Just started Engineer

Humor.5763

Hello all,

So after I've leveled my Renegade, and Necro/reaper to lvl 80+, I decided to start out an Engineer, as I really do like things such as deployables, and remember way back when, Engi's had kits, and all types of different things at their disposal. Now I'm not too sure what to think about it, just starting out.

I got to level 10 easily enough, was looking forward to swapping weapons from pistols to rifles, to maximize my early damage output, seeing as I don't have any kits or anything yet, and realized you can't swap weapons in combat. Why is this? The only possible reason I could think of, is due to engineer having nothing but ranged weapons. However, this pretty much immediately made me want to stop playing my Engineer because of how lackluster it's feeling right now. I thought about using one of my "insta level 80" items, but I rather enjoy learning my classes, and working my way up to level 80, getting used to the skills gradually.

So, again, what's the point of limiting Engineer's weapon swap, to just outside of combat?

The limitation is due to the fact that they can use kits.

Meaning, they can have up to 5 additional weapon sets worth of skills available to them (With Kits having the added advantage of not having a 10s CD to swap between)

The trade off for this potential, is only being able to use a single weapon set during combat.

It is a similar reasoning for Elementalist too, whom also cannot swap weapons in combat due to their 4x weapon skills from their Attunements.

@Taril.8619 said:The limitation is due to the fact that they can use kits.

Meaning, they can have up to 5 additional weapon sets worth of skills available to them (With Kits having the added advantage of not having a 10s CD to swap between)

The trade off for this potential, is only being able to use a single weapon set during combat.

It is a similar reasoning for Elementalist too, whom also cannot swap weapons in combat due to their 4x weapon skills from their Attunements.

Ironically, this makes weapon swap sigils on engi extremely powerful. Need to pop a cleansing and energy sigils? Casually pops both by equipping a kit and dropping it immediately after

It's kind of pointless to swap in combat except maybe for P/P into P/S or Rifle into Hammer. Kits define you as much as the weapon you wield.

Also, let me tell you something, I have the opposite experience concerning weapon swap. I've done pretty much nothing but Engineer in these last 8 years and the idea of swapping weapons with a 10s cooldown makes me frown when I've been juggling between up to 4 kits at will to find what I'm looking for. It's bearable on Warrior due to the reduction to 5s but that's it.

The ability to even equip a second weapon set on engineer is relatively new.

It is a fun class but definitely not for everyone. If you aren't enjoying it you should definitely not use your level 80 boost on the class but I would encourage you not to give up on the class entirely. Engis have a very unique playstyle that is very fun, it just takes some getting used to.

If you continue to play the class long enough to get the kits I think you will have a lot of fun with them.

Either way, good luck

I insist that kits should be part of the profession mechanic, and baked into the F-keys. It's true that kits are what define an engineer, and probably the reason why they don't have weapon swap. However, because they go into utility slots, it's entirely possible to go kitless, and fail to understand the appeal of the engineer, specially for newer players, as OP illustrates.

Even if you don't use kits, you have a base of 5 toolbet skills whereas most other professions have far less.You can then mix in kits up to 5 kits. At this point, you have more skills than any others.

I like engineer for everything but kits. I'm not a fan of weapon swap, I sometimes use one kit but rarely more.I enjoy engineer even kitless, I like to have my toolbelt skills and I find them more convenient than weapon swap.