Why aren't WvW trolls punished?

Taylan.2187

I really don't care about the details but apparently the server we're currently linked with has some internal drama where a player is trying to "lobby" the server into changing some rule they have on their Teamspeak server. This "lobbying" is done in the form of randomly pulling EWPs, wasting mats by building tons of trebs right there inside the supply depot, building siege on top of tactics so they're difficult to pull, and so on.

Apparently, none of that behavior is against the rules. Why is that so? I understand that Anet might not want to get involved in the drama among the player base, but the way some players end up behaving is just anti-social and hurts the experience of all players on the server plus the linked server, when the player only has some issue with a few key people.

Example of trolling:

5R7B4lZ.jpg

@aspirine.6852 said:That is not trolling, that is having more accounts and trying to help your friends on the other server :/ In T1 EU you see it all the time..

Of course that's also always a possibility, and should be all the more reason for punishing a player. In our current situation I actually had a serious talk with the player pulling off things like this (I assume that what I screenshotted above was also his doing) and he told me all about these issues he has with some leading figure on their server and apparently does this as a form of protest...

Either way there should be rules against this sort of behavior. There's no justification for it.

@"Taylan.2187" said:I really don't care about the details but apparently the server we're currently linked with has some internal drama where a player is trying to "lobby" the server into changing some rule they have on their Teamspeak server. This "lobbying" is done in the form of randomly pulling EWPs, wasting mats by building tons of trebs right there inside the supply depot, building siege on top of tactics so they're difficult to pull, and so on.

Apparently, none of that behavior is against the rules. Why is that so? I understand that Anet might not want to get involved in the drama among the player base, but the way some players end up behaving is just anti-social and hurts the experience of all players on the server plus the linked server, when the player only has some issue with a few key people.

Example of trolling:

5R7B4lZ.jpg

you just have to be precise on your clicking the appriopriate label. so you need to turn on the option to display all object names/labels.

• Haha 1

@Taylan.2187 said:

@aspirine.6852 said:That is not trolling, that is having more accounts and trying to help your friends on the other server :/ In T1 EU you see it all the time..

Of course that's also always a possibility, and should be all the more reason for punishing a player. In our current situation I actually had a serious talk with the player pulling off things like this (I assume that what I screenshotted above was also his doing) and he told me all about these issues he has with some leading figure on their server and apparently does this as a form of protest...

Either way there should be rules against this sort of behavior. There's no justification for it.

Technically, there are rules against this sort of behavior, they just aren't enforced. A simple solution that would be effective is to just IP/hardware ban every account that does this kind of thing or at least disabling the ability of people who troll to queue for WvW (not on a per-account basis but on a per-IP basis). It would also ease the burden on support, because they'd have less tickets to deal with from repeat offenders.

Unfortunately, it will never happen. These problems have existed since the game released. There's no reason for anyone to fear punishment from anet for ruining other people's experience out of spite. Worst case scenario is a throw away account gets a short temp ban if they do something extremely egregious.

@Thelrok.7354 said:

Technically, there are rules against this sort of behavior, they just aren't enforced. A simple solution that would be effective is to just IP/hardware ban every account that does this kind of thing or at least disabling the ability of people who troll to queue for WvW (not on a per-account basis but on a per-IP basis). It would also ease the burden on support, because they'd have less tickets to deal with from repeat offenders.

Unfortunately, it will never happen. These problems have existed since the game released. There's no reason for anyone to fear punishment from anet for ruining other people's experience out of spite. Worst case scenario is a throw away account gets a short temp ban if they do something extremely egregious.

Ip ban is too much. Such should be reserved to hackers

@Sovereign.1093 said:

Ip ban is too much. Such should be reserved to hackers

If you just account ban, you limit your ban to the offending accounts, which are just throw aways. It doesn't actually solve anything. An IP ban gives actual punishment because, you know, you can't just log in on a different account and keep doing it with zero risk to the primary account. Additionally, I'd argue exploiting the system in this manner is on-par with hacking in severity because it ruins the experience and creates an unfair advantage with zero ability to combat this kind of behavior. It accomplishes everything that hacking does.

Punished for what? Playing the game?They aint exploiting and/or abusing bugs, aint using 3rd party programs, neither hacks nor cheats.

Show me in code of conduct part that says ppl cant drop and build balistas on tactivators.If I were you, I wouldnt expect any changes to ANets definition of trolling and the way to deal with them any time soon, since their definition of censorship is whatever mods (that are not controlled by any higher instance btw) find accusing and unhealthy for community :)

• Like 1

Anet could make a small area around tactivators restricted from siege drop . They have done this to many areas that used to allow siege drop. They could also make it so only one tactivator can be pulled by the same character at a time until a time period elapses .

@Widmo.3186 said:Punished for what? Playing the game?They aint exploiting and/or abusing bugs, aint using 3rd party programs, neither hacks nor cheats.

Show me in code of conduct part that says ppl cant drop and build balistas on tactivators.If I were you, I wouldnt expect any changes to ANets definition of trolling and the way to deal with them any time soon, since their definition of censorship is whatever mods (that are not controlled by any higher instance btw) find accusing and unhealthy for community :)

right here:

While participating in Plaver-vs-Player (PvP) gameplay, you will not participate in any form of match manipulation. Match manipulation is defined as any action taken to fix or manipulate the outcome of a match or alter or manipulate the rankings or ratings of the ladder. This also includes disrupting other people’s game experience by not actively participating in matches in good faith, a.k.a leeching.

@Thelrok.7354 said:

@Widmo.3186 said:Punished for what? Playing the game?They aint exploiting and/or abusing bugs, aint using 3rd party programs, neither hacks nor cheats.

right here:

While participating in Plaver-vs-Player (PvP) gameplay, you will not participate in any form of match manipulation. Match manipulation is defined as any action taken to fix or manipulate the outcome of a match or alter or manipulate the rankings or ratings of the ladder. This also includes disrupting other people’s game experience by not actively participating in matches in good faith, a.k.a leeching.

Can you link the source ?

@Sovereign.1093 said:

right here:

It's the Code of Conduct, which you have read and agreed to. At least, I'd hope. Asking for it suggests otherwise.

@Thelrok.7354 said:

right here:

It's the Code of Conduct, which you have read and agreed to. At least, I'd hope.

Can you link :3 or put a screen shot?

Because that's pvp seems like spvp

@Thelrok.7354 said:

right here:

And here youre wrong. Thing you quoted is about sPvP, not WvW.

in any form of match manipulationMatch manipulation is defined as any action taken to fix or manipulate the outcome of a match or alter or manipulate the rankings or ratings of the ladderactively participating in matches in good faith, a.k.a leeching

Match manipulation, leeching, rankings and ratings of the ladder exist in sPvP, not WvW. WvW is not sPvP, and sPvP is not WvW ;)

@Widmo.3186 said:

right here:

And here youre wrong. Thing you quoted is about sPvP, not WvW.

in any form of match manipulation
Match manipulation is defined as any action taken to fix or manipulate the outcome of a match or alter or manipulate the rankings or ratings of the ladder
actively participating in matches in good faith, a.k.a leeching

Match manipulation, leeching, rankings and ratings of the ladder exist in sPvP, not WvW. WvW is not sPvP, and sPvP is not WvW ;)

Ahh, you're a lawyer, I see. I guess I've been defeated by restricting intentionally broad terminology to what is convenient for one's purpose.

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@"Widmo.3186" said:Punished for what? Playing the game?They aint exploiting and/or abusing bugs, aint using 3rd party programs, neither hacks nor cheats.

right here:

It's the Code of Conduct, which you have read and agreed to. At least, I'd hope.

Because that's pvp seems like spvpYou said it
seems
like sPvP. But it's clearly not sPvP. It does not say "Structured Player-vs-Player". They said "PvP
gameplay
". Are you implying that WvW does not contain any PvP gameplay?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-rules-of-conduct/

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Widmo.3186" said:Punished for what? Playing the game?They aint exploiting and/or abusing bugs, aint using 3rd party programs, neither hacks nor cheats.

right here:

seems
like sPvP. But it's clearly not sPvP. It does not say "Structured Player-vs-Player". They said "PvP
gameplay

Well based on 22 all who afk are breaching terms bro. For pip s.

Also there's no ladder in wvw because there is no tournament.

Also actively participating this is a catch all. You afk, you breach. You gvg you breach. You do right club you breach.

• Like 1

@Sovereign.1093 said:

right here:

seems
gameplay

Well based on 22 all who afk are breaching terms bro. For pip s.

Also there's no ladder in wvw because there is no tournament.

Also actively participating this is a catch all. You afk, you breach. You gvg you breach. You do right club you breach.

I mean, it is if the server is full. Otherwise, it isn't because you aren't taking the place of someone who is actually trying to play. Also, there is a ladder. There is literally a WvW leaderboard and people involved pay attention to world rankings. That's also not important because it's an OR. Manipulating a match is enough, but you're probably going to say that weekly "matchups" aren't a "match". To that, I'm not sure if it's hilarious or sad that you actually think that.

There are other clauses within the terms of service that could be applied to any of this kind of behavior. They are written intentionally broad and just because something you like isn't explicitly defined, that doesn't mean it isn't covered especially in cases where it is damaging to other people's experience and Guild Wars as a brand.