Deciding between Thief/Ranger/Rev for PVP

Hi Everyone,

I am returning to the game after 5 years and would like to make a toon to PvP with. I hear that condi theif is nasty right now but i'm afraid it might be too one dimenional so i have been eyeing the ranger and the revenant as well. I was wondering how each of these professions preform in 1v1 and small scale battles?

I know the theif is obviously super strong in 1v1 and small but is it possible to do anything when you are outnumbered? I have played stealthers in other mmos and sometimes the playstyle of waiting around for the right time to strike can get a little old. Is this how the theif plays?

I hear a lot about how rangers are also very good and are great at ganking and holding down nodes. Are they good in 1v1's as well and how do they hold up vs lets say a theif?

Revenant i literally know nothing about other than watching videos online. I did read that 3 of the top 6 pvp players in EU main revenant tho!

Any help or advice would be appreciated! :)

It depends on what role you enjoy filling for your team.

Thief - the roamer:Never duel on node. Always find a fight to outnumber. Use mobility to decap enemy points before helping them win ongoing engagements.

Ranger - the duelist:Always stick to a sidenode. Keep it in your favor as long as possible. Keep as many enemy players busy as you can.

Revenant - the bruiser:You can hold nodes for a short amount of time if needed. Always help out the teamfight. Make sure fights are won quick so your teammates can move.

These roles stand regardless of build if you want to be most effective. Any profession/build can duel anything, you'll just have a harder time on some than others is all.

Actually, thief is rather bad in 1v1. You focus on +1ing (taking a 1v1 or 2v2 and outnumbering it) and decapping. You will struggle in even fights, in outnumbered ones youre screwed (but you should just run away in those). Thief doesnt wait around, ever. You are constantly moving around the map, to stand on points to decap them, and +1. Whether or not that sounds fun is up to you.

Rangers are significantly better at 1v1ing and crush thief trivially easy, but thats not much of an accomplishment. Theyre decent in their current state as small scale skirmishers that can burst down a target if theyre careless.

Power Revenant is too difficult to play for someone just starting out, I recommend against them. Condi Revenant is fine, a lot easier, but also less effective. Better at small scale skirmishes than 1v1s I suppose.

Honestly Id say go with ranger. Theyre the easiest of the 3 and the most effective at straight up 1v1s.

@UNOwen.7132 said:Actually, thief is rather bad in 1v1. You focus on +1ing (taking a 1v1 or 2v2 and outnumbering it) and decapping. You will struggle in even fights, in outnumbered ones youre screwed (but you should just run away in those). Thief doesnt wait around, ever. You are constantly moving around the map, to stand on points to decap them, and +1. Whether or not that sounds fun is up to you.

Rangers are significantly better at 1v1ing and crush thief trivially easy, but thats not much of an accomplishment. Theyre decent in their current state as small scale skirmishers that can burst down a target if theyre careless.

Power Revenant is too difficult to play for someone just starting out, I recommend against them. Condi Revenant is fine, a lot easier, but also less effective. Better at small scale skirmishes than 1v1s I suppose.

Honestly Id say go with ranger. Theyre the easiest of the 3 and the most effective at straight up 1v1s.

This is very incorrect. Ranger is absolutely gaped by conditions anyone that says different is wrong very wrong.

revenant obviously, being able to plus and hold 1v1 at the same time.tho right now ranger and thief are better, but one is side noder and other is plus one, so kinda 1 dimensioned. also ranger is deemed to get nerf, once that happens it will become less relevant, while rev can be relevant consistently, so is thief tho but thief is more decap, plus 1 while rev is more plus 1 and fighting. so choose what you like.

So thief is generally the best one because it usually has some keys abilities in spite of nerfs, condi thief is getting nerfed but d/p will still be strong. Condi rev is also very strong but getting nerfed. Core ranger is also solid right now and new user friendly, but predictable and also going to be less strong after possible nerfs.