Why Soulbeast is not wanted in squads (WvW)

anduriell.6280

@"anduriell.6280" said:This leads me to the following conclusions if we want for Soulbeast to have an spot in squads.[Damage]Baseline:

• All projectiles have a 100% to trigger combo fields. Right now it sits in a 20% which is not ideal for a class which most of its weapons are projectiles.
  • Stances do not stack.

I doubt the projectile change would benefit the ranger that much. I don't think it's necessary.Stances not stacking is a dangerous idea especially since there is stance sharing. Other professions can also have stances and I doubt they would be happy to lose the stance they need because the soulbeast next to them shared it's own. The idea is nice in the microcosm of the soulbeast but create issues in the macrocosm of the game.

Traits:

• Lead the wind. Ranger needs a way to fight the permanent projectile hate creep in game. It is the only class with strong focus in projectile based attacks. This trait grants 1 unblockable stack(3s) each time a projectile triggers a combo field once every second (ICD 1s). Reduce the Piercing to 3 targets as the objective of this change is to fight permanent projectile hate.

Terrible idea. As far as possible let's not add more unblockable in this game, active defense also need to be rewarding.

Weapons:

• Longbow: If skills 3 (Hunter's Shot) hit a target Skill 5 (Barrage) is refreshed.

I think it would be wiser to think about giving back to the ranger the ability to set their traps at range via trapper's expertise if you want more range aoe.

[support]Stances looks promising and the easiest way to prepare the ranger for squad gameplay. Druid is simply not there and it needs a much more in-depth rework of the class.

Traits

• Leader of the pack to apply full duration to allies. This is fundamental for the stances to work. It should lift the number of squad cleanses to 60-70 to bring it closer to Firebrand's.
  • Essence of Speed. This trait to be changed to : Stances get 2s of CD reduction for each ally affected by the stance (max 10s) .

Stances

• Bear : Extend base duration 1 more second up to 5 seconds, same as in PvP. This should bring the squad cleanses up to FB level. Additionally add -33% Incoming Condition Damage, -33% Incoming Damage most extra healing is negated by condition ticks until they are cleansed.
  • Moa: instead using a percentage, use a fixed value instead like Essence of Speed. Add 2s to any boon you grant while this stance is in effect.
  • Doylak: remove "-33% Incoming Condition Damage, -33% Incoming Damage" from the effect to avoid overbloat of effects. Apply short resistance (3s) when cast instead.
  • Vulture: Additionally apply small amount of barrier (250) each time the stance apply poison to a target.
  • Glyphon: Instead might when evade successfully, apply short quickness(2s) and retaliation(6s). This skill should be defined as a counterattack.
  • One Wolf Pack: This skill is problematic as it is overwhelming in a 1v1 situation. But at the same time is very underwhelming in team fights. I propose : reduce base damage in a 33%, Add AoE damage around the target(radius 300) to 2 additional targets when it triggers.

Like I said your thoughts on stances are dangerous even if they seem logic in the microcosm that soulbeast is. There is a need to take into consideration that the soulbeast isn't the only one that have access to stances. Stance the way you see them are bound to be the absolute ban of the soulbeast in organized group content, not it's "sesame".

Running this right now for medium and large scale engagements:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAweFlRweYXMNGKWuX7PzBEB-zVZYBRHCsKIDxwldKNJE6UE0rCobJgGnlIWtA-w

Feel free to overanalyze it. All I know is I'm dropping 20k damage on the backline in 2-3 secs. It's a stupidly bursty build that I adapted from the Snowcrow raiding build. It may not be meta, but it's fun.

You guys are trying to fit a square peg into a triangular hole discussing projectiles. If you want to snipe backliners or commanders with your Longbow, then you play BESIDE your zerg with full zerker and Lead the Wind.

The only way I see rangers being part of zerg meta is after some massive Druid overhaul.