I think the shield weapon skills need to be changed.

Flee.5602

We have been asking for changes in the shield for ages now and it is still this bad , and not happy with it we keep getting nerfs to other weapons like hammer so i think they just want to erase revs from gw2 , even when it is a class that comes with pof.Well lets hope we get some goodbthings next expansion

Relatively speaking, I find shield feels better than it did pre-patch. At the same time, the damage from offhand sword feels more necessary with damage in general being lower. The 1s extra prot duration is quite nice on it, tbh. At this point, I just wish shield 4 was more reliable as a ranged ally heal. Rev gets all this mechanically janky stuff like Ventari's tablet, healing orbs, and shield 4 that make it hard to actually properly support allies in a lot of situations. Not to mention shield 4 still gets destroyed by enemy aegis last I checked, despite it being "unblockable." Not to mention the pathing issues it has on return.

Shield on its own is fine, it didn't take the same kind of nerfs every other weapon did. It looks almost too good on condi herald, but I think that's much more easily attributed to the ridiculous sustain and resistance uptime you get with condi herald- not to shield.

Shield is, however, not great on straight power herald. This is simply due to the role power herald has been forced into in PvP, making sword a no brainer pick. The nerfs to mainhand sword as well as the blanket damage nerfs only make it even more necessary to take sword offhand. In addition, with damage reduced across the board, the value of a 3 second block is comparatively less than it used to be, considering you'll be avoiding less damage.

Given that power herald has slowly turned into a gank class reliant on quickness bursts (aka, landing ridiculous damage before your opponent can even react), it's going to take a lot of changes to make shield viable again, and the fact that the other offhand choice (sword) has a skill that still nukes people for ridiculous damage altogether too fast, I don't see shield ever being meta for power herald again unless sweeping changes are made. I miss the days of sw/sh herald in PvP.

WvW though, you can take shield just fine and in many cases I would recommend it with Hardening Persistence, especially when you consider how strong conditions are in WvW compared to PvP. Still, a grand majority of people who even bother to roam on power herald in WvW (most have jumped ship by now) prefer sword due to its damage. And it'll be that way unless we have another rework- until then, no matter how good of a defensive weapon you make Shield, Sword offhand will still be the pick of most because you can't crit someone for 9k with a shield with an extremely quick casting attack, can you?

Shield is actually not bad, but it has to compete with OH Sword and OH Axe, which makes it very clunky to use on most Revenant builds.

A good QoL though, is to make Shield 4 an AoE 400 range pulse which heals for decent amount and applies Protection.

I think the herald itself should be reworked completely with renegade , make renegade completely focused on healing and suport and renegade completely focusedvon dmg.In fact it would be easy , just give herald an alacriti upkeep and make shield skills a bit stronger ( being able to move while blocking or having a block that pulses heal and cant be affected by for example VG blues would be good ) now change the gm trait that gives dmg when using upkeeps to something that increases the number of boons your upkeep gives and herald now is a strong support ,make it so it doesnt maintain the boons perma or its restricted to 6boons at a time and that works.For renegade you could make a trait that gives you a %dmg increase per summon you have up instead of the alac trait and you increase the dmg of both condi and power renegade , then tune down a bit the condi dmg a little bit if needed and done.

@zaswer.5246 said:I think the herald itself should be reworked completely with renegade , make renegade completely focused on healing and suport and renegade completely focusedvon dmg.In fact it would be easy , just give herald an alacriti upkeep and make shield skills a bit stronger ( being able to move while blocking or having a block that pulses heal and cant be affected by for example VG blues would be good ) now change the gm trait that gives dmg when using upkeeps to something that increases the number of boons your upkeep gives and herald now is a strong support ,make it so it doesnt maintain the boons perma or its restricted to 6boons at a time and that works.For renegade you could make a trait that gives you a %dmg increase per summon you have up instead of the alac trait and you increase the dmg of both condi and power renegade , then tune down a bit the condi dmg a little bit if needed and done.

I like this idea, Alacrity fits better with Glint's theme and kit anyway and diviner's gear would be more useful cuz of all the boons glint provides. Kalla could get a more dps focused f3 that pushes condi damage (yes IK alacrity helps with condi too) or focus on dps with f2. The biggest issue with glint atm is that while it does provide boons it doesn't provide enough to put it into raids while alacrity alone is enough to put Kalla into raid meta as power.

Edit: This will probably change if we ever get a stats like +Condition damage / + Expertise / + Concentration which will make Glint extinct in PvE in its current state outside of Open World.

Please note I am look strictly at PvE.

@phokus.8934 said:Shield 4 needs an overhaul.Shield 5 needs to lose the root and pulse protection.

With PvP teams running up to 3 condi Revs at the moment and people asking for further nerfs in both power Herald, condi Herald and condi Renegade in the forums you can't even dream with those changes to take place, as much as I agree with you.

What i wonder is why they cry about revs when there are guardians and warriors wich are 10 times stronger than revs .Even if revs were strong in pvp i dont get why cant anet balance shield so its not a kitten weapon , at least in pve , or why they dont fix the bugs revs have .

@zaswer.5246 said:What i wonder is why they cry about revs when there are guardians and warriors wich are 10 times stronger than revs .

The only place in which those classes are better than Rev is in instanced PvE and (only in the case of Guardian) WvW. Rev overall has a strong place across all the game modes at the moment. From best solo PvE character, to 3-4 viable builds in PvP, decent roamer and one of the back bones of the WvW zergs. The complaints come mostly from other PvP classes.

@Buran.3796 said:

@zaswer.5246 said:What i wonder is why they cry about revs when there are guardians and warriors wich are 10 times stronger than revs .

The only place in which those classes are better than Rev is in instanced PvE and (only in the case of Guardian) WvW. Rev overall has a strong place across all the game modes at the moment. From best solo PvE character, to 3-4 viable builds in PvP, decent roamer and one of the back bones of the WvW zergs. The complaints come mostly from other PvP classes.

I don't know I've been a rev main for a while, and have been taking a break from it. My spellbreaker sure seems to poop on and or bully them right out of the way, and guardians seem to be better at fighting honestly with all their gimicks.. But this is what happens when you make a jack-of-all-trades class and then try to push roles onto it while not understanding it. We need more core weapons, and we need weapon reworks.... I miss old Off-handsword..... good days blocking with that wep.

I hate how rev has become... well this.

@Buran.3796 said:

@phokus.8934 said:Shield 4 needs an overhaul.Shield 5 needs to lose the root and pulse protection.

With PvP teams running up to 3 condi Revs at the moment and people asking for further nerfs in both power Herald, condi Herald and condi Renegade in the forums you can't even dream with those changes to take place, as much as I agree with you.

yet condi rev is far weaker than before patch >_> but there were better gimicks to carry at that time, reason not many were paying atention to it.

@Aeolus.3615 said:

yet condi rev is far weaker than before patch >_> but there were better gimicks to carry at that time, reason not many were paying atention to it.

I think that power Herald is still the strongest Rev build in PvP; condi Rev (both Herald and Renegade) are having fun time due they pair very well with support Firebrands and Eles (or even Necros) and are fantastic at the central node. But they move slow and can't rotate the map or +1 in the same way as power Herald. And power Herald, despite being weak to conditions, has huge sustain thanks to the nerfs to the power skills across other classes and has a large pressence in teamfights thanx to Jade Winds/ Elemental Blast/Chaotic release and Surge of Mist. You can rotate between those four for ages forcing foes to spent blocks and evades or cc them in long chains. Warrior has a favourable matchup against Revs? That's fine, but you barely see one in the AT tournaments...