5 years... i am back

Hello all, looking for some guidance, and some real basic information, so do not feel like you are been too basic.

I have 150 hrs on my account.

Lvl 80 warrior exoticsLvl 80 necro exotics

6 other characters as i was aiming for 1 of every character so lvl 30-60

Many lvl ups to get them to 80

150g ish. So i assume i can upgrade what i need except for top end.

So my questions, after 5 years off i logged on and cant remember much, if anything at all, use to do speed runs of fractals and just kill dragons...

I have purchased the upgrades and noticed there is a new character.

Do you....

A) think pick up my old character and find the new content?B) think i should start a new character?

Also logging on it told me there were some game changes and the trait tree has changed, zero knowledge of any off it, quick google and it seems warriors are glass noodles ?

If you have suggestion or a good link to warrior or necro builds i would appreciate it.

I want to get back to enjoying this game and might have a guild to join with a friend, that always makes it more fun.

Appreciate your thoughts and input ?

Choose a main

Get Ascended Trinkets, learn Crafting 500 and get ascended Weapons for your main

Get a Raptor (play 1st mission of PoF)

Get gliding (play 1st mission of HoT)

Continue with PoF (also to get more mounts) or Continue Story where you left it. (Maybe get the Living Story Episodes you missed) (all avail. story is: Personal - LS2 - HoT - LS3 - PoF - LS4 - LS5)

Play Dailies and Fraktal Dailies (1-25 first, later when you've agony resi also higher) for Gold

Get Hero points to learn an Elite-Spezialization for your main

I think starting a new character would be a very good idea. Keep the ones you have, but starting a new one would be a good way to re-learn how the game works (or learn for the first time, in the case of stuff which has changed since you last played). I do that whenever I go back to a game I haven't played in a while. Sometimes I only need to go throguh the tutorial to get a reminder of the basics and it all comes back to me, sometimes I end up sticking with the new one for a while, but it's always helpful.

@Tinkstar.9478 said:Hello all, looking for some guidance, and some real basic information, so do not feel like you are been too basic.

I have 150 hrs on my account.

Lvl 80 warrior exoticsLvl 80 necro exotics

6 other characters as i was aiming for 1 of every character so lvl 30-60

Many lvl ups to get them to 80

150g ish. So i assume i can upgrade what i need except for top end.

So my questions, after 5 years off i logged on and cant remember much, if anything at all, use to do speed runs of fractals and just kill dragons...

I have purchased the upgrades and noticed there is a new character.

Do you....

A) think pick up my old character and find the new content?B) think i should start a new character?

Also logging on it told me there were some game changes and the trait tree has changed, zero knowledge of any off it, quick google and it seems warriors are glass noodles ?

If you have suggestion or a good link to warrior or necro builds i would appreciate it.

I want to get back to enjoying this game and might have a guild to join with a friend, that always makes it more fun.

Appreciate your thoughts and input ?

I think you should level them all to 80 and take it from a veteran like me, DO NOT spend any gold on gear just to get geared. Run dungeons and use tokens for armor and weapons, use green level 80 trinkets for now.. and farm maps like bitterfrost to get the basically free ascended trinkets. I say to save the gold because most of the gold spent will just be for temporary items.

Eh. Depending on how much you like levelling, either go back to your main classes, or start the levelling experience to remember how to play.

For gearing, you absolutely don't need rising your craft level or ascended until you are positive you want to invest for the long haul here.

My general approach is: play normally, advance character to level 80 while doing dailies (those 2g a day pile up), just use what you get, between level up rewards and story instance ones, you'll be decently geared to tackle content.

After 80, decide on a build, pick an intermediate one that's cheap (either sold in TP or acquired with karma if you have enough), same for upgrades (sigils/runes). If the ones you really want are expensive.

Now, at this point you have a choice: experiment the game the normal way and go into the jungle (I strongly recommend going through living story season 2 if going this way, first). Or go do the prologue of path of fire, unlock the raptor, and advance the POF story until you have both raptor and springer at level 3 (these two make a huge difference when navigating the jungle). Now you are ready to work on unlocking your elite specs. If there are hot hero point trains, go there, you can quickly unlock enough points to fully acquire both elites in the jungle. If this isn't viable, depending on how comfortable you feel with your skill either tackle the jungle on your own and ask for help when reaching a hero point (as most of them are group events), or just go solo the hero points in the desert (they are all designed to be soloable).

This is pretty much what I do in order to reach a point where I get freedom to theorycraft a build. Then comes properly gearing up (acquiring those attribute combinations which are the best fit for your build yet aren't easily acquirable), hunting for the skins of your choice, and finalizing your character.

After all this is done I'd come back if you don't have a good idea of what you'd rather do with your gaming time.

@Skotlex.7580 said:

This is pretty much what I do in order to reach a point where I get freedom to theorycraft a build. Then comes properly gearing up (acquiring those attribute combinations which are the best fit for your build yet aren't easily acquirable), hunting for the skins of your choice, and finalizing your character.

After all this is done I'd come back if you don't have a good idea of what you'd rather do with your gaming time.

This is the point i was at 5 years ago haha i remember spending ages hunting for materials to increase a specific attribute ?

@"Danikat.8537" said:I think starting a new character would be a very good idea. Keep the ones you have, but starting a new one would be a good way to re-learn how the game works (or learn for the first time, in the case of stuff which has changed since you last played). I do that whenever I go back to a game I haven't played in a while. Sometimes I only need to go throguh the tutorial to get a reminder of the basics and it all comes back to me, sometimes I end up sticking with the new one for a while, but it's always helpful.

I agree with this.

I recently returned myself after quite a long break. I had primarily played at launch. I quit while LS1 was still going on. I loved the game, but burned myself out. I did come back here and there over the years, but really would only play for a day to maybe a week. Each time I would come back overwhelmed not knowing what to do and would pretty much just leave again. My 80 necromancer is my main and I wanted to play that, but I was just lost. I found myself constantly creating a new necro each time I came back to start "fresh" I guess you could say. That personally never lasted for me, because what I really wanted to do was play my main and not be lost as to what to do.

I returned to the game this last time a few weeks ago and am having a blast. I truly do love this game. I bought both expansions so I could finally just really get into it. Well, bought Path of Fire and Heart of Thorns is free, which was nice. I bought it the day before it went on sale for 50% off. Just my luck! What I did was create a new character. But not another necro lol. I decided to try the Revenant. Fun class, but as I started playing, I did start getting a feel for the game again. Enough to the point that I felt I could log onto my main and give it a try.

One thing that was driving me nuts was the inventory issues on my main and in my bank. So the first thing I did was sell, salvage or get rid of what I didn't need. That way I felt more free to actually play the character instead of having those issues. I looked over all my abilites, traits, etc. and just decided to jump in. I figured until I actually tried playing her, I wouldn't know if I was totally lost or not. I found myself remembering fairly quickly, finally playing and having fun on my favorite character.

I picked up where I left off as far as the story goes. I went back and reread some of the stories I had done years ago to catch me up so I didn't feel so lost. While doing the story I have been gradually working towards map completion.

I will say this for my experience coming back. I do advise doing the first part of Path of Fire to at least get the raptor mount, and this is why. I had been being adamant about playing the game in order and not skipping ahead. I didn't want any mounts or gliders until I hit the areas they were introduced in. But this is what I found happening for a returning player. Most people are going around the old content on flying mounts and other very fast mounts. The problem with that is this. In Living World Season 2 you are going to have story chapters that have you going to areas and your objective isn't in an instanced story area. They will rely on events you trigger in the world by talking to someone for example. I would talk to the person, they would mark it on my map and it would be far away sometimes. Me not having a mount made this a frustrating experience that changed my mind about waiting on mounts. Before I could run to the area to do the event tied to my story, other players had swooped in from their flying mounts or got there quick from their other mounts and the event would be done before I could get to it to continue my story. After a couple days of that, I decided to at least get the raptor mount. Sadly, doing that first step of Path of Fire will spoil the story a bit.

This ended up being much longer than I meant it to be, sorry! One last piece of advice though. Play what is fun for you to play. Don't feel like you have to play a certain character or whatever. Play what is fun and you are in the mood for. No matter if that is an old level 80 or a new character or two.

I opened up 6 or 7 birthday cards... all my characters are lvl 60 now with 2 natural 80 2 natural 60.

I made a new character the revenant one, ill do tutorial skip to 80 so my leveling up gives appropriate pointe to burn for skills (makes sense to me) and still play correctly.

I will try to get the raptor i have already noticed thats annoying, and i found a guild with some friends.

I too cleaned out my 3 bank slots as they were just full, infact i spent 2 hrs learning new stuff like wardrobe haha nice add.

Thank you all, i am going to play new character, see where it takes me and then i may relook at warrior and necro ?

Thank you all for the input. Feeling reassured.