Elite Spec with Mace

Kodama.6453

I recently noticed that there are just 3 classes which can use a mace (was looking it up, since I was considering to build Eureka): Guardian, Warrior, and Revenant.

Just 3 classes and all of them are heavy armor classes? This is kinda sad. I hope that we can get an elite spec in the future that uses maces, preferably on engineer (Alchemy theme?) and both as mainhand and offhand (if Spellbreaker can get both for dagger, then other classes can as well).

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:engi makes sense, but I hope its teef. I want to club ppl over the head and steal their munny.

Also a great choice. Giving mace to one of the light armor professions additionally would be welcomed, I could imagine a Necromancer using that weapon as well. It's just odd that the 3 heavy armor classes are the only ones able to use that weapon.

@Kodama.6453 said:

Also a great choice. Giving mace to one of the light armor professions additionally would be welcomed, I could imagine a Necromancer using that weapon as well. It's just odd that the 3 heavy armor classes are the only ones able to use that weapon.

Not that odd taking in consideration that in the real world maces are weapons specifically designed to negate the protection from armors creating trauma through delivering kinetic energy instead of slicing and bleeding enemies. A non armor/light armored fighter has no business wielding a mace vs foes with metal plates.

@Buran.3796 said:

Not that odd taking in consideration that in the real world maces are weapons specifically designed to negate the protection from armors creating trauma through delivering kinetic energy instead of slicing and bleeding enemies. A non armor/light armored fighter has no business wielding a mace vs foes with metal plates.

That is not really relevant for this game, tho.

I mean, yeah, this is how this weapon got used in the real world. But look how greatswords were used in the real world and then how Mesmers are using them...This is a fantasy game, they can easily interpret weapons in different ways than they actually have been used in the real world.

@Kodama.6453 said:

That is not really relevant for this game, tho.

I mean, yeah, this is how this weapon got used in the real world. But look how greatswords were used in the real world and then how Mesmers are using them...This is a fantasy game, they can easily interpret weapons in different ways than they actually have been used in the real world.

Pretty much. Maces have also been used for ceremonial purposes, so I could definitely see them being used as spellcasting focii.

• 2 months later...

It's quite a limited theme weapon isn't it..

Mace is a big, slow and clunky weapon.. so outside of the heavy classes I only really see it fitting into Engineer, Necromancer and maybe Ranger..Thief having a club could work but most of the mace designs would look absurd on a class that excells at speed and mobility so Mace doesn't fit the Thief theme at all to me.

Engineer I could see it work well with, specially if it came with a one handed hammer skin.Necro on the other hand works with the more barbaric side of Mace like weapons such as Morning Stars/Spike balled Maces, Necros smashing a large spiked ball into someones face is definitely up there with their darker/evilish theme.

Main problem with Necro and Mace though is that Mace is yet another slow weapon and Necro already has an abundance of slow/slowish weapons.. if anything they need a new fast attacking weapon with their next spec.. Maybe MH Sword or Shortbow.

I'd be happy with a Mace as a necromancer. Not sure on what sort of spec. But it would be nice to have a melee condi weapon. But honestly, I want more condi options for necro.

As for Engineer, I'd prefer a ranged spec since we got 2 melee specs already.

@Teratus.2859 said:It's quite a limited theme weapon isn't it..

Mace is a big, slow and clunky weapon.. so outside of the heavy classes I only really see it fitting into Engineer, Necromancer and maybe Ranger..Thief having a club could work but most of the mace designs would look absurd on a class that excells at speed and mobility so Mace doesn't fit the Thief theme at all to me.

Engineer I could see it work well with, specially if it came with a one handed hammer skin.Necro on the other hand works with the more barbaric side of Mace like weapons such as Morning Stars/Spike balled Maces, Necros smashing a large spiked ball into someones face is definitely up there with their darker/evilish theme.

Main problem with Necro and Mace though is that Mace is yet another slow weapon and Necro already has an abundance of slow/slowish weapons.. if anything they need a new fast attacking weapon with their next spec.. Maybe MH Sword or Shortbow.

As you said, a thief with a club could work and that other skins might look weird is not really a factor, in my opinion.Look, for example, at stuff like the daredevil. They are using the weapon as a melee weapon to strike foes with. There are quite alot of staff skins which look weird when used by a daredevil, but that didn't hinder it's implementation.

Still think that engineer would be the best fit for a mace elite spec, tho. We have so many mace skins which are flavoured for the engineer with a technology/mechanic theme, like Fixer Upper and Eureka, yet we can't use them....

@Kodama.6453 said:

As you said, a thief with a club could work and that other skins might look weird is not really a factor, in my opinion.Look, for example, at stuff like the daredevil. They are using the weapon as a melee weapon to strike foes with. There are quite alot of staff skins which look weird when used by a daredevil, but that didn't hinder it's implementation.

Still think that engineer would be the best fit for a mace elite spec, tho. We have so many mace skins which are flavoured for the engineer with a technology/mechanic theme, like Fixer Upper and Eureka, yet we can't use them....

If ever mace comes to Engineer, I sure hope it'll be for core engi. Core desperately needs some love especially in terms of weapons; an addition of one-handed power weapon to core engineer would dramatically increase the build variety, not only on core.Funny how 1 more main-hand weapon would basically double the arsenal of main-hand weapons on core.

Yeah, can't disagree with that. With just 3 possible weapon combinations, engineer got restricted way too much. Unfortunately, I don't see them adding core weapons in the near future...

Some other weapons, which I would also like to see added to core:

• torch (to make it different from all other specs, making this a power offhand weapon would be interesting)
  • dagger (would like this to be a supportive weapon with some conditions, basically using it as a scalpel, reinforcing the medic archetype)

Mace would be fine as a caster weapon. I'd assume more of a melee range though if any caster got it in the next E-Specs.

Engi /kind of/ has a mace with the wrench. When you think about it they gave Engi 6 weapon sets at a time. Perhaps asking for a kit rework would be better in order to flesh each of them out AND THEN see what Engineer on the whole needs before adding a new weapon. Mortar and Grenade kits could use more velocity (mortar especially). Wrench could use more power damage or CC. Flamethrower could actually use more condi on the AA. I don't use the medi kit or elixir gun as much so I can't speak to them. Bomb kit could use a trait to shorten the fuse time, I know they JUST removed that, but common that was a dumb decision.

@Kodama.6453 said:

It's true, though I admit it does make me laugh every time a see a Daredevil swining about a mage staff.. it looks so dumb xDSame would be true for Mace too but you're right, it shouldnt stop the existence of it but it would allow a new level of absurdity to come into the fashion wars side of the game lol

@Buran.3796 said:

Not that odd taking in consideration that in the real world maces are weapons specifically designed to negate the protection from armors creating trauma through delivering kinetic energy instead of slicing and bleeding enemies. A non armor/light armored fighter has no business wielding a mace vs foes with metal plates.And in the real world a hammer is not a ranged weapon.... but tell that to Rev.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

Not that odd taking in consideration that in the real world maces are weapons specifically designed to negate the protection from armors creating trauma through delivering kinetic energy instead of slicing and bleeding enemies. A non armor/light armored fighter has no business wielding a mace vs foes with metal plates.And in the real world a hammer is not a ranged weapon.... but tell that to Rev.

I would love to see the currently useless Rev hammer turned into something usefull in cqc. And the use of undewater spears as ground spears: spears and bows were the most usefull weapons in history untill the arrival of the gunpowder and in this game are almost absent.

@Buran.3796 said:

I would love to see the currently useless Rev hammer turned into something usefull in cqc. And the use of undewater spears as ground spears: spears and bows were the most usefull weapons in history untill the arrival of the gunpowder and in this game are almost absent.

I highly doubt that we will see spears as an own weapon type for on-land combat.Best bet for the spear archetype probably is that they will make an elite spec for warrior with staff that uses spear combat mechanics. We even already have staff skins which look like spears in the game already.

I can see:

• Engi have mace yet I feel it's unlikely because the tool kit kinda feel the role.
  • Mesmer could end up with double mace with a maracas skin.
  • Necromancer could very well get mace and use it like he use a scepter for more curses at mid range (We've seen odder things in GW2)
  • Thief thematic fit well with mace, I'd say off-hand more than main-hand throught. Well, just an off-hand already mean 5 new skills for a thief so...
  • Somehow I've got some difficulties imagining it on elementalist and ranger. Hammer seem to fit better than mace on both of them, but that's only my opinion.

@Samug.6512 said:

If ever mace comes to Engineer, I sure hope it'll be for core engi. Core desperately needs some love especially in terms of weapons; an addition of one-handed power weapon to core engineer would
dramatically
increase the build variety, not only on core.Funny how 1 more main-hand weapon would basically double the arsenal of main-hand weapons on core.

Honestly i think the wrench tool os kinda meh.

I would rather want to see mace being baseline and wrench gets reworked into the defensive kit it should be and not a weird mix between power, condi and CC.

So make it no longer melee but more mid range with some pulls, blocks, deflects, wards etc.Like a Magnet tool.

I do have this idea for an engi elite spec whose theme is channeling aether magic through scientific means called an Aethermage (name subject to change). I considered giving them a torch since they haven't gotten a new off-hand weapon but I think the mace could work too

@Kodama.6453 said:

@InsaneQR.7412 said:i would love double mace for a wraden type like e-spec for ranger.

Many ppl wabt a hammer but mace could function the same and gives more combinatorial options.

Mace wouldn't have the bunny thumper reference, which is the main reason why people want hammer on rangers in the first place.

Feeling wise it could still hit the spot.