Should ARENANET Host More Competitions For Fanmade weapons/armors

Examples of these are; Favor of the Colossus, Eclipse and Scion's Claw weapon designs, which were from the design-a-weapon contest.

Edit: Nobody is implying it would be free. It can very well be commission based or whatever the case.

It worked very well last time, I think it's a proven success. But I wouldn't go farther than 1 per year, artists are not paid and minimally credited for their work after all. Still nice to say "Something I made can be experienced by thousands of people" but still.

@Adry.7512 said:

@WDBoldstar.7649 said:No. Designing something for a well-off monetized game like GW2 should be a paid job, not a way to extract free work from fans.

Nobody said it would be free, smh.

To elaborate, then, I'm saying artists who design things for a profitable video game company should be paid a fair market rate. Something like a handful of gems or an armor or weapon skin, even a unique one, wouldn't really meet the definition, In my book.

Especially since, in these contests, most people don't win anything, but the rules make them de-facto sign over the rights to their design to the company anyway.

Loved the concept. I would have liked to see a little more involved process to earning them with a little more story, but they would fun little collections and two of the skins saw regular use for a while.

But a couple of small issues with the idea put the reddit on Drama overdrive and I think ended up generating a fair bit of ill will towards Anet thanks to a couple of instances of brigading.Ultimately not worth the effort I would think.Which is legitimately too bad.

@WDBoldstar.7649 said:

@WDBoldstar.7649 said:No. Designing something for a well-off monetized game like GW2 should be a paid job, not a way to extract free work from fans.

To elaborate, then, I'm saying artists who design things for a profitable video game company should be paid a fair market rate. Something like a handful of gems or an armor or weapon skin, even a unique one, wouldn't really meet the definition, In my book.

Especially since, in these contests, most people don't win anything, but the rules make them de-facto sign over the rights to their design to the company anyway.

Thats what they did in CS:GO, marketed the community skins that won and the creators still get percent from sales even to this day.

YES.Alot of skins are pog imo, like who thought keepsake skin for example was a good idea? Theres more than a few cases, so fan made stuff pls

Also, contestants go into it knowing it isn't paid. If they were hiring artists and using their creations without paying them there would be an issue. As it is, don't enter the contest if wish to be paid for your art. You are welcome to apply for a job with them or someone else. This is a non-issue for a design a weapon contest.

They should yes it's a great way to promote interaction with the community.

@WDBoldstar.7649 said:Especially since, in these contests, most people don't win anything, but the rules make them de-facto sign over the rights to their design to the company anyway.

They actually win as they have something they created added to a popular video game. Aspiring artists can't ask for anything more than that, free advertisement and promotion of their work. Nobody is forcing them to submit their work. If they want to be paid, they shouldn't post their work as the rules are known.

I think Gw2 developers have shown a preference towards certain styles or themes (especially toward butt capes, skirts and deathknight armours). I think community interaction might help expose them to new ideas that follow the general theme of the game, while feeling different from other armour/outfits.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:The winners were paid $264 worth of prizes.

Quick Google suggests the going rate for game designers is about $25/ hour and napkin math makes it seem like it's roughly on par assuming their designs are about a day's work.

Of course an artbook doesn't help pay rent. And, despite what some folks in the thread believe, Exposure Bucks aren't worth shit as far as building your art business goes. But if someone is happy to work for a tee shirt no one should stand in their way.

It gives the chance for players to get interested and invested in the game. Players will feel more involved and feel like they are helping the game grow and enjoy the game more. I wish we had more of these events like voting for the new leader of Lion's Arch or the name of the new heroes group.

@WDBoldstar.7649 said:

I agree completely.