Whats up with the performance?

So i really would like to make Guild Wars 2 my main mmo. The thing is, its performance is INCREDIBLY off-putting.Im sitting on a Ryzen 9 3900x and a Sapphire Nitro+ rx 5700 xt, so i reckon i have grounds for a thread like this.

Im playing the game pretty much maxed out at 1440p. When im out an about in the world doing whatever im getting a solid 100+fps.However as soon as i approach even just a little village like Butchers Block im barely getting 60fps, drops into the 50s. Hoelbrak im struggling getting 60fps as well but thats a capital so im okay with that. It doesnt really even matter if im on 1440p or 1080p, the performance is practically identical. And lowering settings does barely anything, we are maybe talking 2-3 fps gains.I dont even want to know what i will be getting in Lion Arch, maybe 30... :/Im really worried that i wont be able to enjoy any boss battles because of the awful performance.

I had Afterburner running and i saw that GW2 has really weird gpu usage, its far to low and unstable.

If i had to actually ask a question i guess it would be, is it like this for everyone? And if so, how the heck is anyone able to enjoy this game? Are people just used to playing with low fps?

@Infusion.7149 said:It's a known issue with Navi cards on games using dx9 that the usage is low so the card drops p-states. Your best bet is to use d912pxy or dxvk.

@Speedylord.2798 said:Turn down character model limit & quality. Low or medium and your fps will be a lot better:)!Also navi GPU usage is important, dx12pxy can help, there's also a guide in this forum category with the use of msi afterburner I believe.

So how do i change the dx version? Its not in the graphics settings.

@Zeusx.2906 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:It's a known issue with Navi cards on games using dx9 that the usage is low so the card drops p-states. Your best bet is to use d912pxy or dxvk.

@Speedylord.2798 said:Turn down character model limit & quality. Low or medium and your fps will be a lot better:)!Also navi GPU usage is important, dx12pxy can help, there's also a guide in this forum category with the use of msi afterburner I believe.

Those are 3rd-party programs. Not something you find in the graphics settings in the game, if that's what you mean.

@"Zeusx.2906" said:So i really would like to make Guild Wars 2 my main mmo. The thing is, its performance is INCREDIBLY off-putting.Im sitting on a Ryzen 9 3900x and a Sapphire Nitro+ rx 5700 xt, so i reckon i have grounds for a thread like this.

Im playing the game pretty much maxed out at 1440p. When im out an about in the world doing whatever im getting a solid 100+fps.However as soon as i approach even just a little village like Butchers Block im barely getting 60fps, drops into the 50s. Hoelbrak im struggling getting 60fps as well but thats a capital so im okay with that. It doesnt really even matter if im on 1440p or 1080p, the performance is practically identical. And lowering settings does barely anything, we are maybe talking 2-3 fps gains.I dont even want to know what i will be getting in Lion Arch, maybe 30... :/Im really worried that i wont be able to enjoy any boss battles because of the awful performance.

I had Afterburner running and i saw that GW2 has really weird gpu usage, its far to low and unstable.

If i had to actually ask a question i guess it would be, is it like this for everyone? And if so, how the heck is anyone able to enjoy this game? Are people just used to playing with low fps?

You absolutely have to try the D912pxy ! The performance difference is night and day compared to running the game natively in dx9 - particularly for Navi users like us. Dx9 is poorly optimised for our cards (AMD driver issue not GW2) With your set-up you'll find performance gains in some scenarios greater than 20-30%

You can find the d912pxy here https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy

I can also show you how to lock your cards GPU clock so it's stops down-clocking to lower speeds. I’ve found this almost eliminates stuttering for me.

If you need any other help feel free to PM me in-game.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Those are 3rd-party programs. Not something you find in the graphics settings in the game, if that's what you mean.

@Zeusx.2906 said:So i really would like to make Guild Wars 2 my main mmo. The thing is, its performance is INCREDIBLY off-putting.Im sitting on a Ryzen 9 3900x and a Sapphire Nitro+ rx 5700 xt, so i reckon i have grounds for a thread like this.

You absolutely have to try the D912pxy ! The performance difference is night and day compared to running the game natively in dx9 - particularly for Navi users like us. Dx9 is poorly optimised for our cards (AMD driver issue not GW2) With your set-up you'll find performance gains in some scenarios greater than 20-30%

You can find the d912pxy here

I can also show you how to lock your cards GPU clock so it's stops down-clocking to lower speeds. I’ve found this almost eliminates stuttering for me.

Im a bit nervous about using 3rd party programs that arent actually affiliated with the game itself, feels like im inviting some random person to do whatever...I will look into it though, it would be nice to fix the gpu usage because when the usage manages to get above 70% my fps is much higher.

@Zeusx.2906 said:

@Zeusx.2906 said:So i really would like to make Guild Wars 2 my main mmo. The thing is, its performance is INCREDIBLY off-putting.Im sitting on a Ryzen 9 3900x and a Sapphire Nitro+ rx 5700 xt, so i reckon i have grounds for a thread like this.

You can find the d912pxy here

Im a bit nervous about using 3rd party programs that arent actually affiliated with the game itself, feels like im inviting some random person to do whatever...I will look into it though, it would be nice to fix the gpu usage because when the usage manages to get above 70% my fps is much higher.

It's safe to use. the developer is on the GW2 developer community in Discord and they have some Anet moderators on there. It's just a wrapper that turns the games dx9 calls into dx12 ones. It doesn't modify your game file.

yeap, the Character Model Limit is the biggest killer of FPS, which I don't think Anet will ever fix because of the spaghetti code from the old GW engine.

@crepuscular.9047 said:

yeap, the Character Model Limit is the biggest killer of FPS, which I don't think Anet will ever fix because of the spaghetti code from the old GW engine.

Its the same in every game, because of having to model after living things (Humans and animals), and realistic movement ,etc. need to contain thousands of polygons, often one character has the same polygons as the entire background scene.

Most terrain and objects in the world are blocky, and easy to model with little to no performance impact.

Character Model Quality is number of polygons per character (Highest is usually ~1000 in games, Lowest usually ~100).Character Model Limit is the total number of character models displayed.(So the two quality settings are multiplicative, putting both on higher settings goes up exponentially.)

@Hannelore.8153 said:

Its the same in every game, because of having to model after living things (Humans and animals), and realistic movement ,etc. need to contain thousands of polygons, often one character has the same polygons as the entire background scene.

Most terrain and objects in the world are blocky, and easy to model with little to no performance impact.

Character Model Quality is number of polygons per character (Highest is usually ~1000 in games, Lowest usually ~100).Character Model Limit is the total number of character models displayed.(So the two quality settings are multiplicative, putting both on higher settings goes up exponentially.)

Yes, but I think especially given Guild Wars 2's engine is more of a bottleneck than more modern engines (on modern hardware) the performance impact is especially large in this case, like @crepuscular.9047 mentioned:)A good trick to have both good fps and no characters on your screen with no personalized appearance (you know, the grey hoodie everybody seems to like xD) is setting the character model quality one value above your character model limit. I recommend putting character model limit on low, but character model quality on medium, this way all models that are being rendered do have their respective appearances and you still have a big fps improvement because the character model quantity is reduced by quite a margin which means more "bandwidth" gained on the render thread for more fps :D! You can try medium/medium as well but I think Low/medium is really worth it.

Character models just create such a performance hit because of all of their movement has to be individually calculated like @Hannelore.8153 said so that setting should never be set to high if you want decent fps in most areas:)!

Model quality/limit but also reflections, shadows, supersample and vertical sync are the options costing the most performances, changing these will be noticable on your fps.They all are pushed to max if you use max preset... so you want to adjust those.Reflections and supersample are costing lot of performances and have near no noticable effects.

• 4 weeks later...

I have almost the same specs as your system and was told to install the d912pxy and I’m glad I did the performance boost I got was fantastic I can now run the game at max setting and am getting 150+ in most areas and rarely drops below 100 even in LA! Now I do see a few miner graphics anomalies from time to time but nothing that’s game breaking! While no third party app is supported by Anet this one will not get you bannedAnet will not give you any tech support if you’re running this and if you ever need to contact support you will need to uninstall it before you do