can we also cut powercreep on AoEs?

Lighter.5631

@Daishi.6027 said:

@mistsim.2748 said:No...because control point. We need different game modes where aoe's won't be as impactful. I don't know why so many players are missing this crucial point - it's the game mode that's trash. This has always been the case.

GW2 should have been balanced (separately) around two main game modes: 2v2/3v3 deathmatch, and 15v15/20v20 gvgs. It's where players always showed the most interest (different camps obviously). Control point was always such trash to me, and they could never balance around it properly.

we had team death match and stronghold, I'm pretty sure it's not the game mode. definitely no interest in 20v20, let alone watching one, what a hot mess..

5v5 death match simply with the balance they already designed around conquest is hardly what anyone means when they bring up death match. That is a lazily slapped together thing so A-net creates so can say they tried it. (I’d also argue there is a significant difference between 2v2 and 3v3 vs 5v5 even with a proper balance scale.)

Stronghold was their attempt to add lanes while clearly not understanding what actually makes lanes fun, and in a lot of way it just felt like conquest with more steps. team fights in mid And at summons definitely felt similar.

Also GvG is more of a WvW thing, but it’s not like conquest pulls in much new viewership, while smaller scale fights would be much easier to distinguish what’s going on to the uninitiated.

Well said.

I only mentioned gvgs because, unlike Stronghold, it had/has a genuine following and its own organic meta. I would say that by far more players were interested in gvgs overall than in Conquest even.

ANet should have seen years ago the problems with the 5v5 format and pivoted toward what players were actually interested in, such as duels, small scale fights (<8 players), and yes 15v15's.

Hell, 5v5 isn't necessarily the problem even. It's the capture points where players are forced to crowd. Out of which a bunch of annoying roles arise, such as decapping, aoe bombs, bunkering, etc.

@mistsim.2748 said:

@mistsim.2748 said:No...because control point. We need different game modes where aoe's won't be as impactful. I don't know why so many players are missing this crucial point - it's the game mode that's trash. This has always been the case.

GW2 should have been balanced (separately) around two main game modes: 2v2/3v3 deathmatch, and 15v15/20v20 gvgs. It's where players always showed the most interest (different camps obviously). Control point was always such trash to me, and they could never balance around it properly.

we had team death match and stronghold, I'm pretty sure it's not the game mode. definitely no interest in 20v20, let alone watching one, what a hot mess..

5v5 death match simply with the balance they already designed around conquest is hardly what anyone means when they bring up death match. That is a lazily slapped together thing so A-net creates so can say they tried it. (I’d also argue there is a significant difference between 2v2 and 3v3 vs 5v5 even with a proper balance scale.)

Stronghold was their attempt to add lanes while clearly not understanding what actually makes lanes fun, and in a lot of way it just felt like conquest with more steps. team fights in mid And at summons definitely felt similar.

Also GvG is more of a WvW thing, but it’s not like conquest pulls in much new viewership, while smaller scale fights would be much easier to distinguish what’s going on to the uninitiated.

Well said.

I only mentioned gvgs because, unlike Stronghold, it had/has a genuine following and its own organic meta. I would say that by far more players were interested in gvgs overall than in Conquest even.

ANet should have seen years ago the problems with the 5v5 format and pivoted toward what players were actually interested in, such as duels, small scale fights (<8 players), and yes 15v15's.

Hell, 5v5 isn't necessarily the problem even. It's the capture points where players are forced to crowd. Out of which a bunch of annoying roles arise, such as decapping, aoe bombs, bunkering, etc.

because 2v2 death match isn't dominated by aoe focused builds, as long as there's obstructs, platforms, time limit, anti-stealth-spam, anti-perma kit pewpew cheese, people will end up being forced to crowd unless u want never ending game. also wvw zerg meta is aoe spams.