Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

Update on testing with Pingzapper. Sorry it took a while but I had some issues with internet after a recent storm for a few days.

I tested it on 2 separate characters. I had no disconnects in relation to Anets side after using it. The only times I had issues with disconnects was because of my internet not cooperating. As of right now i'm over halfway into Heart of Thorns on one character and no disconnects. The other character has completed all of Living World Season 2 with no issues either. If you are having issues with story disconnects I recommend Pingzapper. It has definitely helped me out. They offer a 7 day trial so you can try before committing any money. I will admit that I hate that I have to rely on a 3rd party program to get something to work but it is what it is. Hopefully this helps until Anet decide to actually do something about it.

Well I came back after a 5 year break about six weeks ago and had an absolute blast working through the expansion content that I'd missed.

Unfortunately I'm one of the ones affected by these story mode disconnects to the point where I just can't be bothered anymore.

I just did a story instance on an alt and disconnected right before the last fight.

These disconnects always happen to me on both accounts, during unskippable Cinematics...The downside is that it boots you out of the instance, and you have to replay the entire instance again.

Forging the Pact in this case, already a dragging instance, now have to redo it. Valuable time just lost... gone.

This also happens a LOT on the HoT finale, where there are - weirdly enough - no checkpoints.On this main account, I crashed twice in that one, after defeating the dragon and had to do the entire (LONG) instance again, FROM THE VERY START which took a total of 3 hours..

yes THREE HOURS to complete that ONE instance.Killed the dragon THREE TIMES just to get it done!

So my questions are:

Why did you never bother to put in checkpoints on some of these long instances to prevent us wasting our times doing things dozen times over?

Why are these cinematics still unskippable while they are the MAYOR cause of disconnects?

I don't get that AT ALL.

Yes at this moment I am mad.This has been an issue since the day I started playing this game about 2 years ago, and nothing has been done to meet us half way.

I am VERY dissapointed in that, VERY.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:ArenaNet suggests using a VPN; I understand there are free ones.

Do you consider the free services secure? Giving Google and others even more data than they've already gathered about you might not be the smartest move.

@"DannyBoy.9601" said:eventually i stumbled across a setting in my router i never knew existed "IP flood detection".Turned that off and bingo, no more disconnects

"When IP Flood Detection is enabled, your router has the ability to block malicious devices that are attempting to flood devices."

I wouldn't recommend that for wireless internet connections.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:ArenaNet suggests using a VPN; I understand there are free ones.

Do you consider the free services secure? Giving Google and others even more data than they've already gathered about you might not be the smartest move.

@"DannyBoy.9601" said:eventually i stumbled across a setting in my router i never knew existed "IP flood detection".Turned that off and bingo, no more disconnects

"When IP Flood Detection is enabled, your router has the ability to block malicious devices that are attempting to flood devices."

I wouldn't recommend that for wireless internet connections.

Stating a fact is neither an endorsement for nor against. I'm sure players can make those decisions for themselves without others' input.

@Jeffrey Vaughn.1793 said:We have folks investigating this issue, but so far we haven't been able to reproduce it. We're trying to determine what the commonality is between players that run into this issue. If you haven't already, please submit a bug when it happens so we can get more data points.

Hi Jeffrey,

I've been having this issue happening to me, my friends, and tons of guildies for years. What did you need to see from our network connections or logs (if any exist) to start addressing this issue? We're dumping a lot of money playing this game, for such a game breaking feature to exist. Imagine doing 45 minutes to an hour of instance story line...only to disconnect due to some strange error? - Why isn't the feature to reconnect to Instance been ported over from GW1? - It solved a lot of problems back then. Why isn't such a nice feature available in a more modern iteration of the engine?

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Jay Mack.3481 said:I’m just arriving to this thread in May, 2020, and have noticed some of the first few comments from over 2 years ago complaining about disconnecting following a cutscene during the final Arah story mission. I’ve had this happen three times in a row, and it’s extremely frustrating considering it’s the final story mission of the original campaign. Has there been any workable solutions presented to address this at all?

play in windowed modeAlways have, makes no difference

Constantly press jump/attack buttonsTried that today, eventually had a disconnect again right after a cutscene

minimize gw2 during cutscenes.made no difference, also tremendously impractical

use a proxyTried that yesterday, had a cutscene disconnect almost immediately

The problem with all these fixes is that the issue itself is intermittent. For myself I have almost never had a repeat of a disconnect upon a second run through an instance, so I can advance but it is incredibly deflating and frustrating. So when somene tries a fix and comes to the forums to proclaim its effectiveness, they are likely only seeing what would have happened had they done nothing.

For example today while I was spamming attacks/jumps during cut scenes, I managed to get through six or seven instances without issue so I begin thinking that this is some kind of miracle cure. Until it isn't and you disconnect anyway.

Anet needs to do the right thing and either add checkpoints, or (the easier option imo) keep instances open for 5 minutes after a player disconnects from the server. Lots of other games do this so you can get back into an instance even if you disconnect.

@Nato.2051 said:

@Jeffrey Vaughn.1793 said:We have folks investigating this issue, but so far we haven't been able to reproduce it. We're trying to determine what the commonality is between players that run into this issue. If you haven't already, please submit a bug when it happens so we can get more data points.

Hi Jeffrey,

I've been having this issue happening to me, my friends, and tons of guildies for years. What did you need to see from our network connections or logs (if any exist) to start addressing this issue? We're dumping a lot of money playing this game, for such a game breaking feature to exist. Imagine doing 45 minutes to an hour of instance story line...only to disconnect due to some strange error? - Why isn't the feature to reconnect to Instance been ported over from GW1? - It solved a lot of problems back then. Why isn't such a nice feature available in a more modern iteration of the engine?

Unfortunately, you won't get a response from Jeffrey, as he has not worked at ArenaNet for more than a year.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Hi Jeffrey,

Unfortunately, you won't get a response from Jeffrey, as he has not worked at ArenaNet for more than a year.

Well that's a little more depressing. :( - But thank you for the heads up.

I try to finish hots last quest "Hearts and Minds" and 3 times i got disconnected after the 3 long fights, its there any solution to this or is this the way its meant to be? if anet cant fix this why dont put checkpoints, every time i have to do all the instance.

@"Yuel.6583" said:I try to finish hots last quest "Hearts and Minds" and 3 times i got disconnected after the 3 long fights, its there any solution to this or is this the way its meant to be? if anet cant fix this why dont put checkpoints, every time i have to do all the instance.

There are several troubleshooting tips in this thread. Have you tried each one?

BUMPING THIS: because DC issues are still happening. I get kicked out of the instance, and have to spend another hour or more to catch back up. What kind of bull is this? I added the ports they request and enabled GW2 through my firewall.

For folks who are interested. I've been digging into this.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

-clientport 80Instructs the client to connect to the game servers over port 80 (HTTP) instead of 6112 (commonly used for games).Some ISPs may prioritize traffic at certain times, and some networks may block port 6112. This may be useful to avoid such scenarios.Some ISPs, networks, and other forms of MITM attacks may modify traffic on port 80 which will lead to issues with the GW2 client if this option is used.

-clientport 443Instructs the client to connect to the game servers over port 443 (HTTPS) instead of 6112 (commonly used for games).Some ISPs may prioritize traffic at certain times, and some networks may block port 6112. This may be useful to avoid such scenarios.Some ISPs, networks, and other forms of MITM attacks may modify traffic on port 443 which will lead to issues with the GW2 client if this option is used (this is less-likely to occur than with port 80).

I'm going to try both of these, to see if connection issues persist. Other than that, I could try to diagnose this issue through a game dump file, and see what might cause this.

Update: I did skip the cinematic, but it still didn't kick me out. So -clientport 80 seems to work, for now. May I kindly request the rest of the community to give these options a try, so I can compile some data on whether this was a fluke or viable solution for the time being.

Just here to advise this issue is still going on. Doing the Deadeyestory mission....3 times...as each time I get to the middle platform, and the deadeye tells me to 'Do It'...I crash out to character select.

Not gonna bother now. Games are supposed to be fun, not hard work.

I had a similar problem. My pc disconnect when I saw a dragon with some special effects that was not a cut scene.

I play on NVIDIA graphics card which driver is always up to date. So the problem must be in connection with some other drivers (Intel graphics card, firmware etc.) which werent up to date, At least in my case.

Thought I would come here and post yet another wacky possible solution that is probably just coincidentally working and will unravel as a solution over more playtime, but here goes...

Since using the d912pxy driver (which contrary to my initial expectations actually does increase FPS significantly) I did not crash at all over the course of several story instances.

Yesterday after an update to the game the d912pxy redirect stopped working (you can tell because d912pxy has a bug that makes character portraits on the select screen not show properly, and rivatuner verified I was running dx9) and I had a disconnect during a cutscene.

Coincidence? Maybe. But it's worth a shot to use d912pxy since it has worked flawlessly for me and all you have to lose is... well actually you can really only gain since the game will likely run better for you.

PS if you do choose to try it, I would use a gw2 addon manager to install/uninstall d912pxy for simplicity.

Good luck.

PPS I got d912pxy working again by looking fixing some game flags in the registry as is described in the online Readme. Plus it got the mount radial menu up and running which I could never get to work before!