Legendary Equipment and Templates - [Merged]

I am in favor of these additions. But considering how much work and gold is required to get legendary equipment... I wish there was more to them. For comparison, I have just acquired myself full ascended gear, because I want to be able to infuse my equipment for Fractals. It also slightly raises stats on everything. It feels like a noteworthy step forward in the progression of my character.

Crafting legendary gear does not do anything like that, apart from easily being able to swap out stats. And unlike in GW1, we can also not dedicate the weapons in the Hall of Monuments. I wish there was something about ascended gear that truly made it something of value.

@phantom.1675 said:

@"Salicia.5943" said:You're not going to get compensated. You used the legendary for all the time until this update. You made it for convenience, and experienced the convenience.

A long time ago before Shared Inventory slots were "implemented" people didn't forsee that they only needed 1 Copper Fed Salvomatic. People bought 1 for each character. That's over 2,000g if you bought 9. To this day you can still see them in Deroir's bank. He didn't get compensation nor anybody else. I understand your fight, trust me I almost made 9 sets I'd be pissed. But you also have to look at it from the other end of the spectrum. Why should you get something special that the rest cannot get? Anet isn't going to cater to the 2% that crafted 9 sets of legendary armor. This new system is amazing for anybody who didn't craft multiples of legendary. I would hate to see that 2% ruin it for the other 98%.

I mean - they could make it right for all 100%? Anything short of 100% is a fail at my work. Hard for me to believe Anet let's its designers get away with this. The entire build template ecosystem is a train wreck, but they keep adding to that instead of adding other actual important updates? It's the compounding of bad decision making for me.

I can't imagine making 9 sets. I made a set for each class, all of the weapons and in some cases two of each. I also chose to make all my runes and sigils. However, I did that for me. I had no problem switching out other classes with any of them. I did that because you couldn't with exotics. I also had no expectations as to changes that Anet makes. Where I see it I got what I paid for at the time. I too have so many ascended weapons and armor. I didn't expect compensation for those as well when I made legendary.. At the end of the day no one forced us to make anything. That's what exotic is for with little to no financial burden.

That is not what was said.We still have no idea when the update to templates features will be, as they never said just next update.Yeah, they said "the next update
that will affect the suite of templates features
" not "the next update".So these will be in the next update to the templates alright but not the next update to the game.

They said "We want to talk a little about our plans for the next update that will affect the suite of templates features". Thanks to the joys of the English language, that could be parsed as (plans for the next update) (that will affect the suite of template features), OR as (plans) (for the next update that will affect the suite of template features).

So absent any clarifying comment from them, which unless I'm missing something hasn't been provided, asking for more information when an update has been announced that doesn't mention it is quite reasonable.

@Modliszka.5027 said:That is a great idea. The real question is in what business model you want to introduce it.

I believe the intention is to introduce the armory as a cost-free improvement. The templates will still be limited and the only possible way to increase the number of available slots will still be via the gem store.

• ArenaNet Staff

First, thanks to all of you for your input. Your strong reaction and feedback showed us that this would be a worthwhile addition to the game and we can’t wait to get it to you. We’re excited to be able to make you a part of development early on for this feature, and in the coming months we’ll be sharing updates as we move through the implementation process.

@Fire Attunement.9835 said:First, thanks to all of you for your input. Your strong reaction and feedback showed us that this would be a worthwhile addition to the game and we can’t wait to get it to you. We’re excited to be able to make you a part of development early on for this feature, and in the coming months we’ll be sharing updates as we move through the implementation process.

Just a note, if it's gonna be monetized, expect a lot of angry people :) You've already monetized 3 times a core feature of the game which are build templates, if you're going for the 4th hit with the armory a lot will not be happy.

Simply being able to make account-bound clones of account-bound legendaries would solve most - if not all - of the proposed problems, and would probably make slot management more sane in equipment templates; plus, it would be less strain on the internal representation of these weapons in-game, since it's still 'just items' as far as the engine is concerned.

To all those people, who said to me and other players with 9 legendary sets "why should they give you compensation" I want to say this: why Anet gave every player who bought HoT compensation? A small gift and title. Why Anet gave an outfit to players who bought core game at release when they made core game free? Why Anet gave an achievement with the title to players who crafted two identical weapons in the days we didn't have wardrobe and legendary was soulbound? Why they did all this?In my case with 9 legendary armors and 9 legendary backpacks I would like to get something small, like a title, or achievement without points. I am not asking too much. Maybe it shouldn't be called a compensation, lets call it a small reward for dedicated veteran player.

@Fire Attunement.9835 said:First, thanks to all of you for your input. Your strong reaction and feedback showed us that this would be a worthwhile addition to the game and we can’t wait to get it to you. We’re excited to be able to make you a part of development early on for this feature, and in the coming months we’ll be sharing updates as we move through the implementation process.

Coming months??? 4,000 gems says you're completely overthinking how this should work and is going to cause a lot of confusion on how you implement it.

@phokus.8934 said:

Coming months??? 4,000 gems says you're completely overthinking how this should work and is going to cause a lot of confusion on how you implement it.Well, they probably do need to think very carefully about all the ways they can monetize it. I mean, even if the overall quality of the feature will go down as a result, it will
definitely
be worth it.

@BatelGeuce.3591 said:

@LINKAZZATORE.8135 said:Just a note, if it's gonna be monetized, expect a lot of angry people :) You've already monetized 3 times a core feature of the game which are build templates, if you're going for the 4th hit with the armory a lot will not be happy.

Imagine unlocking this feature for each character separately.

Nah, they'll make it so you have to pay for each slot in the armoury separately...

@LINKAZZATORE.8135 said:

Just a note, if it's gonna be monetized, expect a lot of angry people :) You've already monetized 3 times a core feature of the game which are build templates, if you're going for the 4th hit with the armory a lot will not be happy.

I assume this will be a free improvement on the system to make it more appealing, so people buy more gear slots with several characters and so legendary gear becomes more appealing. Otherwise it'll be rather pointless and people will mostly ignore both.

I'm saying this as someone who admittedly puts very little money into this game:

I see zero problems making this a paid feature. Because it's about convenience only. It doesn't give you any gameplay advantage, only decreases your annoyance with an aspect of the game, just like how you can buy portable bank access for money.

That, and the fact that gems can be bought with gold, means there is no reason this shouldn't be a paid feature.

Of course I also hope they make it free, but let's not be unfair to Anet.

I'm still unclear about certain aspects of this. If you have incinerator or hope, would you be able to just copy two of them to your character?

I understand some people would probably find this equivalent to getting a free legendary, but if you have an ascended weapon all you need is a few items to switch stats anyway, and when you buy a legendary weapon all you're really doing is paying for the skin and saving a minor amount on the stat swapping mats.

Would be pretty neat not, imo.

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:This would be a great change! I've been looking for a good reason to craft legendarys and a change like this would be a great motivation. If we could toggle the Legendary Accessoires visuals as well that would be even better.

On the visual side of things, they should implement a “wardrobe” for trinkets, allowing the trinket to take appearance of any trinket you have unlocked. This could give people what they want by switching to a different skin if they don’t want the effects. Other people who like to role play can have the skins they want for trinkets. By skin I mean changing the name and icon, while keeping the legendary effect. Anet probably wouldn’t go further and actually put the trinket skins on the character, but that would be cool too to add additional customizations to a character.

Thanks for this update was really needed since some people thought this would be ready and shiped like 2 weeks ago =P

@"cptaylor.2670" said:I'm still unclear about certain aspects of this. If you have incinerator or hope, would you be able to just copy two of them to your character?

I understand some people would probably find this equivalent to getting a free legendary, but if you have an ascended weapon all you need is a few items to switch stats anyway, and when you buy a legendary weapon all you're really doing is paying for the skin and saving a minor amount on the stat swapping mats.

Would be pretty neat not, imo.

Copy to diffrent characters yes but for two of the same you would have to have 2 legendary of dagger or pistol.As you say, your asking to getfree legendary otherwise, this just eliminate the need to unequip from all build templates (runining said templates dont it?) put into bank and take out with other character.