Unable to purchase gems [Merged]

I had issues buying gems as well when I started playing the game again this past summer. I tried using multiple different credit cards and paypal, and would always get an error. What fixed it for me was logging into my account on guildwars2.com and going to my account info. There was a field for phone # that I had never filled out. Once I put that in, I was suddenly able to purchase gems in game.

I originally started playing GW2 at launch, so I think that information was not required at that point. Either way, I'm happily buying too many gems now.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problem today, promptly resolved by Customer Service after I posted a ticket.

As I understand it, Gem Purchases are the lifeblood of GW2: they pay to keep the game going. While CS resolved my issue, it's worth fixing the problem for any player. Maybe consider Huzbub's suggestion?

@Huzbub.2491 said:Give us an online web option to purchase Gems.

• 3 months later...

just made a support ticket, so we'll seeit's a shame....ok I could understand a few people here or there....but this is ridiculous.....apparently this has been happening for most everyone and for a while...to the extent that retailers have more than doubled the cost of gem cards (2000 gems for $52, seriously?!)hopefully it gets fixed....I tried 2 different credit cards and paypal and each time an error message would flash for a second and then it'd go back to the main screen....

I have about two support tickets at this time. I have tried various methods, credit card, debit card, and paypal. I have submitted two tickets regarding this issue, the reason for the 2nd ticket is because it was well over 72 hours and no response. There is an error for submitting a request for gems from a credit card or debit card, and paypal, which will state the offer is not available. I understand there are wait times due to limitations of staff, but it is getting to the point that their staff cannot give a canned response of, "we will investigate the issue and come back with an answer." But there has been no response of any kind, even when supplied with information that might assist pinpointing the issue. I have no idea if the problem is individual account based, or account wide because I have had no response.

I just hope that ArenaNet is looking into the issue, but even during covid-19, there should be a canned response from their support that they will be or they are looking into the ticket. In which there has not been any response.

@"Kron.6938" said:I have about two support tickets at this time. I have tried various methods, credit card, debit card, and paypal. I have submitted two tickets regarding this issue, the reason for the 2nd ticket is because it was well over 72 hours and no response. There is an error for submitting a request for gems from a credit card or debit card, and paypal, which will state the offer is not available. I understand there are wait times due to limitations of staff, but it is getting to the point that their staff cannot give a canned response of, "we will investigate the issue and come back with an answer." But there has been no response of any kind, even when supplied with information that might assist pinpointing the issue. I have no idea if the problem is individual account based, or account wide because I have had no response.

I just hope that ArenaNet is looking into the issue, but even during covid-19, there should be a canned response from their support that they will be or they are looking into the ticket. In which there has not been any response.

Submitting duplicate tickets only slows down the process. Close the duplicate and only update the original.Due to high volume, and it only got higher this weekend, response times may be well past the usual 72 hours. Well past.

Just got affected by this for the first time. Flashes up "Unfortunately an error has occurred. Please try again later." Submitted a ticket, tried deleting the cache, tried Paypal (which worked 3 weeks ago), credit card, and a debit card. It's a no go.

What other options do we have at the moment? Seems like gem code cards are sold out almost everywhere.

I'm on NA, WI ... (I try to buy gems and getting "Unfortunately an error has occurred. Please try again later.") Which I did and nothing even this afternoon. Try both me and my partner bank card just make sure wasn't an issue. Called our bank too. Bank said nothing was charged or blocked. Though I don't know if this just only GW2 today with this issue. Even Fallout76 which is another game I play... wouldn't let me buy fallout 1st sub. Even though have before in the past. So no clue if this just a lot games being hit with stuff. But just reporting in as well that I cannot buy gems on NA server wise.

@"pixie.5940" said:I'm on NA, WI ... (I try to buy gems and getting "Unfortunately an error has occurred. Please try again later.") Which I did and nothing even this afternoon. Try both me and my partner bank card just make sure wasn't an issue. Called our bank too. Bank said nothing was charged or blocked. Though I don't know if this just only GW2 today with this issue. Even Fallout76 which is another game I play... wouldn't let me buy fallout 1st sub. Even though have before in the past. So no clue if this just a lot games being hit with stuff. But just reporting in as well that I cannot buy gems on NA server wise.

Same exact issue here when trying to buy gems.

I received a reply from support on my ticket as to why I am unable to purchase gems.

"Your recent purchase attempts were caught in our payment processor’s general security checks. They are currently reviewing what’s preventing you from completing a purchase and we will send you an update as soon as this is complete. Although it’s typically much quicker, this process can take up to 12 hours."

I am also having problems. I am either getting "Unfortunately an error has occured" after attempting to purchase gems, or "This offer is currently not available, please try again later." which doesn't even let me try to buy them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem.I tried buying gems maybe 5 or 6 times in the last 2 weeks and the game just wont let me do it. It just quickly flashes some red text after I accept the transaction which says "An error has occured, try again later". I tried lowering my firewall heck i even turnt it off completely, cleared the gw2 cache tried with several other credit cards and still nothing. And I highly doubt it that there is some kind of restriction from my bank because i made purchases bigger than cost of 8k gems.

Any1 knows how fast the support team usually responds?