Extreme lag in game

Not sure if this has anything to do with Covid -19 due to lack of support or whatever but I'm getting an absurd amount of lag in game, I currently play in SEA and when the game came out in 2012 I got around 200ping

Now when I'm in a story mission in in Orr I get 1000 to 4000 ping, why? I also found out that the move to Amazon servers caused all this shit to stir.

The last time I logged into the game was in 2017 and none of the following happens. Game freezing and fast forwarding a few seconds to MINUTES later. Super high ping in the thousands.

Now when I auto attack there a good 2 second delay before the animation goes. Not to mention the random disconnects.

Doing world bosses for the first damn time for me was impossible as I disconnected before the reward came and everything was frozen and then fast forwarded here and there.

I agree it was really bad before the server crash / roll-back issue and seems even worse, or at very least absolutely no better after. I have a decent spec PC and IP service: My ping is usually 15-50, and my FPS doesn't really drop below 50-60, but last several days TP is a nightmare lags heavily at times, my skills & mount/dismount can take like 2 seconds to register, and as for playing these 2 kitten maps: i) Thunderhead Keep or ii) Sandswept Isles ( i really don't know what the problem is with SI: Back in the days I never had any issue even during Meta, but last few weeks this map imparticular has been really really bad, even worse than Thunderhead (but always been laggy for most of us ). But i do notice the lag does fluctuate at different periods during the day (off/on peak playerbase etc.): But really for me it does not seem like any issues my end (I've worked through every possible fix known to man): And it makes no difference to my gameplay !

We all know that the online gaming world population has increased quite significantly over the last few months due to current affairs, but it would be nice to have some feed-back from Anet what is happening with the tech. at their end, as from where I am standing it is severly struggling to cope with the overload, and countless players in game are talking about all manner of lag related issues on a daily basis. My guildee she tried using her tomes to port to Lw3/Lw4 maps and she had such a bad delay by the time it registered to get to the map she wanted, she got kicked out repeatedly, then every time she relogged she ended up in a different map altogether! C'est la vie.

An interesting note pre- and post- lockdown: My irl buddy is an IT systems analyst for a local council; he oversees the entire server room (£15-20 million servers) for a local region of about 150K people. Pre-lockdown life: Server room temp. was ~23-24 degrees. Current lock-down life: Server room temp is ~29-30 degrees. Servers have fail-safe shut-down temp of 35 degrees. He said if more than ONE of the industrial sized Fan Air-con units goes down at any one time, it's G a m e o v e r. Anet are you feelin' hot, hot hot ?

@Echo of kalzana.5214 said:Based in EU, but play on NA servers, usually no problem.

Today has featured rubber banding and an average ping of 1.1k in core maps. Traceroute indicated it wasn't the trip over the atlantic causing the problem. Time to go play something else for a while.

Same. Based in UK but play on US servers. Normally that's no problem, but lately when it gets to about 8pm (BST) the ping suddenly rises from the normal 80-100 to 600-1000 and the game becomes unplayable. I closed the game, cleared the game cache. No change. In one memorable moment, I was trying to complete a heart and the task was to dump cold water on a passed-out drunk. So 'dump water' is skill 1 and I'm pressing 1 and waiting between 15-30 seconds for the game to react. Nope! Time to watch Netflix before I throw the keyboard out of the window!

Ok, so there is a few things going on, based upon my observations and speculation, take it with a grain of salt:1) Arenanet has a name server that handles load balancing, not based on location or distance from the server, but based on either when you login, or undetermined intervals.
(note that for GW1 friends list server also doubled as the name server, and when you disconnected from it you would lose connection to the game, in GW2 the friends list server is seperate)2) Amazon Web Services are overloaded due to the consumption of digital data. Arenanet hosts many of their servers on AWS.3) A lot of players are returning to a buy to play game out of boredom, putting additional load on Arenanet's name server and game servers/4) Guild Wars 2 collects A LOT of data about how you are playing and sends all of that information back between a data and game servers.

This represents a perfect storm, one where incoming data overwhelms the game servers on intake, forcing the game servers then to ask the name server to load balance and ask which connections to de-prioritize, and for data packets to be queued for those connections. Essentially, all of the incoming data consumes the bandwidth / compute cycles that the game servers have, and do not allow the game servers to send out data packets to certain de-prioritized clients.

You can see this on the impacted client via the blinking skills, other character models walking in the direction they were last walking in, and mobs doing nothing. When the game server finally catches up, you have a fast forward action going on, at 10x speed of what has happened, and what should show on your screen. If you talk to your team mates, like say in a strike when it happens, they will comment that you only auto-attacked or simply moved around. If you were to have two accounts logged in on two separate computers, and one of the accounts experiences the de-prioritization with data packets being held up at the game server end, you could actually still move around using your computer that is impacted, and auto-attack with skill 1 so long as you queued it before the de-prioritization had occurred, but you cannot do anything else, despite having nothing happen on your impacted account's screen to indicate that you have moved or that you used an auto-attack. On your computer that is not impacted, you would see your impacted account move around and auto-attack with any queued skills.

Unfortunately, unless Arenanet gets more servers (which isn't a permanent fix), less players play, or AWS gets more servers, there isn't much that can be done about this issue.Arenanet could adjust downward the data collection, so as to allow more bandwidth to send out data packets to clients, but still doesn't change the fact that the servers are overwhelmed. Also, doing so may allow some parties to take advantage of not having so much data sent back to the mothership, so to speak, to devise ways to circumvent safeguards. The game may also stop working without the collected data, or work terribly.

Things you can do:1) Avoid game modes with massive amounts of people doing things together, including world bosses or WvW.1a) The exception is if you load in early, there is a chance that you will not get de-prioritized if you are part of the zerg or group BEFORE any action happens, this is not guaranteed to help, but has helped me WvW raid at times.2) Avoid playing certain game modes or sub-game modes that have alot of concurrent players during prime time, such as PvP, Raids, Fractals, Strikes.3) When you realize you are being de-prioritized in a particular game mode or sub-game mode, log off and come back when its not prime time.
4) Try to live closer to the servers, which amid the current situation moving is not an essential activity. But by being closer to the server, you just might not be de-prioritized if there is some type of first come first served communication verification on priority.

@VoxShatterfall.5470 said:

Things you can do:1) Avoid game modes with massive amounts of people doing things together, including world bosses or WvW.1a) The exception is if you load in early, there is a chance that you will not get de-prioritized if you are part of the zerg or group BEFORE any action happens, this is not guaranteed to help, but has helped me WvW raid at times.2) Avoid playing certain game modes or sub-game modes that have alot of concurrent players during prime time, such as PvP, Raids, Fractals, Strikes.3) When you realize you are being de-prioritized in a particular game mode or sub-game mode, log off and come back when its not prime time.

4) Try to live closer to the servers, which amid the current situation moving is not an essential activity. But by being closer to the server, you just might not be de-prioritized if there is some type of first come first served communication verification on priority.

Do not play the game that you payed for and/or move to Seattle? Nice solutions you have there.

Btw there is simple solution to ping lag spikes. VPN. Some VPN servers tend to have lag spikes, while others are crystal clean.

Sorry I forgot about VPNs, since they can in effect allow you to avoid de-prioritization.
And the servers are somewhere in Texas / South west.

Sure, lets revise things you can do:0) Utilize a VPN to potentially avoid de-prioritization1) Avoid game modes with massive amounts of people doing things together at the same time, including world bosses or WvW.1a) The exception is if you load in early, there is a chance that you will not get de-prioritized if you are part of the zerg or group BEFORE any action happens, this is not guaranteed to help, but has helped me WvW raid at times.2) Avoid playing certain game modes or sub-game modes that have alot of concurrent players during prime time with alot of concurrent players in the same game mode, such as PvP, Raids, Fractals, Strikes.3) When you realize you are being de-prioritized in a particular game mode or sub-game mode, log off and come back when its not prime time.4) Try to live closer to the servers, which amid the current situation moving is not an essential activity. But by being closer to the server, you just might not be de-prioritized if there is some type of first come first served communication verification on priority. Someone didn't like this suggestion. I wasn't being serious, but thats ok.

Full disclosure, I can no longer roam in WvW, I cannot play strikes on reset until 4 hours after reset, and I can't do world boss trains without the said priority.While I could invest in a VPN, I choose not to, as I am not comfortable having my traffic being routed in a certain way (though I know that our normal traffic is routed in a certain way anyways).So Yeah. going to strike out things that people don't agree with.

Thanks.

UK based playing on EU servers. I previously had an issue with disconnections during story instance cutscenes for about 3-4 weeks that suddenly stopped (aside from adjusting the "streaming content option" nothing else done at my side). Since the rollback this issue has reared it's head again - 3 disconnections today already on the lvl 40 story instance. Always seem to be worst later in the day (after 7pm BST). No major issues with latency (50-90ms) but i seem to recall noting previously that during some story instances my connection was being routed to US servers and back (probably to do with Amazon AWS network) which going by the earlier comments for UK > US players, fits.

my ping: https://prnt.sc/sk450dliterally unplayable.

0 DESKTOP-KQLM09C [192.168.1.25]0/ 50 = 0% |1 0ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% router.asus.com [192.168.1.1]0/ 50 = 0% |2 2ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% n058153174254.netvigator.com [58.153.174.254]0/ 50 = 0% |3 --- 50/ 50 =100% 50/ 50 =100% 10.193.232.2140/ 50 = 0% |4 3ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% wtsc3a054.netvigator.com [218.102.40.54]0/ 50 = 0% |5 4ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% te0-3-0-4.br05.hkg05.pccwbtn.net [63.218.254.125]0/ 50 = 0% |6 55ms 2/ 50 = 4% 2/ 50 = 4% TenGE0-0-0-7.br01.tok13.pccwbtn.net [63.223.33.98]0/ 50 = 0% |7 55ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% TenGE0-0-0-10.br01.tok13.pccwbtn.net [63.223.33.110]1/ 50 = 2% |8 54ms 1/ 50 = 2% 0/ 50 = 0% 63-222-57-30.static.pccwglobal.net [63.222.57.30]49/ 50 = 98% |9 --- 50/ 50 =100% 0/ 50 = 0% 52.93.251.1770/ 50 = 0% |10 --- 50/ 50 =100% 0/ 50 = 0% 52.93.66.169

i live in hong kong, usually get around 250-300 ping and its find, but 1k ping/0ping is just ridiculous.high ping usually happens on S4 maps like THP, dragonfall, and bjora marches.

Diag.ArenaNetworks.com34.237.20.65:80 - connect succeeded34.225.225.173:6112 - connect succeeded34.194.154.37:6112 - connect succeeded34.236.133.94:80 - connect succeeded34.237.20.65:6112 - connect succeeded34.235.245.105:6112 - connect succeeded34.235.245.105:80 - connect succeeded34.225.225.173:80 - connect succeeded34.194.154.37:80 - connect failed34.236.133.94:6112 - connect failed

Section completed in 10.02 seconds

assetcdn.101.ArenaNetworks.com.13.224.164.70:80 - connect succeeded13.224.164.26:80 - connect succeeded13.224.164.110:80 - connect succeeded13.224.164.165:80 - connect succeeded

Section completed in 0.00 seconds

auth1.101.ArenaNetworks.com.34.236.133.94:6112 - connect succeeded34.235.245.105:6112 - connect succeeded34.225.225.173:6112 - connect succeeded34.237.20.65:6112 - connect succeeded34.194.154.37:6112 - connect failed

@"SuiciDan.2431" said:my ping: https://prnt.sc/sk450dliterally unplayable.

0 DESKTOP-KQLM09C [192.168.1.25]0/ 50 = 0% |1 0ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% router.asus.com [192.168.1.1]0/ 50 = 0% |2 2ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% n058153174254.netvigator.com [58.153.174.254]0/ 50 = 0% |3 --- 50/ 50 =100% 50/ 50 =100% 10.193.232.2140/ 50 = 0% |4 3ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% wtsc3a054.netvigator.com [218.102.40.54]0/ 50 = 0% |5 4ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% te0-3-0-4.br05.hkg05.pccwbtn.net [63.218.254.125]0/ 50 = 0% |6 55ms 2/ 50 = 4% 2/ 50 = 4% TenGE0-0-0-7.br01.tok13.pccwbtn.net [63.223.33.98]0/ 50 = 0% |7 55ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% TenGE0-0-0-10.br01.tok13.pccwbtn.net [63.223.33.110]1/ 50 = 2% |8 54ms 1/ 50 = 2% 0/ 50 = 0% 63-222-57-30.static.pccwglobal.net [63.222.57.30]49/ 50 = 98% |9 --- 50/ 50 =100% 0/ 50 = 0% 52.93.251.1770/ 50 = 0% |10 --- 50/ 50 =100% 0/ 50 = 0% 52.93.66.169

i live in hong kong, usually get around 250-300 ping and its find, but 1k ping/0ping is just ridiculous.high ping usually happens on S4 maps like THP, dragonfall, and bjora marches.

Looks like this is where your problems begin: pccwglobal.net (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCCW) Perhaps, your ISP can communicate with them. Good luck.

@Blude.6812 said:

@Greg.7086 said:it would be nice to have some feed-back from Anet what is happening with the tech.^^^^ This. They really do need to be more interactive.I am in NA and the lag has been getting worse for the last week. It is not players fault. Time to step up ANet.

On an empty map, soloing a champ. I press 1 2 3 4 5 as needed. I often see the gui button flash indicating the button press was accepted by the client, but the skill does not trigger. This has been getting steadily worse for the last few months. I've been playing for over 7 years, I know what to expect when I use my skills.

I live in Florida and haven't had issues this bad before. It seems to have been gradually getting worse since the move to Amazon servers a while back. When it's really bad, moving things within my inventory has lag.

I realize an MMO (presumably) using UDP for skill buttons will experience some misfires, but it has been getting worse.

Will someone from Anet please acknowledge the increased lag reports by players?

I've been playing 7 years and I rarely have had ANY lag issues from Florida. The last few months have been a struggle for managing complicated fights where skill timings must be close to perfect. During these laggy times I focus on crafting chores and other goals. I miss the action. (Quitting? NO - frustrated YES)

There seems to have been a decline with in-game responsiveness after the move to AWS. Perhaps some tuning issues have cropped up since the push for advertising seems to be bringing in more players recently.

I wonder what the outcome will be on Tuesday when everyone comes back to the game for the new content?

@"keenedge.9675" said:I wonder what the outcome will be on Tuesday when everyone comes back to the game for the new content?Outcome? What outcome? At worst, we can say "welcome to every day life of WvW for 8 years". But it probably wont happen. Skill lag in PvE is pretty rare, I've never even seen it with major expansion releases - instead, its the instances that break.

Unless of course by some miracle the new PvEvW map is so similar to WvW that it also skill lag heavily. In which case you'll probably see it fixed in PvE within 2 days, while nothing is fixed in WvW. So no cause for worry.

Even with lag the skills work it's just on your bar they don't go on cd so you have to use your internal clock. Most say spam 1 necro well 5 times thinking wtf why didn't that well go off. It did but now you are trying to cast it over and over while it's on cd. you can cast all 4 wells in a row instead knowing to internal clock 30 secs from first cast to try that same one again. At least this is my exp

I typically play like a fiend, but I've taken about a month break (very rare for me). I came back today thinking I'd get back at it and it's a freaking lagfest. Major skill lag, lag moving items in inventory, lag during fights, lag gathering, etc. It's basically unplayable as it is. I enjoyed my break, which was surprising for me, and to come back to this is pretty unfortunate. I thought I might get into things again and go back to playing like crazy, but with the state of the servers I'm wondering if I won't just call it a day again and move on to other things. It doesn't seem like Anet is addressing it either, from a glance at the forums. No communication? Glad to see some things haven't changed.