scrapper now plays (and the now seeming rebirth of kit and core engi!). As others have mentioned, Scrapper has some key weak points - name that it does not have a lot of shared stability, and if you're set up for the optimal support build you yourself have a lot less access to stability! It is quite easy to lock down a support Scrapper if they're caught too far from the stack!

Scrapper itself is one of those classes thats thrives and does remarkably well at it's job when the other team is playing specific builds or doing something else wrong. For instance, playing a scrapper against a pug raid with burn guardians is great - it means Aegis spam for yourself and your group! The last time I ran arcDPS in WvW as a support scrapper (which was some time ago) the largest contribution to healing didn't come from the heal kit spam but from regen spam and medical dispersion field. Furthermore, the heal kit spam works BEST only when partied with other boon-generators.

I think support Scrapper is honestly in a great situation. It thrives when combo'ed with other roles, doesn't outshine them solo and has some clear disadvantages for countering. Many scrappers I've seen in raids often came from other professions and haven't yet figured out all the field combinations the scrapper can self-generate, so it's a profession/role that can be picked up and improved upon over time without pain (particularly with light fields - but you can do a lot with Mortar fields if you're feel frisky and don't need the stealth).

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:why does everyone mention aegis as if its relevant? it blocks one attack lol, and isn't a stackable boon.

In a general sense, blocking an attack is equivalent to gaining a heal.

Everything in the game can be broken down into three fundamental constituents: Damage, Healing and a third that i won't talk about here.

If you use Skill A to hit me for 10,000 damage, and I heal myself using Skill B for 6000 Healing, Than I did 6000 healing, and you only did 4000 damage.

If you use Skill A to hit me for 10,000 damage, and i use Aegis to block an attack, Than i preventatively "heal" myself for 10,000. So i did 10,000 healing, and you only did 0 damage.

The higher amplitude, and less frequent these attacks, the more impact Aegis makes on a fight, in the form of "preventative healing." The same logic is used for determining the usefulness of %damage reduction abilities like Protection, Frost Aura and %reduction food. If your aegis targets 5 people, and you prevented 500/1000/5000/6000/10000 damage attacks, then that Aegis application applied a "preventative" 22,500 healing.

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:why does everyone mention aegis as if its relevant? it blocks one attack lol, and isn't a stackable boon.

Everything in the game can be broken down into three fundamental constituents: Damage, Healing and a third that i won't talk about here.

If you use Skill A to hit me for 10,000 damage, and I heal myself using Skill B for 6000 Healing, Than I did 6000 healing, and you only did 4000 damage.

If you use Skill A to hit me for 10,000 damage, and i use Aegis to block an attack, Than i preventatively "heal" myself for 10,000. So i did 10,000 healing, and you only did 0 damage.

The higher amplitude, and less frequent these attacks, the more impact Aegis makes on a fight, in the form of "preventative healing." The same logic is used for determining the usefulness of %damage reduction abilities like Protection, Frost Aura and %reduction food. If your aegis targets 5 people, and you prevented 500/1000/5000/6000/10000 damage attacks, then that Aegis application applied a "preventative" 22,500 healing.

how many times does aegis block a 10k attack? its useless.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:why does everyone mention aegis as if its relevant? it blocks one attack lol, and isn't a stackable boon.

It's non-quantifiable, but you can give a rather nice estimate as to how much damage you can hope to negate with Aegis procs by looking at combat logs.

Take some arbitrary time frame from an engagement and have a look at your combat log, and just look over the individual packets of damage. Count them up, and find the average. So if you were taking 10k damage here, 1k damage there, 3k damage here, 400 damage there...you add those packets and divide by the number and find an average amount.

This is basically the same as just looking at incoming damage in ARCDPS. Take that number, divide by the time of the engagement and you find the average DPS you were taking in a fight. That number is basically on average the amount of damage you will block with an aegis at any given moment. So if i on average take 2k damage per second, than an aegis proc i put out would on average, preventativly heal for 2k(x5 targets) for a 10k heal. It's not a huge number, but it's not negligible either since is a boon that can be applied with no ICD. So the potential is very very big for things like Aegis and Protection, and % damage reduction modifiers that make them important.

Yes one Aegis only block once. But if timed correctly, a FB can spam up to 6 Aegis (depending on the utility skills and weapons you use) and that's 6 consecutive blocks for you. Block is not heal, blocking is better than healing or cleansing. This is why FB is a must in the commander's squad or if possible, in every squad. Not Scrapper.

@Mil.3562 said:Yes one Aegis only block once. But if timed correctly, a FB can spam up to 6 Aegis (depending on the utility skills and weapons you use) and that's 6 consecutive blocks for you. Block is not heal, blocking is better than healing or cleansing. This is why FB is a must in the commander's squad or if possible, in every squad. Not Scrapper.

ehh, no. Block is not better than healing. Block is healing, in the form of preventative healing.

The reason everyone wants an FB in the party is because of stability. Everything else is just a function of their build. Aegis is applied more fruitfully by Scrappers because of Purity of Purpose converting Burns anyway.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:why does everyone mention aegis as if its relevant? it blocks one attack lol, and isn't a stackable boon.

Really? I must have imagined all those times my CoR said 'Blocked' when it runs into a group. Aegis is great for blocking spike damage or key skills, like any other form of damage mitigation.

@CutesySylveon.8290 said:

Really? I must have imagined all those times my CoR said 'Blocked' when it runs into a group. Aegis is great for blocking spike damage or key skills, like any other form of damage mitigation.

Imagine if aegis stacked....fml.

D:

@GDchiaScrub.3241 said:

D:Please no, we don't need more reasons to bring guardian to WvW...

Yes but you could stack up a massive....SHATTER AEGIS BOMB!

D:

@"aaron.7850" said:Playing Scrapper has ruined other healers for me.Finally leveled an engineer and decided to try scrapper, the learning curve was very easy compared to Firebrand or druid, I tested it all day long in wvw and I couldnt believe what I was experiencing.Gargantuan amounts of healing, gargantuan amount of cleansing, gargantuan amount of utility... I just dont see the point of playing my other healers now, maybe except Firebrand but even then Scrapper is easier to play.For a class that is supposed to be "jack of all trades", medikit scrapper is more like "master of all trades".

I am not calling for a nerf to scrapper, if anything, please buff Ventari Revs and Druids so they can provide more to the fight.

Lets not bring even more stupid healing and support to the wvw blobs, it is already boring as it is now.

@GDchiaScrub.3241 said:

D:

But that just means...more SCOURGES!!!

@CutesySylveon.8290 said:Really? I must have imagined all those times my CoR said 'Blocked' when it runs into a group. Aegis is great for blocking spike damage or key skills, like any other form of damage mitigation.

you didn't imagine all the times you got actual damage numbers, but yeah go ahead and cherry pick I already knew people would.

D:

If a scourge strips 25 stacks of aegis that would still be a HUGE shattered aegis!

D:

@Mil.3562 said:Yes one Aegis only block once. But if timed correctly, a FB can spam up to 6 Aegis (depending on the utility skills and weapons you use) and that's 6 consecutive blocks for you. Block is not heal, blocking is better than healing or cleansing. This is why FB is a must in the commander's squad or if possible, in every squad. Not Scrapper.

ehh, no. Block is not better than healing. Block is healing, in the form of preventative healing.

The reason everyone wants an FB in the party is because of stability. Everything else is just a function of their build. Aegis is applied more fruitfully by Scrappers because of Purity of Purpose converting Burns anyway.

When you block an attack, those incoming heals and cleanses will spill out of your squad and give to those who is next in line and need them. It is better than healing. I did not bring in Stability just for the purpose of focusing on Aegis. I did mentioned in a few threads before that FB's main role in a zerg is to give Aegis and Stability, among other boons. Don't forget FB has two skills that convert condis to boons too. And Purity of Purpose only good with condi attacks, Aegis blocks attacks of any kind.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:till, fb sucks at cleansing compared to scrapper or tempest - so why do people bring it up all the time?

An dto be honest, a party in a squad without a fb but with a scrapper or tempest can survive just fine. But a party with only a fb is always in trouble. Just an observation.

Well both is ideal and you want more than 1 support per 5 player subgroup anyway but stability is so important. The foundation of blobfighting is everyone in squad having complete and unconditional freedom of movement so everyone can move as one and everyone can stay in boon support/cleanse range of each other.

If you don't have enough stability it just becomes a mess where people get knocked around and stunned. People get separated, fall behind and cant be helped, thus becoming rally bots. You can get separated when moving at different speeds, which is the case if some of your teammates get crippled or chilled but those can be cleansed as long as you are in range of your supports.

I've played tempest in squads that desperately lacked stability and its so easy to get hard CCed to the point of being useless. When your group wide stability uptime isn't being tested then sure, you can run wild with second supports.

Love these discussions. It shows which players actually understand the meta and classes, and which clearly don't.

Every time people ask about why Firebrand is required/demanded/desired as first support option, while talking about healing and/or cleansing, you know that person is clueless. Firebrand is taken for stability. Always has been. The fact it provides optional mediocre support in all other areas is just icing.

Currently, 3 main supports are in the EU meta:

• Firebrand, as backbone of each composition with a swiss knife availability of support and as main stability machine.
  • Heal Scrapper as primary cleanse/convert and heal support with again some utility skills (Sneak Gyro for mass stealth, Hammer 5 for ranged aoe stun, etc.)
  • Auramancer as primary cleanser, long range crowd control in form of immobs, and aura giver. Auras are immune to dispel effects. Depending on how the Auramancer is played, he can rival Heal Scrapper cleanses. It's once again the unique, non existent on the other supports, class abilities which secure the tempest role here.

All of these backed up by power Heralds with Dwarf for even more stability and Boons while running as ranged dps, and maybe support Spellbreakers for strong burst area cleanse and WoD.

If you are looking at only individual aspects like healing and cleansing while discussing class viability or usefulness, you are clearly not in any type of organized WvW guild which actually puts any thought into its roster.

@CutesySylveon.8290 said:Really? I must have imagined all those times my CoR said 'Blocked' when it runs into a group. Aegis is great for blocking spike damage or key skills, like any other form of damage mitigation.

you didn't imagine all the times you got actual damage numbers, but yeah go ahead and cherry pick I already knew people would.

Cherry picked? I gave you a real example of when Aegis blocks a strong attack and your response is to just dismiss it. If you really think Aegis is useless, then I feel sorry for you because it isn't.

@GDchiaScrub.3241 said:

D:

If a scourge strips 25 stacks of aegis that would still be a HUGE shattered aegis!

D:

Does Shattered Aegis proc on stripped Aegis?

@Cyninja.2954 said:Love these discussions. It shows which players actually understand the meta and classes, and which clearly don't.

Yea me too, I don’t even want to put in the energy to respond to half of the ill informed posts there are way too many.

• Auramancer as primary cleanser, long range crowd control in form of immobs, and aura giver. Auras are immune to dispel effects. Depending on how the Auramancer is played, he can rival Heal Scrapper cleanses. It's once again the unique, non existent on the other supports, class abilities which secure the tempest role here.

Honestly, post patch I don’t see why auramancer right now is meta at all. I think it’s because people don’t know or ever understood why Tempest was so strong before, and that everything that made them a good choice (back when it wasn’t meta) was stripped from them post patch and yet all of a sudden it’s meta?(and they still refuse to put it in the meta section on metabattle) Made no sense to me how that happened but i think it’s because people have no idea...have never analyzed Zerg/Gvg fighting at a meaningful level.

Same thing with Ministrel Spellbreaker. This build right now is considered meta on metabattle and all of of its traits and stats are designed around support, but it probably does as much cleansing as a firebrand in practice. The only reason for warrior is Bubble...but there’s no reason to go Ministrel when you can still go damage spell breaker and do actual useful things.

I think we have gone way passed dead game where people are just slapping builds together on metabattle and call it meta and everyone and their mother is now an expert on gvg or zvz. Even though there is next to nobody doing real GvG anymore. It’s crazy seeing this happen in real time.

@Cyninja.2954 said:Love these discussions. It shows which players actually understand the meta and classes, and which clearly don't.

Yea me too, I don’t even want to put in the energy to respond to half of the ill informed posts there are way too many.

Honestly, post patch I don’t see why auramancer right now is meta at all. I think it’s because people don’t know or ever understood why Tempest was so strong before, and that everything that made them a good choice (back when it wasn’t meta) was stripped from them post patch and yet all of a sudden it’s meta?(and they still refuse to put it in the meta section on metabattle) Made no sense to me how that happened but i think it’s because people have no idea...have never analyzed Zerg/Gvg fighting at a meaningful level.

• the last rework makes cleansing more important now and actually requires dedicated cleanse supports even more than before. So while support Tempest took a hit, the ability to cleanse it still provides became more valuable
  • top tier GvG has replaced thief with Soulbeast, which provides a high level of immob. This does not work as well on open border or beyond 20 player compositions, is rather difficult to play (high risk/reward) and a tempest still provides good immob at range

This has more to do with the shift in meta and balance to other classes versus the change to elementalist. Basically support tempest fits better into todays meta.

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:Same thing with Ministrel Spellbreaker. This build right now is considered meta on metabattle and all of of its traits and stats are designed around support, but it probably does as much cleansing as a firebrand in practice. The only reason for warrior is Bubble...but there’s no reason to go Ministrel when you can still go damage spell breaker and do actual useful things.

No, it doesn't. I play one in GvG and while we might not be top tier like Lays or similar, in mid tier and up until right before top tier, support spellbreaker outperforms Firebrand cleanses by a mile. Yes, with a switch back to full power after the initial rush to conditions, dedicated cleanses for GvG dropping, some guilds have gone with Berserker for damage or damage Spellbreaker again. If your support Spellbreaker is not outperforming your Firebrand on cleanses or even rivaling your scrapper for any fights up to 4 minutes, replace your spellbreakers.

The other aspect is the loss warrior took with the rework of his defensive traits. Offensive Spellbreaker drops a lot easier now than pre nerf. Especially in blob or border fights. The nerf to WoD, the change to warhorn skills to affect 10 players, the global reduction in cleanses overall and the nerf to warrior survival, make it very hard to justify taking a warrior along at all (in organized compositions).

High end groups which have very good warriors who don't face-tank all damage have them run offensive, for any other warrior it's get more tanky or rip. Especially when you play your setup on border as well.

D:

D:

Does Shattered Aegis proc on stripped Aegis?

I don't actually use it, but I would assume for blocking only and not by removal due to an un-blockable strip. In its current stat it's not a super useful trait. If anything you get hit hard by retal if it does trigger within an enemy blob.

D: