Is GreatSword Viable ?

waxx.3619

@Threather.9354 said:

@Threather.9354 said:Regarding open field fights in WvW, most well designed builds are viable. Especially greatsword mesmer due to the AoE.

Closed spaces, well I hope you have enough experience to not get oneshot as mesmer. Nullfield+illusion of life+blink+gravity well, Id say.

I do have to warn you that not many people are able to make mesmer work in this WvW meta. It is hard to survive on despite having quite a bit of boon removal, CC and ress ability. All other classes have ways to sustain themselves.

Yeah man I have now played WvW enough on the Mesmer to unlock a warclaw. I mostly PvPd on this toon. I have a thief main. I would say shattering clones so hard on WvWvW. Since they get killed so fast even before I can blow them up. And when they do damage is so low. Compared to like Ranger or Theif with their massive burst. But I am still only lvl 39. Maybe at 80 with Berserker or Marauder gear.

You shouldn't play WvW until level 80, but once you hit level 80 on 1 character, you will get so many tomes of knowledge from WvW that you never need to level up manually again. You need 3/4-stat exotic, and preferably even ascended gear. If you run 2 stat greens, you won't even scale up well.

Anyways, mesmer is definitely a cool class. Do try to get chrono for largescale so your shatters can get superspeed when traited.

But yeah, id say run full marauder, it isn't that big of a DPS loss (10-15%) but the extra vitality allows you to deal more damage due to surviving longer/tanking retal.

Thanks for the great information brother/sister. May I ask you what's the best way to get some marauder gear fast at lvl 80 ? I have about 100k karma saved up and close 400 badge of honor. Had some decent gold to until I decided to lvl LW to 500.

You get 1 stat selectable exotic armor piece per week from pips (Warlords armor box, at the end of bronze pip rewards) and can get more from triumphant reward track, you can do some early HoT story achievements for ascended marauder trinkets or LS3/LS4 reward tracks for map currencies to buy stat selectable asc trinkets. And exotic marauder isn't that expensive to craft if you want to level tailoring to 400
but just leveling the crafting discipline might be little too expensive for a new player.

For berserker/knight ascended trinks (until you get the marauder): Accessories are quite easy to get from guild missions (until you work on marauder), using 20 + 250 badges of honor laurels for amulet or do fractal dailies (even low easy t2 dailies give 6 pristine) for 10 pristine for rings.

Overall id prolly just buy
(berserker) stats from TP as soon as you hit level 80 and throw some cheap statheavy runes with vitality on them (Durability or Divinity) and play with those until you get proper marauder stuff going (then swap runes). You will be still quite weak but it is cheap way to get your first gear. Do note that ascended weapon is like 10% boost on damage compared to exotic so you shouldn't except to be strong as DPS without ascended weps (or trinkets)

I WOULD NOT use pristine to get Mists jewelry, because its one of the most expensive currency to use for them. Rather if you want Zerker trinkets I would just do weekly guild missions each trinket is 12 guild commendations + 5g. You can get ~5-10 commendations in an hour or two each week doing fun easy guild Missions. THEN if you want Mists jewelry since you are already doing wvw I would suggest you get into pvp. You can get Mist jewelry faster in ranked pvp (req. pvp lvl 20). You will also earn pvp tickets which you can use to buy the recipes for marks. The reason I would say not to use pristine from fractals is the time difference and the fact that you can do pvp right now without gear, but you will need 80 etc before you can do fractals to get pristine.

Again for speed, I suggest you start doing weekly guild missions which give you 2 trinkets in about a month maybe less from about 1 hour per week fun side activity. Rings you can get easy from laurels, missions, fractals, etc. Class elite spec collections, HoT story (caladblog), etc are some of the cheapest and fastest ways to get some weapons early while just playing.