Elementalist or Necromancer

Chanmi.4803

Hi,

I would love to get your opinion on this issue.

I'm trying to find out, which char i should "main"

Right now, I'm enjoying Necro, because of survivabillity in fractals, because with my Ele (Weaver) I'm still dying and I don't even know what happened and why. Ele is also fun in fractals, but I'm more enjoying Necro, because I don't need to worry that much about dying. But unfortunately, Necro should be worst dps in game, so I'm scared, if I wont be kicked from higher fractals or raids.

I would love to complete a map with my "main" class, but nowdays, I somehow don't enjoy running in open world with Ele, but Necro I do more.

Also in healer/support builds Necro is more interesting to me, with barriers, but He isn't sharing any boons, so he is not too much popular, as I saw on internet.

Also for Pvp/WvW perspective, Necro is more interesting to me.

So in the end, I would love to play Necro, but I'm scared, that If i would want to play it in higher fractals or raids, I would be kicked or told to switch.

I know I can technically play both, because GW2 is kinda alt friendly, but I'm looking now for the "main character"

Thank you all for your opinions!

Reapers are solid but selfish DPS. No fractal run with a Reaper in the group should ever fail though. I'd take a competent Reaper over a crappy Weaver player running a 'meta' build that they can't nail the rotation anyday. If you run enough PUG FotMs you start to remember players and who is good and who is not.

Ele CAN be a tanky setup if you play tempest. The Fotm/Raids/Dungeon sub forum gives me crap on this, but a non meta comp that knows each other and plays their build well will outperform a 'meta' comp that is bad at their rotations. Actually being a good player matters FAR more than the class you are playing. It's only when you gets to speed clearing that things start to matter, and even then someone who know's their class and build even if it is non meta will perform better than a meta comp that can't do a rotation right.

Weaver is a harder rotation to remember, so unless you like playing Piano Wars 2 I'd so go Reaper. Run Blood, Soul Reaping, Reaper.

Something like this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSgAYFlZwuYaMHWJm6XlNbA-zRRYDRFWMsSppCotEo2QoiIwzDSYsHeL6PDA-e

If there are no rangers or warriors in the party that are bringing party buffs then swap out the Valkyrie gear for Marauder gear. If you need mass condi cleansing then take anti-toxin runes, Unholy Martyr, and sigils of cleansing. Popping in and out of shroud every 9 s pulls a massive amount of condis from the party and you then purge them.

If you need more DPS then swap Blood out for Spite and go full ham on DPS traits.

Play what you enhoy.Necro can have a very potent DPS as a reaper and can be a very capable DPS memeber of the party. Especially because they die not that easily they can have a good uptime okof consistent pressure.

Ele can be a very good healer as a tempest that still can dish out quite the amount of Damage and utility support.But survivability is more skill dependend than necro and has a higher skill ceiling.

DPS checks aren't so tight as to mandate running top tier FotM meta builds.

Heck, even min-max PvE sites like Snow Crows has builds on there for Necro.

Add in the fact that a "Lower tier" DPS played competently is significantly better than a FotM DPS played poorly as well as the fact that many higher DPS builds can also have limited utility compared to something like Necro (Which can easily provide some decent breakbar damage, boon strip, condi cleanse and even some party healing) which makes it much easier to be useful in PuGs that won't always be running the optimal group set ups.

Means really, you shouldn't have much of a problem playing Necro if that's what you find more fun. As it's only real downside is that it's not the "Best" when doing min-max'd Raids (Where perma-Quickness + Alacrity buff builds are common increasing other builds DPS more than Necro's) but these aren't necessary to do.

I’m playing necromancer since 2012.

Lately, in high level fractal it is as welcome as every other profession in a dps role. Its dps can be really good (especially as Reaper), there is no risk to be kicked for that.

In raids you could see a lot of people doing better dps than a good necromancer (if you play with “skilled people”). Necromancer contribution can still be more than enough for most groups, but someone could make you feel excluded.You could have to find a group of open minded, not “ignorant” people, to enjoy playing raids with a necromancer.

For Strike Missions, it will be fine.

@Black Storm.6974 said:I’m playing necromancer since 2012.

Lately, in high level fractal it is as welcome as every other profession in a dps role. Its dps can be really good (especially as Reaper), there is no risk to be kicked for that.

In raids you could see a lot of people doing better dps than a good necromancer (if you play with “skilled people”). Necromancer contribution can still be more than enough for most groups, but someone could make you feel excluded.You could have to find a group of open minded, not “ignorant” people, to enjoy playing raids with a necromancer.

For Strike Missions, it will be fine.

Its really that if you PUG a lot you end up accruing a large friends list of people whos gameplay you trust, and you end up on a lot of other friends lists. It becomes easy to just send whispers out to form the party rather than to use the LFG tool. Like I said before you'll end up recognizing the player names of the good and the bad as you permeate through the random PUG population which is more finite in size than you think particularly if your play at a consistent time of day.