Please make Sunless weapons obtainable

The only problem that I have with RNG is the long tails on the distribution. They should set it up so the "probability of getting it on the Nth drop" cuts off at some maximum N that they pick. In other words, the distribution should be bounded so that some poor unlucky souls don't just NEVER get it through no fault of their own.

@TheNecrosanct.4028 said:I understand his frustration. But I agree there's nothing wrong with having skins that are only obtainable through rare RNG drops. It just sucks for OP that it just so happens to be a skin set he wants. I have the same issue now with Scion weapons. But I'm not advocating for a more guaranteed way to obtain them. Some things should require patience and dedication. This is an MMO, after all.

The problem with this is that RNG is NOT patience and dedication, it's luck. If you're unlucky, you could literally never get a single skin despite putting in just as much work and dedication as someone else who got the whole set. It's just luck, period. That's why the drop should be guaranteed after N runs. Whether you do that through a currency or by carefully choosing the probabilities, doesn't matter to me, it has the same effect. Although I prefer a currency because it's easier to keep track of your progress.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Tails.9372 said:

@Emberstone.2904 said:I'm 100% for a guaranteed-over-time sort of thing for this.Not just this, you should also be able to use unique map currencies to buy other kinds of ultra rare meta drops e.g. Vial of Liquid Aurillium for Lumps of Aurillium and Pile of Auric Dust.

I mean you get an infusion you done plus you can buy them. The weapon collections are 16 weapons and account bound so it's quite different from I can't get a rare drop once vs I need to get that rare drop 16 times and have to only depend on rng.

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Emberstone.2904 said:I'm 100% for a guaranteed-over-time sort of thing for this.Not just this, you should also be able to use unique map currencies to buy other kinds of ultra rare meta drops e.g. Vial of Liquid Aurillium for Lumps of Aurillium and Pile of Auric Dust.

I mean you get an infusion you done plus you can buy them. The weapon collections are 16 weapons and account bound so it's quite different from I can't get a rare drop once vs I need to get that rare drop 16 times and have to only depend on rng.Not if it's an aura infusion. You usually need 18 (iirc) to get the full effect and unlike skins infusion effects don't unlock for your account so if you want the full effect on multiple characters it's either transferring all of your infusions every time you swap chars or have fun farming.

@Roche.7491 said:

@SevlisBavles.3059 said:Spoons as a trade-in currency, Spoons + Sunless runes as a trade-in currency, 250 of them, 500 of them, I don't care.

I'd rather kill Tequatl 200 times knowing I'll get it in the end than doing him 100+ times and getting absolutely nothing.

Sunless skins are perfect for Necros and for some are pretty much the ONLY choice. Don't lock them behind stupid RNG. It's been years now, please change it.

If you wait for Anet. It’ll take forever or never since Zhaitan is done for.

Just now, I got a hoard. And it’s just my second run. I’ll keep on farming and hope for a 2nd one. Just keep farming daily and you’ll get there.

Playing since launch and used to grind teq when they changed him cause I wanted the skin. Never dropped and I'm done playing an event I've grinded into oblivion for a skin I will never acquire. The nature of rng is that some of us will never get it regardless of effort. Add another acquisition method or remove the account bound thing. Better yet, make it exotic so ascended weapons stay off the trading post (seems like that is a thing.)

@Tails.9372 said:

I mean you get an infusion you done plus you can buy them. The weapon collections are 16 weapons and account bound so it's quite different from I can't get a rare drop once vs I need to get that rare drop 16 times and have to only depend on rng.Not if it's an aura infusion. You usually need 18 (iirc) to get the full effect and unlike skins infusion effects don't unlock for your account so if you want the full effect on multiple characters it's either transferring all of your infusions every time you swap chars or have fun farming.

Ok, I never knew that. I just watch a video after you said and it showed the progression of 6 auric one's. Def insane if it keeps going to 18. I do still think I could get the gold for 18 way before 16 teq hoards but yeah that is some grind to look perty

TBH i agree with this. Any Account Bound drop should be far far easier to obtain. Tequatl, Scion and Wurm boxes specifically. Rare drops are okay, i love them, but they should be rare and tradeable. Not, rare and not tradeable, thus creating the problem of players never obtaining them.

@Tails.9372 said:

@"Emberstone.2904" said:I'm 100% for a guaranteed-over-time sort of thing for this.Not just this, you should also be able to use unique map currencies to buy other kinds of ultra rare meta drops e.g. Vial of Liquid Aurillium for Lumps of Aurillium and Pile of Auric Dust.

The "full effect"? You get the full effect with 1 infusion. Adding others to it means you're stacking the effect. You don't get 1/18 of the effect with just 1 infusion. That's not how it works. It may be you see aura infusions that way, but with drops so rare as these infusions they were never meant to be so numerous you could fill every infusion slot with one, let alone across multiple characters. Not even the luckiest among us will ever get that many, unless they farm enormous amounts of gold.

@"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:The "full effect"? You get the full effect with 1 infusion. Adding others to it means you're stacking the effect.Nope, depending on the infusion it's more than just "stacking intensity". Take the Vial of Liquid Aurillium for example, using just one gets you a "glow" effect but after equiping a certain number of them you also get to see "sparkles" and even if it is just "stacking intensity" you still have the fact that EQing 18 of them looks secnificantly different than just EQing one which depending on your other gear might not even be noticable.

@"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:Not even the luckiest among us will ever get that many, unless they farm enormous amounts of gold.Which is a problem in and of itself because it takes away replayability from the associated content. Why farm the map it originated from when running [insert gold farm here] is almost infinitely more efficient? It's just bad game design. Making people "work for it" is one thing but putting it behind a massive RNG wall which only discourages people from farming the respective content is just counterproductive.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@SevlisBavles.3059 said:Sunless skins are perfect for Necros and for some are pretty much the ONLY choice.A recolor of the standard Ascended....With how many weapon skins in this game?

Nope.

It looks like any ascended skin, true, but it also oozes a black vapour when drawn.An asthaetic designed with almost exclusively necromancers in mind

And this is why it's so backwards to put it behind RNG since they're such classic skins for a certain profession.

@SevlisBavles.3059 said:

@SevlisBavles.3059 said:Sunless skins are perfect for Necros and for some are pretty much the ONLY choice.A recolor of the standard Ascended....With how many weapon skins in this game?

Nope.

It looks like any ascended skin, true, but it also oozes a black vapour when drawn.An asthaetic designed with almost exclusively necromancers in mind

And this is why it's so backwards to put it behind RNG since they're such classic skins for a certain profession.

To you they are but that doesn’t mean everyone else feels the same way. For example, I don’t care for them on mine.

@Trise.2865 said:

@SevlisBavles.3059 said:I'd rather kill Tequatl 200 times knowing I'll get it in the end than doing him 100+ times and getting absolutely nothing.

This is a contradictory statement. In both scenarios, you know you are getting nothing between 100-200 runs.

Not really because 200 would get you 1 where in theory you could go 500+ and get none in the current system. I assume they want the spoon trade in but you still get the rng chance too not one or the other

@Trise.2865 said:

@SevlisBavles.3059 said:I'd rather kill Tequatl 200 times knowing I'll get it in the end than doing him 100+ times and getting absolutely nothing.

This is a contradictory statement. In both scenarios, you know you are getting nothing between 100-200 runs.

No it isn't. Either I'd be at 100 knowing I could go 100 more and have it, or I'd be at 100 and knowing I could go 400 more and still not have it, and never have it.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Nope.

To you they are but that doesn’t mean everyone else feels the same way. For example, I don’t care for them on mine.

I fail to say how not caring about something is an argument against it.If you have nothing to gain or lose here, why advocate against it?

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

Nope.

I fail to say how not caring about something is an argument against it.If you have nothing to gain or lose here, why advocate against it?

You missed what the argument was about.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

Nope.

That sums up pretty much anyone who advocates against it, I don't get it.

People love to oppose things. It's fun. Especially when there is clearly nothing to get from it.It's also called white knighting, something people do so they can feel important because their stance lines up with what the people in charge supposedly want.The best of the best then say stuff like: WeLl, I dOnT cARe, sO I aM aGaInST iT, yOu sEe?In reality they just want things to stay difficult for others.I remember when the wardrobe was added how some people got stinky because some skins were brought back to the game - like that S1 tentacle backpiece for example.It's just people being dicks.

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:The stats on sunless May be perfect for necros as you deem, however, the skin is just that: a skin.

The stats, which make the weapons ‘perfect for necros’ can be obtained in many other ways.

There is no problem allowing skins to be obtainable by RNG.

He never said anything about stats. This is purely a skin issue. And yes, it does take years to get a fair amount of the weapons. I've done Tequatl on a daily basis for about 3 years, round and about, and have 6 Sunless skins in total. That's 2 per year on average. Considering there are 19 skins, it'll take about 9 to 10 years to get them all.

Lucky you, I've done teq more times than I can count over the years and never gotten a horde drop.

Suffice to say I give up on this skin set a good while ago.. the RNG on is too punishing on the unlucky.

I'm honestly under the impression that the more you play the worse RNG treats you :)People who hop in and out of the game be dropping fractal tonics, precursors and infusions while I get to see none of that, ever

@Clyan.1593 said:People love to oppose things. It's fun. Especially when there is clearly nothing to get from it.It's also called white knighting, something people do so they can feel important because their stance lines up with what the people in charge supposedly want.The best of the best then say stuff like: WeLl, I dOnT cARe, sO I aM aGaInST iT, yOu sEe?In reality they just want things to stay difficult for others.I remember when the wardrobe was added how some people got stinky because some skins were brought back to the game - like that S1 tentacle backpiece for example.It's just people being kitten.

That is so true! o:It's really off putting and makes the forum appear toxic and unwelcoming when old players turn practically hostile towards often sensible suggestions.They did it the hard way so it has to stay like that for anyone attempting to do the same - even if they have years of catching up to do.Best example was the shatterer achievement - someone kept shooting down the opener for suggesting very reasonable changes, kept calling the event easy and posting on and on against any changes... Told them to go show the opener how to do it since it's easy... Suddenly they stopped posting. Quite sad tbh

On topic: The skins should be purchasable, the actual ascended can stay a drop imo.

@Friday.7864 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:The stats on sunless May be perfect for necros as you deem, however, the skin is just that: a skin.

The stats, which make the weapons ‘perfect for necros’ can be obtained in many other ways.

There is no problem allowing skins to be obtainable by RNG.

He never said anything about stats. This is purely a skin issue. And yes, it does take years to get a fair amount of the weapons. I've done Tequatl on a daily basis for about 3 years, round and about, and have 6 Sunless skins in total. That's 2 per year on average. Considering there are 19 skins, it'll take about 9 to 10 years to get them all.

Lucky you, I've done teq more times than I can count over the years and never gotten a horde drop.

Suffice to say I give up on this skin set a good while ago.. the RNG on is too punishing on the unlucky.

I'm honestly under the impression that the more you play the worse RNG treats you :)People who hop in and out of the game be dropping fractal tonics, precursors and infusions while I get to see none of that, ever

HA!! Im quite inclined to agree with you there man.I've had friends that only played for about 6 months and they got Hordes on their first Teq runs, some got random precursor drops from open world events and so many high quality exotics worth a good chunk of gold.

I'm just sitting there with all my trash rewards thinking, So this is what I get for 8 years of loyal support huh lmfao.Seriously though it really does feel like some accounts are cursed with bad RNG while others are exceptionally lucky.

We cant get that skin by swapping the stats on mystic forge?

EDIT: i checked wiki, oh yeah they had unique effects.

"Appearance-wise, the Weapons of the Sunless are similar to the colored Antique skins used for crafted ascended weapons. However they have a unique color scheme (black metal, accented with green), and emit dark smoke particles while drawn."

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weapons_of_the_Sunless

@SevlisBavles.3059 said:Make it excotic, who cares about it being ascended, by the time you've done Tequatl enough to earn enough tokens or whatever to buy it you've got ascendeds falling out your kitten

That's a fair point. I remember when I first started GW2, I did Teq to try and snag a free ascended weapon. Now I have a tab of unopened chests, but the Teq weapon skins would still be of interest.

I wish ANET would rethink their strategy here, and offer skins more easily, while leaving actual stat selectable weapons as the rare RNG drop.