Black Screens / connectivity issues

Since today I frequently get a black screen in Guild Wars 2. The game continues to run, does not crash, and displays no error message.

I can press F12 for a log out screen, showing that the game is still running. The graphics driver does not crash and continues to display other windows. The problem is limited to the Guild Wars 2 client. I did not change anything to my system that ran Guild Wars 2 fine before.

eRNcTd5.jpg

Yesterday everything still worked fine. Today I get these Black Screens of Death. I did not make any changes to my computer, including the graphics card or driver.

I'm also having connection issues to the GW2 forum today, including forum replies failing to post in one time and images not loading. I suspect there is some kind of connection problem.

My ISP is ZeelandNet.nl and I'm connected from The Netherlands to GW2 EU servers.

Forum error:dVQpmZF.jpg

• 1 year later...

2020 and still getting this. Sometimes I can play 2h without error to appear. Sometimes I get like 3 black screens in 10 minutes.Tried running on port 80, port 443. Disabling port filtering, disabling firewall, reinstalling nvidia drivers, running on low specs, still getting this, and it happens only in GW2.Pretty sad they can't fix this for years.

In my case, I found out much later that it was triggered by a specific "problematic" version of Malwarebytes Anti Malware.XhoWy7B.jpg

Namely component version 1.0.586

It solved itself when malwarebytes updated and it never happened again with newer versions. I'm currently running Malwarebytes 4.1.0.56 which is way newer. I only realized this was the problem when I restored my system from a backup which had the 'bad' version of Malwarebytes and the problem returned until i manually updated the program.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All

Was plagued by repeated crashes during story line boss battles .... extremely frustrating at HOT & POF mega battles it err codes indicated server related issues.

Thank you QuickFox above for the MalwareBytes tip...

Have used MB for 10+ years and it is great........ BUT when i shut down MB the reliable "Server crashes" during mega battles have seemed to completely end ... at least so far.

I would add that i was running the latest version Malwarebytes 4.1.0.56 and it was still seemingly causing crashing, which could be a timing issue depending on sys.

I had just spent mega bucks upgrading to the latest & best MOBO - M2 & 1660 to no avail ......... the fix appears to be turnoff Malwarebytes during play, hope this helps others, look at your resident antivirals they maybe intercepting Guildwars server calls.

• 4 months later...

@"Popocatl.2649" said:Someone found a solution?

This black screen is the disconnected screen without an error message and is caused by packet loss / something interfering with your network traffic. What exactly causes it is going to vary and range from something obvious, like a poor wireless signal, to something you might not expect, such as another game with anti-cheat software. It could potentially be caused by anything involved in your connection, or simply due to standard packet loss that you have no real control over, which could happen to anyone at some point.

@Healix.5819 said:

@"Popocatl.2649" said:Someone found a solution?

This black screen is the disconnected screen without an error message and is caused by packet loss / something interfering with your network traffic. What exactly causes it is going to vary and range from something obvious, like a poor wireless signal, to something you might not expect, such as another game with anti-cheat software. It could potentially be caused by anything involved in your connection, or simply due to standard packet loss that you have no real control over, which could happen to anyone at some point.

Do you know if there is a way to see which programs are using the internet? Sorry for asking this hehehe, I'm kinda newbie with this stuff.Why does this happen with Gw2 and not with other programs or games? It's the game a little weak at some conection or something?

Try some common stuff first:

1. Add the GW2 game folder to your antivirus' list of exceptions.
  2. Disable any add-ons/overlays for GW2.
  3. Move the GW2 installation folder to a Games folder outside of Program Files, preferably on a non-Windows partition. Delete the GW2 cache (%Temp%, then delete all folders starting with gw2cache-{ ) and Local.dat before launching the game.
  4. Repair the game client.
  5. Use DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, and once finished, followed by SFC /scannow in Command Prompt (run as Administrator).
  6. Remove your current GPU driver completely (in Safe Mode) using DDU, then perform a fresh install of the latest driver for your GPU.