Necro has a Serious Weapon Problem

DEATHsCLAW.1978

• 3 weeks later...

@LucianDK.8615 said:So with expansion 3 on the way. What weapon might a necro get for the third espec? I consider it quite certain that there will be another espec.I cant imagine they will get bows or guns, and offhands is more than covered.

With necros in need of more mainhands, I think sword or mace is the prime contenders. Sword from looking at the Weaver and Holosmith. But I think mace might be the sleeper hit. Some kind of Priest of Grenth? Priest and cleric types have generally been portrayed with maces.

Longbow that shoot bone arrows and shadow arrows ?With F-skills converting Life Force into extra damage or self utility ? (no shroud, similar to Scourge)

@Kulvar.1239 said:

@LucianDK.8615 said:So with expansion 3 on the way. What weapon might a necro get for the third espec? I consider it quite certain that there will be another espec.I cant imagine they will get bows or guns, and offhands is more than covered.

With necros in need of more mainhands, I think sword or mace is the prime contenders. Sword from looking at the Weaver and Holosmith. But I think mace might be the sleeper hit. Some kind of Priest of Grenth? Priest and cleric types have generally been portrayed with maces.

Longbow that shoot bone arrows and shadow arrows ?With F-skills converting Life Force into extra damage or self utility ? (no shroud, similar to Scourge)So we get another spec that is a freekill in smallscale and 1v1. Please don't!

@KrHome.1920 said:

Longbow that shoot bone arrows and shadow arrows ?With F-skills converting Life Force into extra damage or self utility ? (no shroud, similar to Scourge)So we get another spec that is a freekill in smallscale and 1v1. Please don't!

Absolutely !Use the new elite to give Necro DPS effective builds for endgame PvE.Fix Reaper/Scourge so they're not a freekill in smallscale and 1v1. With Scourge being useless as DPS when built for heal/support/sturdiness.

As WvW player, I think all necro weapons have their use, but I do have some ideas:StaffThe marks have laughable conditions and power damage, it is only picked to track stealth and for some cleanse. It could use some damage buffs. Taking unblockable marks is trolling because you actually want your 0 damage skills to get blocked. Thus only people that run staff are ones that can't rely on their teammates for cleanse.

WarhornReduce cooldowns to 24 second (baseline), removing warhorn trait for a real trait. Reduce range of WH 4 to 450 and increase radius of WH5 to 240 so you don't have to stand on top of enemies (bad strat) to hit it

GreatswordGravedigger should deal 20% extra damage if hitting targets that are downed or below 50%, it is literally not worth casting over other skills due to having long casttime and same DPS as other skills while doing nothing else.

DaggersFeels bad. the 2 skill is basically axe 2 but less range, it should feel more impactful (so more damage or healing). Dagger 4 should be unblockable. The dagger trait could also use a rework.

ScepterReliant on running curses and traiting it. Id say make devouring darkness baseline but reduce both damage and increase cooldown of it by around 20% in WvW and PvP. Make the curses trait reduce the cooldowns of scepter skills by 20%

Focus/Torch/AxeThey're good as they are

The main problem with necro weapons is the dam stupid cast times. all staff marks should be instant as the CDs are long for besides staff2 and its not really that damaging. also utilities like flesh wurm etc etc. Anything beyond 1/2s is too much. that's why the class pales in comparison to others and is the most uncomfortable one to play. Hell even nerf damage more as long as we could rely on the instant casts and would be nowhere near OP.

@Mikhael.2391 said:The main problem with necro weapons is the dam stupid cast times. all staff marks should be instant as the CDs are long for besides staff2 and its not really that damaging. also utilities like flesh wurm etc etc. Anything beyond 1/2s is too much. that's why the class pales in comparison to others and is the most uncomfortable one to play. Hell even nerf damage more as long as we could rely on the instant casts and would be nowhere near OP.

Do NOT touch the damage Reaper has. Just no. I agree that casting times are long and if they were reduced, the floor will rise. But nerfing dps on a spec that already struggles with dps is like beating a horse when it's down.

@Methuselah.4376 said:

@Mikhael.2391 said:The main problem with necro weapons is the dam stupid cast times. all staff marks should be instant as the CDs are long for besides staff2 and its not really that damaging. also utilities like flesh wurm etc etc. Anything beyond 1/2s is too much. that's why the class pales in comparison to others and is the most uncomfortable one to play. Hell even nerf damage more as long as we could rely on the instant casts and would be nowhere near OP.

Do NOT touch the damage Reaper has. Just no. I agree that casting times are long and if they were reduced, the floor will rise. But nerfing dps on a spec that already struggles with dps is like beating a horse when it's down.

Nerf Reapers damage more... Would end up making them heal enemies with their attacks xD

@Taril.8619 said:

@"Mikhael.2391" said:The main problem with necro weapons is the dam stupid cast times. all staff marks should be instant as the CDs are long for besides staff2 and its not really that damaging. also utilities like flesh wurm etc etc. Anything beyond 1/2s is too much. that's why the class pales in comparison to others and is the most uncomfortable one to play. Hell even nerf damage more as long as we could rely on the instant casts and would be nowhere near OP.

Nerf Reapers damage more... Would end up making them heal enemies with their attacks xD

Can you imagine? XD"We gonna hit you so hard we actually make you feel better!"

• 1 year later...

Necro in PVE only need some changes to make it better.  The biggest problem is Necro in PvP/WvW.  Everything becomes an issue in WvW.  For starters, Necros have way too much cast time.  Take "chill to the bone" for example....  You'll never get that off if you're swarmed by enemies because the window of time to cast it requires the ability to be an instant cast.  On top of that, its range is pathetic!  Enemies have to be glued to you before you cast it and that is even more reason why it needs to be instant cast.  Almost all of the Necro's abilities are cast-time-based instead of intant cast.

Life Force not going back up out of combat....  That one is completely flawed!  If you hit zero life force in WvW, and it happens...trust me....(a little life force doesn't help because you need full shroud)  And you just happen to get attacked by a second player...  Guess what?  You're beat because life force is huge to the Necro and the fact we have to go and kill a bunch of NPCs to get it up before another encounter is absolutely absurd!!  We're the only class that has this issue to such degree!!!  That's a HUGE disadvantage in WvW/PvP!

Life Force drains way too fast!  It's one thing to not let it return out of combat, but to make it go from full to zero in a matter of seconds in shroud, is brain dead!  You don't have to get hit either, just being in shroud will make life force vanish in seconds.

Conditions are too weak....  With all the bullet-proofing other classes have, conditions need to be stronger if they're going to have a helpful effect for the Necro.  Otherwise as a condi, all you're attacks are going to be stratches because dropping conditions is what you do but if these OP, bullet-proofing class are just going to brush it off....  You're going to come up short in combat ever time and if you're missing life force by a large amount, you don't even have a chance.

Everything can't just be about power and berzerking!  Sadly, with GW2's poor design, it's all about power and berzerking with OP classes in PvP.  Necros are hunted in WvW like they're deer or something because players know they're the weakest/slowest class with pathetic DOTs if condi.  The only way to survive as a Necro a little is to go Power but you're not even giving players a choice to play how they want to play because you're basically forcing power builds because conditions suck so bad.

Just today in WvW, a player mentioned how bad the Necro is in team chat (basically stating what I have been stating in forums).  I wish players like that would grow a pair and post how they feel in the forums so the "Devs" can see/read just how bad their concepts are.  A lot of players know this stuff but are afraid to come out and just say it because they fear a "Dev" running on his thief in WvW is going to see them on and go into "God Mode" and shread them apart. ..........   ..............    .............   Of course that's not what those players are afraid of, I was just trying to point out something that should be obvious but I'm sure a lot of you are not going to be aware of what's actually going on anyway.

YOU"RE ALL DEVELOPER RABBITS!!!!!!

Anyway...

GW2 is not even a top three....  Sorry....  It's not.  Too many bad concepts and unbalance.  Warcraft sucked but was better in a lot of areas.  Age of Conan was better (awesome actually, especially when it first released as an adult game) but didn't keep promises made, as far as game content, and players got pissed and left.  Lotro is better in a lot of areas but the game has really bad performance issues; amazingly...players are still playing lotro to this day.  They're like level 150 now or something like that on Lotro.

Man...  Their was an MMORPG years ago....  I can't remember the name but it might have been called, "Spellbind"..."Spellbound...?" or something like that.  THAT GAME WAS AWESOME!!!!  For starters, gear was not stat based!  Gear was only used as cosmetics.  Your base stats were built through leveling and the combat system....  OMG the combat system!!!!!  The combat system was all mechanics and action based!!!  Very little clicking to do and because the game didn't have any gear unbalancing, did not have bullet-proofing, did not have speed boosts, zero OP classes....  You really had to be good at combat!  I can't remember the name of the class I had but man the weapons I used and the fact you had to manually dodge, block, evade, etc.....  I WENT STRAIGHT GOD OF WAR ON ENEMIES!!!!  I believe I had stances with my class too, which change the point of attack in combat.

That game I would put straight at the top of them all!  Number one!  Huge player database right up until the last day!

Sadly the game was developed by a small company that didn't have the funds to push it mainstream like a World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy 14 online but man...  Who ever those developers were....  They had ideas that would have easily made that mmorpg one of the greatest mmos ever made!  It broke my heart when the game ended and the servers were sold off.  Some players actually started crying....that's how beloved and good the game was.  Players were stuck on the game mostly because you couldn't be good by wearing top gear and clicking actions on an action bar.  You really had to dodge, block or evade at the right moment and drop the right attacks at the right moment and you had to link combo attacks on your own.  Was not a game for five year olds...that's for sure!

To be so close to having something that was truly a master piece in the making, only to lose it because of lack of marketing funds.....  ..........  We may never see an mmorpg done right, folks.  😞  Bullet-proofing, weak DOTs, constant vanishing, 30 shadow-stepping, immune to all damage, instant full heals, 10+k ranged attacks, ability affects with timers so low they're not even effective, armor types that mean nothing, indestructible gyro/blobs due to bullet-proofing, gear-based power up and click system.....  IS ALL YOU'RE GOING TO GET!!!!

LMAO!

PS, I might have used the  terms "zerg" and "zerk" in some of my posts to refer to berzerkers.  Didn't realize "zerg" was a WvW thing until I got into it for the L. armor.

regards

"To be a dirty rat...  Is to be a Master Splinter." - gargamel

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/23/2020 at 4:12 PM, KrHome.1920 said:

Okay, I am talking about the competitive modes:

Greatsword:

• Every skill on GS has its uses.
  • The autoattack is good when your target tries to kite you and you run speed rune.
  • GS2 has its full potential when combo'd with GS5 (cast, stow weapon, grave digger). If you can't do that, because you are already at melee range or GS5 is on cooldown, it's still good to bait a dodge, enter shroud and start to nuke.
  • GS3 deals the most damage of all GS skills, has a moderate cooldown, some nice range, generates life force and applies vulnerability. It's always worth to use and a very underestimated skill.
  • GS4: you mentioned it: a great defensive tool.
  • GS5: tricky to use due to the small cone, but a pull is always nice when your heavy attacks (reaper shroud) are all melee ranged.

Greatsword is one of the best weapons in the game.

what?.

u are aware Greatsword isnt Used in compettiive modes but only in PvE meta wise right? Axe+Warhorn / Staff is the PvP Set up and Scourge is used in WvWvW.

it seems weird ur trying to its one of the best weapons in the game... .which Meta wise is Weaker then a Other weapon on the same proffession lol, its Not one of the best weapons in the game. GS Abilities are too Slow and they also are proven to Net Less Life force Per minute then multiple other options.. which on reaper being so reliant on shroud for damage just makes it a worse option.

Greatsword is Cool. it has Nice attacks. but it isnt great in SPVP

On 4/23/2020 at 11:26 PM, Kodama.6453 said:

think everyone here overlooks that Gravedigger reduces it's cooldown by 100% if it hits a foe below 50% health. It resets completely. I get the feeling that this contributes to it's power alot and if people want it to hit faster, then this functionality should get removed.

maybe for PvP exclusively but to nerf that in PvE Would be defintly hugely impactful.

tbh.. i dont think Greatsword needs changing its a Elite weapon and if we're looking broadly Dagger / Axe / Warhorn / Scepter etc etc changes would be far more impactful across the board.. Reapers found its place in SPVP and it doesnt use greatsword to begin with.

1 hour ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

And I see QQing over necro having too much burst in competitive and never loses the shroud, wanting the shroud nerfed.

if people are honestly QQing over reaper shroud its a l2p issue.

Reaper is Fine these days, Someone necro'd a topic from 2020 which cried on shroud (i didnt play back then so i dunno what it was like) but Reapers in a Fine place today realistically. Shroud comes at the cost of having 0 active defensive abilities.. it evens itself out realistically.. and its rare to run with a full bar of life force in active PvP situations as it doesnt build that fast that you can keep uptime on it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Horace.3184 said:

Sadly the game was developed by a small company that didn't have the funds to push it mainstream like a World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy 14 online but man...  Who ever those developers were....  They had ideas that would have easily made that mmorpg one of the greatest mmos ever made!  It broke my heart when the game ended and the servers were sold off.  Some players actually started crying....that's how beloved and good the game was.  Players were stuck on the game mostly because you couldn't be good by wearing top gear and clicking actions on an action bar.  You really had to dodge, block or evade at the right moment and drop the right attacks at the right moment and you had to link combo attacks on your own.  Was not a game for five year olds...that's for sure!

games dont shut down because their popular.. they shut down because the game isnt popular enough.. even if it did hold some level of community that loved it.

st today in WvW, a player mentioned how bad the Necro is in team chat (basically stating what I have been stating in forums).  I wish players like that would grow a pair and post how they feel in the forums so the "Devs" can see/read just how bad their concepts are.  A lot of players know this stuff but are afraid to come out and just say it because they fear a "Dev" running on his thief in WvW is going to see them on and go into "God Mode" and shread them apart. ..........   ..............    .............   Of course that's not what those players are afraid of, I was just trying to point out something that should be obvious but I'm sure a lot of you are not going to be aware of what's actually going on anyway.

Scourge is good in WvWvW though? Lmfao.. theres a Streamer that actively continously shows its strengths in WvWvW Reaper aint great no.. nor is core necro, but Scourge does Pretty well in a WvWvW enviroment

Necro in PVE only need some changes to make it better.  The biggest problem is Necro in PvP/WvW.  Everything becomes an issue in WvW.  For starters, Necros have way too much cast time.  Take "chill to the bone" for example....  You'll never get that off if you're swarmed by enemies because the window of time to cast it requires the ability to be an instant cast.  On top of that, its range is pathetic!  Enemies have to be glued to you before you cast it and that is even more reason why it needs to be instant cast.  Almost all of the Necro's abilities are cast-time-based instead of intant cast.

Scourge doesnt have that many cast times.. Nor does it have problems in PvP/WvWvW.. Core necro and Reaper are both strong in SPVP and Scourge Does well in WvWvW and a Support role in SPVP lol.

what are u on about? XD. if ur trying to play reaper in WvWvW thats your problem lol... a Specc thats Damage is invested in a Melee shroud in a Large scale fight isnt a great idea... scourge does the role far better realistically and thats Fine given the fact Reaper is better then Scourge in SPVP..

We dont need every elite to work in every mode. Just elites to work in Most things and necromancer elites defintly do that.

4 hours ago, Daddy.8125 said:

what?.

u are aware Greatsword isnt Used in compettiive modes but only in PvE meta wise right? Axe+Warhorn / Staff is the PvP Set up and Scourge is used in WvWvW.

it seems weird ur trying to its one of the best weapons in the game... .which Meta wise is Weaker then a Other weapon on the same proffession lol, its Not one of the best weapons in the game. GS Abilities are too Slow and they also are proven to Net Less Life force Per minute then multiple other options.. which on reaper being so reliant on shroud for damage just makes it a worse option.

Greatsword is Cool. it has Nice attacks. but it isnt great in SPVP

maybe for PvP exclusively but to nerf that in PvE Would be defintly hugely impactful.

tbh.. i dont think Greatsword needs changing its a Elite weapon and if we're looking broadly Dagger / Axe / Warhorn / Scepter etc etc changes would be far more impactful across the board.. Reapers found its place in SPVP and it doesnt use greatsword to begin with.

You're aware that you are answering posts that are more than 1.5 year old? Lot of PvP patchs happened since then even if most PvP players forget that they got a patch a week after they got it. PvP meta was simply completely different 1 year and a half ago.

And this is why most thread about "balance/imbalance" should be closed after a few month. It's a necroed thread, let's let rest the past in it's coffin.

Edited by Dadnir.5038

1 minute ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

You're aware that you are answering posts that are more than 1.5 year old? Lot of PvP patchs happened since then even if most PvP players forget that they got a patch a week after they got it. PvP meta was simply completely different 1 year and a half ago.

And this is why most thread about "balance/imbalance" should be closed after a few month.

I didn't reliese til I saw the fact the thread was necrod lol . Took me a moment before I saw it. 

This horask guy seems to have copy and pasted "Anet hates necromancer QQ" across every 2 year old post. 

Edited by Daddy.8125

1 minute ago, Daddy.8125 said:

I didn't reliese til I saw the fact the thread was necrod lol . Took me a moment before I saw it. 

This horask guy seems to have copy and pasted "Anet hates necromancer QQ" across every 2 year old post. 

I believe at the time the post was opened, scourge had been robbed of it's self shade and reaper was far from being at it's peak. People weren't especially happy with necromancer's balance at that moment.

I don't know who this Horask guy is, first post I see that he necroed.

19 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

I believe at the time the post was opened, scourge had been robbed of it's self shade and reaper was far from being at it's peak. People weren't especially happy with necromancer's balance at that moment.

I don't know who this Horask guy is, first post I see that he necroed.

There was one under proffessions general about necromancer where he posted a huge wall about how bad necros are treated. 

21 hours ago, Daddy.8125 said:

what?.

Dude, my posting you answered to is one and a half years old! Stop necro'ing threads!

Besides that I don't care what meta reaper looks like. It's sad that you do. The meta reaper build has way to many drawbacks to fit an advanced and flexible playstyle.

Edited by KrHome.1920

2 hours ago, KrHome.1920 said:

Dude, my posting you answered to is one and a half years old! Stop necro'ing threads!

Besides that I don't care what meta reaper looks like. It's sad that you do. The meta reaper build has way to many drawbacks to fit an advanced and flexible playstyle.

I didn't if u read 😂 Horace did and I just didn't notice tbh