So I took advantage of the Guild Wars 2 sale and upgraded an alt. Guild Wars 1 account of mine. I logged into the My Account page, clicked the upgrade button that took me to the purchase page. After completing the purchase and receiving my unlock code and adding it to my account. I logged into guild wars 2 created my first character, completed the my story prolog. As this IS an alt account I used my level 80 booster and completed its access. opening the Hero panel I noticed my name was all alfa code. I have read there are strict reasons why an account cannot change it's Display Name.

But what about accounts that id not get a chance to create a Display Name? How do we create just a display name? Shouldn't there be an option button or something to create a display name once you log in from an upgrade of guild wars 1?

Odd. Maybe they meant the 'difficulties' are high volume, and it would take a long time, as it's a lower priority.You should update your ticket and ask them exactly what they mean. Because they can definitely change your Display Name.At least, they can when they are in the office(s). Maybe it's something to do with working remotely.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Odd. Maybe they meant the 'difficulties' are high volume,I've just heard back from support. No, that's not the reason, but I'm also not sure I can say the exact reason they provided as to why they will not be able to help us. On the other hand it's nice to know I'm not alone. And I'm sure they do have a massive number of tickets as I've seen a huge spike in player population since the sale.

I hope they do provide some kind of notice to let us know we can resubmit another ticket and actually get the support. Or maybe they will make a new tool to give to upgrader's so they get a chance to create a display name? That would remove the need for support to retro create and mess with account health.

In any case, If you've upgraded from a guild wars 1 account as support request isn't going to do much good right now. But maybe in a little while down the road .....?

May the 4th be with you!

Well, they are not out right "refusing" to do it. It's just going to take much longer than expected due to complications. Not sure how much longer hence the "I hope they do provide some kind of notice to let us know we can resubmit another ticket and actually get the support. " because I don't want to keep submitting a ticket that isn't going to get fixed "soonly" just to submit another one. THAT will just bog the system down even more!

Bummer is I'd like to have all my gw1 accounts linked to gw2 one day. I have quite a few given I was mini farming for the elusive Bone Dragon. and 15 years latter + multiple accounts + alts on each account I still have not gotten hat mini!! Sigh

Things are most likely moving much slower due to Covid.

I had an issue wherein I was completely unable to access my account and it took 14 days for me to receive a response to my ticket. I can only imagine how rough CSR jobs are right now; definitely something I'm glad I'm not doing any more.

@B4778B2B-479F-482F-A3FB-17148738697A said:Well, they are not out right "refusing" to do it. It's just going to take much longer than expected due to complications. Not sure how much longer hence the "I hope they do provide some kind of notice to let us know we can resubmit another ticket and actually get the support. " because I don't want to keep submitting a ticket that isn't going to get fixed "soonly" just to submit another one. THAT will just bog the system down even more!

Bummer is I'd like to have all my gw1 accounts linked to gw2 one day. I have quite a few given I was mini farming for the elusive Bone Dragon. and 15 years latter + multiple accounts + alts on each account I still have not gotten hat mini!! Sigh

Just to make sure...you are aware you need a Guild Wars 2 account for each of your Guild Wars accounts; one-to-one.

Unlikely they will provide any notice; you will have to try again after things get back to normal. Perhaps, it's something to do with being away from the studio. /shrug

Yes, I do know gw1 to gw2 linking is a 1 to 1.

@"032CA6AC-9F64-0EDB-B242-E3300069060A.7186" said:I have the exact same issue, but was told that they are having difficulties and to "watch the forums" for news and get back to them.

@"032CA6AC-9F64-0EDB-B242-E3300069060A.7186" Is the only reason I hope they would let us know. When I was technical support and something on our end had issue preventing customer support (all be it extremely rarely!) it was our responsibility to recontact and resolve those tickets. I would also think Anreanet to be of at least that caliber level.. Not saying much , even considering the scenario of COVID AND product sale, if your "solution" is close the ticket because we can't do it right now and not respond again!?

Just saying. They have been, in the pas,t at least that caliber by adding a comment or note in the release notes about a topic that has caused some problems. So I'm and I am sure others are kind of expecting that also if what @"032CA6AC-9F64-0EDB-B242-E3300069060A.7186" says is accurate.

In any case we will see, now that sales are over that should help calm things down a little but then in 2 weeks we have the release. Rest assured I'll be keeping an eye out and resubmit my ticket in a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this up because amidst ALL the other issues going on right now some of us still haven't been given a resolution approaching a month long now. I can accept that some other issues taking place do take priority. As our tickets approach a month now we are getting our customer surveys signifying a close to the ticket. I just don't want those of us in the this situation to be forgotten!

Also, has anyone with this issue had their ticket resolved and the display name created successfully?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, im on a different yet similar boat, its not about my display name but linking gw1 and gw2 accounts (made the mistake to link to gw2 beta account back then...)While they confirmed me they can do it, its now been a while im waiting for it, im thinking now maybe they dont do those kind of deep changes on case by case basis but rather as a batch once every often? im not sure really its just assumptions, but its definitly not a normal operation as you would think, its not just update the database corresponding field, and theres nothing in the game to alter those things.That or they just are not able to cope with the ammount of tickets at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Something odd must be going on with the CS Team's abilities, because: https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000728148-I-Want-to-Change-My-Display-NameI agree 100%, I just don't know if it is witin my bounds to say or not so....I'm not.

Another odd thing, B4778B.... etc. does not have the 4 numbers after his/her Display Name. Not seen that before.

I don't even have a Display name, that's why I made the post. I have characters with names but no display name.

CS Team are we able to have our Display Names fixed yet? Given our tickets will just get closed after a while with no resolution and so as not to increase ticket volumes. I am asking here instead.Please let us know when we can submit a ticket to resolve this issue as my display name still has not been changed.

Thank You! :)

The son of my friend just had his Display Name changed this weekend. I was surprised, because his previous Display Name did not qualify for a Name Change, at all. Wasn't a UNID, like yours, nor was it his real name; it was just one word, as well.Now, of course, he displays three different names on the various friend's lists, guild lists, mailing lists, etc.

You might ask the CS Team, again. If they still say no, ask to have your ticket escalated to a Senior Team Member.

Good luck.

I can tell you about my experience, because - due to privacy issue - I had my Display Name changed.Never met any side effects. My new display name is working properly on every possible game list - so there's no rule, but probably it's a bit risky.

.As Inculpatus said, I'd recommend you to submit another ticket and ask for more details.The GM I spoke to was very helpful. The whole operation took 4 days from my first message. Wish you luck with your name :)

I had the same issue and support fixed it for me. They warned that a display name change can have some unfixable side-effects due to some things that may still be linked to the old display name. I decided to not join a guild or make a character on my GW2 account until after the display name change and doing this way I never had a single problem.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/65209/choose-display-name