Legendary Equipment and Templates - [Merged]

I expect the Legendary Armory to not add additional costs to earning legendaries. Why?

@Fire Attunement.9835 said:Here’s a quick description of how it will work—when you bind a legendary item to your account, it will be added to the Legendary Armory.

So when you bind a Legendary item to your account it will be added to the Legendary Armory. So the act of binding the item adds it to the Armory.

@Fire Attunement.9835 said:Here are our goals for the Legendary Armory feature:

• Make it feel more valuable to earn and use legendary equipment, while also making it easier to use legendary items with the Equipment Template feature.

Trying to tack on an additional gemstore charge once you've earned your Legendaries would definitely work against this goal.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:This is THE thing I'm waiting for. Even more than the ex pack.

This is ~A~ thing that has not been needed. It'll help only those with legendary armor. ( carrot ignored, still not gonna do RAIDS )According to the data at gw2Eff, 9% of those registered there have completed the precursor questing for Envoy.

They 'could' monetize it and make it helpful for all gear types like ascended then more people would benefit.

@"Pifil.5193" said:I expect the Legendary Armory to not add additional costs to earning legendaries. Why?You dont have to add more than a few silvers to materials to add alot of cost to legendaries... And if the legendary armoury makes them more "worth it" you can be sure that the material cost will rise.

Then again its honestly so easy to earn gold nowadays.

Do not monetize this feature: legendaries are already heavily monetized and all that will do is disincentivize people from acquiring them, essentially killing the economy.

How are they monetized?

1) Through gem to gold conversions -> anyone who doesn't feel like farming gold can buy the gold outright, I bet plenty of people do this.2) Gear templates themselves -> If the legendary armory essentially acts like it lets you have 1 copy of each legendary per gear template, this increases the value of players adding more gear/stat sets to their arsenals, as they can quickly bring a new gear set online, permanently and easily without stat swapping, by buying the template.

So, is this something coming out on tuesday or at least the next update after that or is it gonna be months from now? Because the initial post acted like it was something that was ready and even said they were implementing it next update and wanting feedback. Then 2 months later thanked us for our feedback but said basically according to our interest they would start working on it and were excited to have us be a part of the developmental process.

I'm going to remain decided pessimistic about this feature. At best, I will be pleasantly surprised if they pull off something like mounts - something I thought would be awful, but ended up beautifully implemented. If I had to put money on it though, I'd bet that it'll end up much more like templates: an inferior solution that costs much more than it deserves.

@monkeyface.5627 said:So, is this something coming out on tuesday or at least the next update after that or is it gonna be months from now? Because the initial post acted like it was something that was ready and even said they were implementing it next update and wanting feedback. Then 2 months later thanked us for our feedback but said basically according to our interest they would start working on it and were excited to have us be a part of the developmental process.

Maybe read the dev posts?Its still in the planing phase, second post clarified it.

Fire Attunement.9835 ArenaNet › May 21, 2020First, thanks to all of you for your input. Your strong reaction and feedback showed us that this would be a worthwhile addition to the game and we can’t wait to get it to you. We’re excited to be able to make you a part of development early on for this feature, and in the coming months we’ll be sharing updates as we move through the implementation process.

@keenedge.9675 said:

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:This is THE thing I'm waiting for. Even more than the ex pack.

This is ~A~ thing that has not been needed. It'll help only those with legendary armor. ( carrot ignored, still not gonna do RAIDS )According to the data at gw2Eff, 9% of those registered there have completed the precursor questing for Envoy.

They 'could' monetize it and make it helpful for all gear types like ascended then more people would benefit.

Templates pretty much ruined the point of legendary utility with how stat swapping and upgrades work with them. The value of ascended skyrocketed because of templates.

A legendary armory is necessary to put legendaries back up to how useful they were. The whole point is that it only benefits legendary equipment because it is that valuable.

For everyone on monetizing this system, think a minute about this. They are adding this armory to an existing template system that is already monetized. Give this armory to people, people will want legendaries more, and with more legendaries different build templates. I bet people buy more templates to complement the armory. No need to monetize anything with it.

On people who want ascended’s added to armory, like they said, this gives extra incentive to have people build legendaries. If you did it for ascended’s too, it would not make it as inticing to make legendaries, so defeats the purpose almost.

@Fire Attunement.9835 said:First, thanks to all of you for your input. Your strong reaction and feedback showed us that this would be a worthwhile addition to the game and we can’t wait to get it to you. We’re excited to be able to make you a part of development early on for this feature, and in the coming months we’ll be sharing updates as we move through the implementation process.

1 Please for the love of God do not make this pay to unlock. You've already monetised it enough eith the game, the expacs and the other gemstore stuff. I've already paid for the legendaries with irl currency, in-game currency AND time played. If you make it pay to unlock that will be the nail in the coffin for myself actually leaving the game, as well as others I know.

2 My suggestion for it would be to have storage similar to the account's achievement points skin unlocks, where you can generate a copy of that item for free at any given time. If it's similar to this the items cloned would be account bound, and unable to be sold to a vendor or salvaged. That way you can get a copy of every legendary you currently own on any character without an extra (unnecessary) cost. That would also fix the issue that might arise from trying to transmute skins onto the same legendary item across different characters. Every character would get their own copy of the legendary that could then be visually changed at will. The only thing to think about here would be how you would implement this without giving people the ability to get Twice Told Legend without actually making a second of the same weapon.

@"Jay RF.8407" said:Are people forgetting that we were already able to easily swap our legendary gear to other character BEFORE we got Anet's build templates. Now, if I want to make full use of my legendary gear, I have to destroy all templates bound with that piece of gear to use it like I could before, on multiple characters. Monitizing this feature will add an additional gem cost to legendary equipment that simply shouldn't be there.

It's amazing how that single "QoL" (read: cash grab) completely gutted my want to do map completion and/or story on alts just because of how much worse swapping legendary gear became. Now I've gotta find what character doesn't have legendary gear if I want to use good gear on an alt temporarily.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

@"DanAlcedo.3281" said:This is THE thing I'm waiting for. Even more than the ex pack.

Templates pretty much ruined the point of legendary utility with how stat swapping and upgrades work with them. The value of ascended skyrocketed because of templates.

A legendary armory is necessary to put legendaries back up to how useful they were. The whole point is that it only benefits legendary equipment because it is that valuable.

Not to mention it made it 1000% more tedious to switch gear between characters. That one single update switched my mindset from "oh wow my legendary gear is useful, I can switch it between toons so easy" to "kitten my life I've gotta remove it from all templates, remember what template had what stats and runes, gotta resocket the runes on the new toon (also infusions if you need those), and then do it all again when switching back". Talk about gutting high end gear convenience with one single patch.

@Miss Lana.5276 said:

@"DanAlcedo.3281" said:This is THE thing I'm waiting for. Even more than the ex pack.

Not to mention it made it 1000% more tedious to switch gear between characters. That one single update switched my mindset from "oh wow my legendary gear is useful, I can switch it between toons so easy" to "kitten my life I've gotta remove it from all templates, remember what template had what stats and runes, gotta resocket the runes on the new toon (also infusions if you need those), and then do it all again when switching back". Talk about gutting high end gear convenience with one single patch.

Its not even about convenience for me.

The legendary armory would give me a goal in gw2 again.

My long time goal of 39k AP is done with this update.

Really need something to work on.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Its not even about convenience for me.

The legendary armory would give me a goal in gw2 again.

My long time goal of 39k AP is done with this update.

Really need something to work on.

Legendary skins are the only thing I've got left to work on in this game. I got one of each armor class via raiding, just got the newest trinkets and weapons to go. However if the armory is monetised I'll be straight up quitting. I'm so done with the greedy and manipulative monetisation tactics.

My policy is if you want money from me, release an expac. The LS episodes are free, therefore I won't be manipulated into pity buying things off the gemstore. If they wanted cash for it they should have released it at a cost.

@Pepsi.3610 said:Is it going to be for legendaries only? Why not also for ascendent gears, since are account bound too?

If we have to pay for a feature, at least make it complete

The idea is to make Legendaries even more valuable by unlocking that equipment piece for account-wide. If they allowed it with ascended there would be no point to Legendaries.

@"Miss Lana.5276" said:

Pre-templates you had to do this anyways (especially if going from a Power to Condi build). The only additional step is removing it from all templates before being able to swap it to another character, or re-setting it up on the character you swapped from. If you're only using 1 gear template tab on all of your characters, then it's completely the same as pre-template.

@bharr.2890 said:Maybe it will come as a core mastery, in the legendary creation line?Maybe an outfit maker might come later? Making copies of legendarys useful for fashion wars for a bit.I just hope the armoury is released soon.

Tying the Legendary Armoury to Mastery Points would be great for the Core Tyria MP since those ones there are 82 available and you only need 49 (a little over half) to max out your Core Tyria Masteries. If they go one step further and make Gen2 tied to HoT, there are 198 Available but you only need 144 to max them all out--including raids. (PoF 130 available, 102 to max.; IBS 23 available, 18 to max)

It'd be nice having an actual use for the Core Mastery points. I can see a bit of frustration in that those with all of the sets now need to do more grinding to get the EXP for the armoury, but it'd at least give them something to shoot for; otherwise they can just ignore it and continue doing what they are currently doing.

Alternatively, ANet could always make it require Dungeon Currencies or an achievement that requires completing the various paths in dungeons (maybe story + 1-2 paths?). That way, makes Dungeons relevant again for a while.

@Geoff Fey.1035 said:The idea is to make Legendaries even more valuable by unlocking that equipment piece for account-wide. If they allowed it with ascended there would be no point to Legendaries.

The trouble is that Legendaries only have value by stat-swapping. This only benefits a small percentage. The looks aren't really a lure. The legendary armory will only benefit the same group of people. So, it will not draw EXTRA people toward them.

Plus, to earn a legendary it requires less popular modes of game-play: PvP, WvW, Raids, and now Strikes. Each of these requires months and months of grind.

EDIT: I was thinking primarily of legendary armor here.If they HAD value, people would want them already. When I want to min-max I use greens/blues and learn what I need THEN craft(or change) ascended pieces.

@"Miss Lana.5276" said:The only thing to think about here would be how you would implement this without giving people the ability to get Twice Told Legend without actually making a second of the same weapon.

This is actually relatively trivial to fix, it isn't the act of acquiring a bound legendary that triggers "Twice Told Legend" it is the act of BINDING a legendary.If they decided to go with the account skin method of acquisition, then the items you acquire will already be bound, and cannot be bound again. This would allow people who want it to still acquire "Twice Told Legend". While it would be completely unnecessary to have the title at this point, people would still do it just like the "I'm Rich You Know" title, that is literally just throwing away 1000g.