Actually, i don't like whisper

I don't know if it's all the returning players or what, but i'm starting to hate this strike. Stacking feels nigh impossible for boon sharing towards the end with so many mechanics. It also doesn't feel like rezzing is worth it either. Literally finish a rez and the next one pops and kills someone else. I feel like before, the end was always a poop show, but there was enough dps to get us through it, even without stacking (and no one was really going for specific comps).

Is there any proper guide on this? Someone has have to have figured out some cheese.

@Firebeard.1746 said:I don't know if it's all the returning players or what, but i'm starting to hate this strike. Stacking feels nigh impossible for boon sharing towards the end with so many mechanics. It also doesn't feel like rezzing is worth it either. Literally finish a rez and the next one pops and kills someone else. I feel like before, the end was always a poop show, but there was enough dps to get us through it, even without stacking (and no one was really going for specific comps).

Is there any proper guide on this? Someone has have to have figured out some cheese.

If people feel like they can't really cheese a boss, that's a good sign in Kitty's books as then the boss is more than just a glorified dps golem that many actual raid bosses have become (which is why Kitty personally likes it).But even then, good dps helps a lot and a good heal scourge even more so (and Kitty's not talking about mere ressbot but also barrierbot/boonbot while at it but only those who have watched Kitty's exploits on Youtube know how powerful it can be).Boons-wise, a good scepter+warhorn tempest (aka Auramancer) helps a ton due to Heat Sync's and shouts' massive ranges.So Kitty would personally do stuff like auramancer+healscourge+healbrand (mace+shield) or 2 staff/axe+shield healbrands+staff tempest/heal scrapper (heal scrapper has the strongest heals in the whole game and 2nd strongest resses(Function Gyro+Toss Elixir R) if played properly).Some people (especially raiders) look for druids but to be honest, druid is really weak for a boss like that. It already has weak heals if mightbotting (just slightly above other boonbotting meme healers like heal deadeye and heal chrono) and its main heals are burst-type centered on itself so especially if you're running dual-healer comp with druid as main healer, the heals mightn't be enough (pun intended) unless the squad does mechs well and druid actually knows how to heal properly (which has already been an issue in raids, to be honest, as lots of people just make a druid to have a healer-option available if really needed but don't bother with actually learning it).

@Firebeard.1746 said:I don't know if it's all the returning players or what, but i'm starting to hate this strike. Stacking feels nigh impossible for boon sharing towards the end with so many mechanics. It also doesn't feel like rezzing is worth it either. Literally finish a rez and the next one pops and kills someone else. I feel like before, the end was always a poop show, but there was enough dps to get us through it, even without stacking (and no one was really going for specific comps).

At <25% you can place a Flesh Wurm (or any other Summon) in the center of the Hit Box, causing all the exploding orbs to detonate directly on the boss, allowing the entire Squad to safely stack a bit out of melee range.

Keep in mind though that this turns the area directly around the boss into an instant kill zone, so a bare minimum of coordination and brain is still required (and using the strategy should previously be communicated).

@LadyKitty.6120 said:

If people feel like they can't really cheese a boss, that's a good sign in Kitty's books as then the boss is more than just a glorified dps golem that many actual raid bosses have become (which is why Kitty personally likes it).But even then, good dps helps a lot and a good heal scourge even more so (and Kitty's not talking about mere ressbot but also barrierbot/boonbot while at it but only those who have watched Kitty's exploits on Youtube know how powerful it can be).Boons-wise, a good scepter+warhorn tempest (aka Auramancer) helps a ton due to Heat Sync's and shouts' massive ranges.So Kitty would personally do stuff like auramancer+healscourge+healbrand (mace+shield) or 2 staff/axe+shield healbrands+staff tempest/heal scrapper (heal scrapper has the strongest heals in the whole game and 2nd strongest resses(Function Gyro+Toss Elixir R) if played properly).Some people (especially raiders) look for druids but to be honest, druid is really weak for a boss like that. It already has weak heals if mightbotting (just slightly above other boonbotting meme healers like heal deadeye and heal chrono) and its main heals are burst-type centered on itself so especially if you're running dual-healer comp with druid as main healer, the heals mightn't be enough (pun intended) unless the squad does mechs well and druid actually knows how to heal properly (which has already been an issue in raids, to be honest, as lots of people just make a druid to have a healer-option available if really needed but don't bother with actually learning it).

These are good strategies, but when the bosses mechanics don't even jive well with raid meta comps, the question is what role does the boss play? Especially when it's raid intro content. I'll try running in my auramancer and seeing if i can get someone to block orbs.

Boneskinner only has one true mechanic and that's dodging the party aoe, but that keeps it from being a glorified damage golem. I still feel like it's puggable right now as long as you have healers. This many mechanics doesn't.

@LadyKitty.6120 said:

Also kitty, auramancer worked like a charm. I did take an extra healer as the end phases get a little dicey and everyone is spread out. I used earth attunment trait line for extra protection, my squad felt way more durable. I guess I won't be disconinuing use of my tempest healer support any time soon even though I just geared up a druid. I also marked my healers with my commander tag, I think that helped as well. We did have a healbrand. I think we had 2.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

Also kitty, auramancer worked like a charm. I did take an extra healer as the end phases get a little dicey and everyone is spread out. I used earth attunment trait line for extra protection, my squad felt way more durable. I guess I won't be disconinuing use of my tempest healer support any time soon even though I just geared up a druid. I also marked my healers with my commander tag, I think that helped as well. We did have a healbrand. I think we had 2.

Your druic can give 10 protection with traited stone spirit and 100% boon duration. Spam the flip skill of it (Quicksand).

@DirtyDan.4759 said:

Your druic can give 10 protection with traited stone spirit and 100% boon duration. Spam the flip skill of it (Quicksand).

Good to know, but i think shouts have larger range and can incidentally give more healing with elemental bastion, which is ideal for the last phase. Also, the flash freeze shout gives a large radius of aoe healing.

@Mad Queen Malafide.7512 said:It is one of the few Strike Missions that requires a bit more coordination. Players need to learn the mechanics and when to dodge. I like that there is a strike mission that is somewhere in between casual and raid level difficulty. But yeah, if you join a random group, most of the time players will be down on the ground.

The end phase is not coordination or dodging. What usually happens is the group can't stack again because there's 5 different mechanics going on at once (so no heals, no boons, or they're very sparse). I'm sure there's more holes for stacking and boon sharing in most raid encounters. In fact, I don't think any of the raid encounters I've done have been that crazy at the end. Soulless horror is hard, but it's still not bullet hell. And I'm not sure a raid that was comprised only of WoJ's end phase is doable, or if it is, requires very niche builds & ranged stacking, which is nothing that this community does right now, and I would argue inappropriate for beginning content.

• 2 weeks later...

The final phase of Whisper of Jormag isn't that bad. Yes, things get a little more exciting near the end, but if my glass cannon can stay alive on her own during that phase, then so should anyone else be able to. Especially if there's also a healer in the group.

A necromancer placing a Flesh Wurm can block a lot of the projectiles that spawn. The icycles still require a well timed dodge, but the party should know this dodge by now. If the party is spread out a bit, the chains should be no issue either. Just keep your distance when the balls spawn, and go in for dps when they stop, then back away again. I think what kills the most players, is failing to dodge the icycles (because they can't get the timing down) and trying to res a party member and getting killed in the process.

This is one of those fights where you should not rely on healing through all the damage. You must dodge those icycles.

@Mad Queen Malafide.7512 said:The final phase of Whisper of Jormag isn't that bad. Yes, things get a little more exciting near the end, but if my glass cannon can stay alive on her own during that phase, then so should anyone else be able to. Especially if there's also a healer in the group.

A necromancer placing a Flesh Wurm can block a lot of the projectiles that spawn. The icycles still require a well timed dodge, but the party should know this dodge by now. If the party is spread out a bit, the chains should be no issue either. Just keep your distance when the balls spawn, and go in for dps when they stop, then back away again. I think what kills the most players, is failing to dodge the icycles (because they can't get the timing down) and trying to res a party member and getting killed in the process.

This is one of those fights where you should not rely on healing through all the damage. You must dodge those icycles.

I usually Cringe when I do it weekly and am still struggling on learning the mechanics on that phase. O my favorite was when I got the green and then the icicles spawned at the same time. I think that was last week. Sure, make us stack deadly AOE in order to avoid another deadly AOE. it doesn't feel properly scripted.

@Firebeard.1746 said:I usually Cringe when I do it weekly and am still struggling on learning the mechanics on that phase. O my favorite was when I got the green and then the icicles spawned at the same time. I think that was last week. Sure, make us stack deadly AOE in order to avoid another deadly AOE. it doesn't feel properly scripted.

You're not wrong. As the fight progresses, there is definitely the potential for multiple attacks stacking at the same time. This is why killing Whisper as fast as possible is important. Another thing that I've noticed, is that the timing on the icycles is not consistent. They appear to drop slow at the start and faster the longer the fight lasts. This often throws people off.

@Firebeard.1746 said:I usually Cringe when I do it weekly and am still struggling on learning the mechanics on that phase. O my favorite was when I got the green and then the icicles spawned at the same time. I think that was last week. Sure, make us stack deadly AOE in order to avoid another deadly AOE. it doesn't feel properly scripted.That's why in less skilled groups it is usually just better to leave the person with green alone to get downed and ress them just after (and use only one-two nearest people to do the ressing). Green damages only people within the green, so the worst case is one person dies, but rest are fine - but if you stack and get another mechanic that discourages stacking, like icicles, or chains, or orbs, you risk most of your party wiping.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually like this Strike.I feel its a very balanced strike. With Shiverpeaks being the easiest and Boneskinner is tough (I know the mechanics, but havnt been able to pug it successfully/also avoid it)

I'm a pug only player and I can clear Whisper with a good group that knows what to do and fail in a good group that doesnt know what to do.But it isnt overly punishing and there's always a chance of winning even if a couple of players do not know how to win.

I play Healbrand and its exciting during the end phases as skills like Bow of Truth and Merciful Intervention (the clutch res if it procs is soooo satisfying) become really useful.

I think Anet should plan a couple more strikes around this difficulty as I find it a sweet spot as a pugger.

@Asum.4960 said:

At <25% you can place a Flesh Wurm (or any other Summon) in the center of the Hit Box, causing all the exploding orbs to detonate directly on the boss, allowing the entire Squad to safely stack a bit out of melee range.

Keep in mind though that this turns the area directly around the boss into an instant kill zone, so a bare minimum of coordination and brain is still required (and using the strategy should previously be communicated).

You can also use druid's staff 5 and pet to block a large cone of the explosions.

I don't like the forced knock ups.Also it appears Whisper and Boneskinner has attacks that are inpair with the actual telegraph, you have to dodge even before the red circle fills up to avoid getting hit because of ping isusses or I have no idea why, and weirdly enough this doesn't even happen in other raid/fractal bosses. Bothers me a lot since you're just learning to anticipate instead of just dodging on reaction.

I don't mind how f*cky the last 25% part is, its really doable but the main issue and the real run killer is player's DPS greeding.